Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Old equipment

Old 07-15-2018, 04:14 PM
Dudeface9986

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old equipment

Ok, here's the situation. I am just getting into this hobby. My dad has had T-Rex 450sa for I'd say around 10 years, maybe more. It has been on the shelf for most that time. When I told him I was looking for one to buy, he told me to"crash his first before I buy a new one". So he gave it to me yesterday. Has a spektrum DX6 park flyer system transmitter and a spektrum AR6000 parkflier receiver. Dad says that it is really hard to fly. And according to a hell guru buddy of mine says one reason is cause this receiver is mentioned for an airplane, not heli. The heli does have a futaba GY240 S.M.M. rate gyro on it. What is all your thoughts? Can I upgrade the receiver to help stability? Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:39 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

I think you mean the transmitter is for an airplane. Receivers don't care. Heli's have mixing functions that airplanes don't like rotor pitch and throttle curve. The DX6 is a pretty basic radio
Old 07-16-2018, 06:51 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

BTW, because RC heli systems have advanced so much over the last 10 years I recommend that as someone new ti RC you get a complete new RTF heli to learn to fly. One with a good stability flight control system built in. Once you master that you can go back to the Trex. And no, you don't need to learn to fly planes first but learning to drive a cheap car can help you learn to reverse your thinking when flying toward you instead of away from you. I had a friend who was an excellent, and I mean expert, plane pilot who could not fly his heli facing toward him. He would drag race away from him and then fly it backwards to get it back to him.
Old 12-31-2018, 11:01 AM
grich

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recommend a simulator first. Learn to hover in all directions, then move in all directions. This helped many a heli pilot including me.