Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Can you help me with an identity crisis?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Can you help me with an identity crisis?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 08:38 AM
Suhler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you help me with an identity crisis?

I need help identifying a rather large RC gas heli. After 7 hours of research, I have yet to figure out what it is. The blade grips say Vario, so I naturally went there, but there isn't a single heli with a frame close to it. I have only found 2 online pictures of it so far, so I'm at a loss. If anyone can identify it, I would be very greatful. Thanks!

It is a 5-6 foot rotor span, over 6 year old, 26cc 2 stroke gas powered heli, completely made of carbon fiber, with a camera gymbal on the front end. Some VERY distinctive features of this heli are the red dome that sits overtop of the gimbal, but doesn't extend down the sides, just sits overtop it, and the struts for the tail sit on top of the tailboom, not underneath like most helis. Another key feature is that the fuel tank sits right next to the top of the motor, almost level with the swashplate, very high up within the frame. Attached are the pictures I found, and some pictures of the frame. I'm trying to get this heli in the air, and need to know what it is so I can manufacture parts if I need to. I have a feeling, from what I found from the US forest services, that this is a Whirly bird WB 80, but Whirly Bird RC no longer exists, and I can't find any information that they ever did. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

What I found on the US forest services:http://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/programs/im/aerial/uav.shtml#uav02

The helicopter pictured at the bottom, with the discovery team, is the heli I'm trying to find:http://www.digisatel.com/rotor_uav.html
You can see the high fuel tank and struts on top, as well as the dome, which is red.

Attached are more pictures I took of the heli. It has sat in a box for quite a few years, and the owner and I are getting it out and restoring it to flying condition. Most of the screws have surface rust only, and the engine starts, so it just needs some replacement parts to get it flying.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70280.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	1874818   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98058.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	1874819   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12786.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	1874820   Click image for larger version

Name:	If10626.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	1874821  
Old 04-21-2013, 10:56 AM
jmann71

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Can you help me with an identity crisis?

it looks like it may have been a purpose built from different parts, but parts may be vario. They may be able to help if you contact them. not sure where to go from there