Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Returning to hobby after 8 years

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Returning to hobby after 8 years

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 10:11 AM
voodoodrul
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Returning to hobby after 8 years

I realize this might be misguided to ask, but I used to fly mostly Thunder Tiger Raptor 50s and 60s, running a Futaba 9C radio and GY401 gyro. That's back when flybars were still king and before the 2.4ghz switch. I am wondering how the tech has changed and what would be a good platform to start again with. I used to be moderately decent with tame 3D flight, being more graceful in flight than extreme. So I don't need something that is all about fast response, but I do want something free of slop and responds to input without being a cracked out hummingbird.

Thanks for any advice!
Old 02-07-2015, 05:00 PM
etpompea

Raptor 50s and 60s are still viable helis. Parts are still available for the 50s, somewhat less for the 60s. One big improvement over the years is that servos are faster and stronger. If you still have everything you probably will have to put new bearings in the engines and new batteries in the radio. Unless there's some very compelling reason to switch to 2.4ghz, you should leave everything as it is and go fly!
Old 02-07-2015, 05:02 PM
etpompea

And maybe get a sim so you can brush up and practice on when you can't fly.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:37 PM
voodoodrul
My Feedback: (9)

Thank you etpompea. I should clarify that I sold all my gear years ago, so I'd be looking to buy all new stuff. It's good to know that the 50s are still viable. I suppose the Futaba 7C or 8J and another Raptor 50 set with head upgrades would be a decent choice to start over with.
Old 09-26-2015, 01:05 PM
Ramjet

I'm lucky compared to you. I still have the major components :Radio, Heli's, Planes, on Ducted Fan F-15.
Lost all my accessories in a sudden move so I'm getting a new Sim (Old one won't run on new computer)
and Chargers, Batteries (all must be replaced), fuel management tools, Starter, ect.

I'm working on my X-Cell Carbon Fury adding a new Scale body, lights, ect.

Bottom line: Have FUN !!!