Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

A question about Wind.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 06:03 PM
Redharris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A question about Wind.

A few questions actually.
I live in Southern California. Van Nuys to be exact, which is a suburb of Los Angeles.
I am a Novice with full collective helis. Currently, I am learning on a Blade mCP X BL, which is a Micro 3 axis heli. It is capable of full aerobatics although I am NOT.
I fly mostly in my livingroom, but I can and DO fly it outdoors when conditions are calm. Its tough flying outdoors though if there is even a slight Breeze.
I am looking to buy my first full size helli. Due to budget constraints it will be a 400 to 450 size bird,
It is ALWAYS breezy here, often Windy. Very RARELY are conditions totally calm.

Question 1.) What kind of wind conditions can a 400-450 size Heli fly in?

2.) How do I go about Estimating actual wind speed?

3.) Are hand held windmeters (anerometers?) accurate or do I rely on weather reports?

4.) Am I asking the right or wrong questions here? Please feel free to educate me....Lol
Old 09-20-2013, 03:41 AM
RMB677

I'm somewhat in the same boat. I fly a Blade 450 on the front lawn, 100'W X 300'L between the trees. I gauge whether or not to fly by the movement of the tree branches, only leaves moving - I can usually manage, branches moving- forget it. It's not so much the constant breeze that gets me it's the unexpected gusts that lift and then slam the heli down. As to size, from what I've read the larger helis are more tollerant of wind though you have to be ever alert.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:57 AM
ATVAlliance

Welcome to the addiction!

If you can see fit to slightly expand your budget, I would go for a 500 over the 400-450 size heli. The 500 really isnt THAT much more of an expense and it flies better all the way around. It doesnt cost much more to crash (rebuild) a 500 over a 450.

On the wind part. Just get a windsock and if the sock is totally "horizontal"...that means it is probably "too much wind" for you in the beginning stages. I am now in my 4th year of the RC hobby and 3rd in my heli flying. I am not a 3D pilot but can fly all of the helis I own and can fly them in almost ANY wind. So much so that when its blowing 15-20 I only fly helis and leave my planes at home.

helis fly much easier in wind than anything else Ive tried in RC flight. I even fly my mCPX in 10+ MPH winds with no issues.

goodluck!
Old 09-22-2013, 11:00 PM
Solman

I personally never go by wind speed. If I feel it is marginal, I will hover or fly and if it is too rough, then will just land. One thing that helps flying in stronger wind is going flybarless. The wind will ultimately still affect it, but it definitely makes a difference. I do agree, a 500 is overall better in visibility, stability, and increased resistance against wind.