Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Newbie turbine helicopter questions

Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Newbie turbine helicopter questions

Old 06-18-2014, 04:26 PM
Justflying1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Newbie turbine helicopter questions

Hello,
i would like to set up a scale helicopter. I'm interested in a Hughes, cobra or Sikorsky helicopter.
It must have a scale cockpit and preferably fit the Wren turbine.
I do fly Jets but this will be my first turbine helicopter. I only want to fly scale and not interested in any fancy staff after all can't fly like that. My previous experience is two MXPX and a 500 MSH Protos fly barless.
Who sells these kits.
I want a reputable brand and I also need some guidance as this will be my first. I also want to set up a scale rotor head so possible I want a brand that can accommodate a nice scale Heli that I can fly occasionally.

Thank you.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:31 AM
Justflying1

What no decant Scale heli for the Wren turbine in the above types?
Is there any decant scale helicopters for this turbine anyone can recommend.?
As stated only interested in scale.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:58 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Going to take a stab in the dark here.............

I'm willing to bet that the response you are getting is based on the experience level you have put forward on the opening post. Acquire some more experience, and the questions will answer themselves.

In the meantime, you could ask the same question here: http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/f54p1/ and see what type of responses roll in.

Rafael
Old 06-23-2014, 01:16 PM
Justflying1

Thank you for the link. Yes my experience with turbine heli is 0. I don't hang out with any turbine heli flyers and don't plan to so I have to work out this one with help on the forum. No I can't fly 3 D but I can fly scale well. I mite have only flown MXPX and a 500 size heli but whats the big deal. So far from what I have flown the bigger one is easier to fly as in more stable.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:06 AM
Rafael23cc

I see a couple of potential problems here... Let's break them down:

I don't hang out with any turbine heli flyers and don't plan to so I have to work out this one with help on the forum.
Why not? Any "hands on" experience you get is going to be more valuable than 1000 posts in a forum. In the forums we get what are called "arm-chair experts" also known as "keyboard experts" that will provide nothing but sending you in wild-goose chases.

I mite have only flown MXPX and a 500 size heli but whats the big deal.
Have you ever even held a 90-sized or 700 sized helicopter? Have you been in front of one when it spools up? Are you capable of the attention to detail required to maintain and fix a 25-pound helicopter spinning 800mm sized blades? THAT IS THE BIG DEAL. If size does not intimidate you, you are not ready.

So far from what I have flown the bigger one is easier to fly as in more stable.
So far that is correct. bigger is easier to fly. But in the meantime, why not get a 600 or even a 700 sized helicopter of your liking to "move-up-to" the turbine. In the USA, the AMA requires any prospect turbine owner to show proficiency on a high performance 90/700 sized helicopter before they can fly the turbine helicopter. I assume that the Australian counterpart of the AMA should have similar requisites for a turbine pilot.

In my 20+ years in the hobby, I've seen a lot of people with more money than brains, that asked the same questions: What's the big deal? It's only a toy helicopter! Luckily none of them ended up hurting themselves or someone else. Please, NEVER ask what is the big deal again.

I commend you for asking here about turbine helicopters before going out and buying one. Shows that you have the brains that others seem to lack.

Rafael
Old 06-24-2014, 03:30 PM
Justflying1

Hi Rafael,
the only reason I don't hang out with turbine heli guys is because there are none at my club.
As seeing large size models yes there are numerous 600,700,800 size heli at my club. Most 99% only fly mild to hard 3D.
I do respect the danger of them and I have always practised safety weather I'm flying a small heli or plane or one of my larger turbine jets.
Il be honest that when it comes to setting up heli I always rely on someone else for the programming but I sure can fly scale including figure 8, canopy in and out, hover, decent at an angle etc.
I was only asking as I really love scale heli and find it hard to go and spend $3000 on a scale heli that's electric. I would rather spend more and do a proper turbine one. However I'm happy to take advise and if that's the way I should go well il look into it and try and set it up my self. There are some really nice electric scale manufacturers out there that I know of.
Thank you for your time.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:55 AM
Rafael23cc

I did not mean to sound disrespectful, I was just making sure that you knew what you were getting into and potentially preventing an accident.

Don't knock down the electric flyers, sometimes they are a lot easier to set-up, fly and maintain than a fuel powered helicopters. I am with you, there is something about the smell of burned fuel that prevents me from diving too deep into electrics.

Good luck.
Rafael