Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

New to the Hobby

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 04:19 PM
69wedge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the Hobby

Ok First off I am new to the hobby and have played with the small twin rotor choppers and moved up to a Larger Cheap inport Fusion chopper. Still a Twin rotor counter rotation style unit. I am trying to Hone my skills somewhat Before stepping up to a better unit ? I thought it would be a good idea ? Being an ex racer and shop owner at 55 years young I am looking forward to this hobby !!
My Q here is a Trex 450 or 500 a good choice to jump into ?
I realy want some input from you guys who have been there done that kinda deal !
Any input and help is good. Thank you and look forward to this site !
Tj
Old 07-21-2016, 11:47 PM
Solman

I would suggest a flight simulator, it the best learning tool. A 450 will work and can be toned down. I really like the 500 myself. Be careful though, these machines can and have killed.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:31 PM
Krasher67

I know I'm replying to an old post, and agree that the simulator will pay for itself pretty quickly, but isn't it quite a jump in skill from a twin counter-rotating heli to a collective pitch Heli?

Also, wouldn't it be cheaper to learn (and crash) on a smaller heli (like a nano CPS) than on something big/expensive like a Trex 450/500?
Old 02-21-2017, 07:13 PM
homeunt
My Feedback: (3)

I actually had a friend who jumped from $100 cheap one from futureshop, to a $800 TREX 450 Pro V2, I tried to tell him it was a bad choice and to check with me before the first flight. Apparently the helicopter fell apart during the very first spin up.