Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Use helicopter reduction drive for airplane prop? Airplane guy needs help.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Use helicopter reduction drive for airplane prop? Airplane guy needs help.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 10:51 AM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Use helicopter reduction drive for airplane prop? Airplane guy needs help.

I'm an airplane guy who needs help from a heli guy. I want to turn scale props with a glow engine on models of early aircraft (1910 to 1918 era) using a reduction drive. I need to get down in the range of 2000 to 3000 rpm at full power. It occurred to me that glow powered helicopters have reduction drives to get the rotors spinning at relatively low rpm. I don't know what speed heli rotor blades turn at. Does anyone think it would be possible to take or cut that part out of a heli frame and use it to drive an airplane prop?

I realize the rpm would be quite low. I would be going for high diameter-high pitch-low rpm. Can I do this with heli parts? What sort of rpm are the rotors designed to turn at?

Thanks much for any help.

Jim
Old 12-12-2013, 04:14 PM
lbarnes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting idea, but the gears may not stand up to the torque. Also the glow engines have a clutch to let the blades spin up to speed.
The heli blades are spinning at a constant speed and the pitch is changed to give upward/forward flight. If you throttled down the blades may not be biting the air due to the clutch.

Then again I could be a wrong (that's what my wife says all the time )

Larry
Old 12-13-2013, 05:31 AM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Larry, I hadn't thought about the clutch and the blades turning at constant speed. Jim