Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

whats best?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 04:29 PM
drivercrazy23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats best?

What would be better the sceadu evo 30 or the shuttle plus? Im on a budget and looking for a good quality heli. my other choices are the quick learner 30,raptor 30, and century sport 30. Would the sceadu or shuttle be better?

Thanks
Old 10-16-2003, 11:33 AM
alvin1

Default RE: whats best?

personaly i would go for the quick 30 as this offers the best value for money,however in answer to your question,the sceadu would be the better choice over the shuttle as it comes with bearings in the control system whereas the shuttle does not.bearings should be a priority,the shuttle parts wear quickly with the supplied bushings and although upgrading to bearings is not too difficult,it is better to simply buy a kit with bearings in the first place.
Old 10-16-2003, 04:37 PM
drivercrazy23

It still wouldnt be that hard to bearings in the shuttle right? Like when your building it just pop out the bushings and put bearings in instead. What else wears on the shuttle? also anybody have a link to this heli. Im just wanting some more info about it. Im not sure still of which heli to get. Could you also include a link to the evo 30. Thanks guys
Old 10-21-2003, 04:38 AM
alvin1

the swashplate ball joint will wear as it's all plastic,the see saw will wear as it's on bushings, the flybar assembly will wear as this too is on bushings,the collective pitch mixing lever wears as this is on bushings and also the blade grips will wear at the point where the bearings fit inside,this is dangerous and can easily cause a crash because the blades will go about 1 inch out of track and loose lift rapidly.....................all this after only 6 months! you can replace the bushings with bearings as you build and this i highly recomend the job is not too difficult the main problem will be in making sure you have the correct bearings to start with.as for the blade grip and collective pitch mixing lever problem problem,you can wrap some plumbing ptfe tape around the bearings and this will remove the problem or an alternative would be to glue the bearings with epoxy
Old 10-21-2003, 04:40 PM
drivercrazy23

Thats wearing on the shuttle pluse right? I think I am going to go with the sceadu evo 30 or the raptor 30 im still not quite sure which to pick. what would you guys get? there both the same price and everything. also anybody know were to get hirobo/sceadu parts? my local supplyer has alot of raptor stuff, a little bit of century stuff, but no sceadu stuff, my supplyer can order it but thats a wait and him jacking up the price of the parts. Well what would be the better heli, flying wise and quality wise.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:41 AM
alvin1

both the raptor and the sceadu are good heli's, most people at my club are of the opinion that the sceadu is slightly better than the raptor for 3d flying,although i can't comment on this personally.the parts in my country are a fair bit cheaper for the raptor than the sceadu.if you do decide on a raptor,then buy the version that is fully ballraced,as there is a version that has only 29 bearings in it as opposed to a full complement.if your supplier has a readily available source of parts for the raptor then i would seriously consider this heli over the sceadu as you will be able to get parts easily as opposed to waiting for your supplier to order the parts for a sceadu
Old 11-07-2003, 11:47 PM
Isaac F

If you are new to helis, I sugest you go with the Hirobo Shuttle Plus. This is one of the best beguiner helis. Is very easy to set up or to fix it. Also the same is the Century Hawk 30 BUT since you are a beguiner I also sugest you to buy a heli that also you buddys on your field have. This way they can teach you and help you in any situation since they already know the machine.

Also get a heli that you can find easy the spare parts because as a newbe you will crash and you will want to buy spare parts quickly without delays.

Good lock,

Isaac
Old 11-24-2003, 10:33 PM
alvincfi

Ahhh.. how many times this question is asked?

Well I am flying the Shuttle ZXX... basically a bearinged version of the Plus that you are thinking of, and I have had 3 raptors, 2 30's and 1 60. So from my perspective, I would personally go for the Raptor 30 V2 with TT .39 You can get this set up at www.heliproz.com for $339 shipped. That is cheaper than what you can get an evo for similar Evo is $299 engine not included. I would have to agree that the Hirobo products are abit better in quality, but not enough to make a difference when you are talking about a starting out heli. Plus you will get full bearings with the raptor and it can take you from hovering to 3d in one heli. It is upgradeble to the 50 size when you really start in on the 3d. Also as you begin to learn you will begin to crash and the raptor will help you there as well. The parts are cheaper and there are tons of upgrades available. And as you said your lhs has parts available. Now the TT .39 does take some time breaking in, but since you will just be starting then I wouldn't worry about it since you will be learning how to hover for awhile anyway. By the time you are set for FF it should be broken in just follow the break in instructions. I think for price, upgradeability,performance,simplicity, and crash/repair index, its hard to beat a raptor.
Old 11-24-2003, 10:41 PM
alvincfi

I almost forgot.. if you do go with the Shuttle plus you can upgrade it to basically a ZXX by spending $60, you can order a ball bearing upgrade kit from Boca Bearing (Boca part number H15-07B). This upgrade kit includes 20 bearings and puts ball bearings at every rotation point including all the servo bellcranks. They even ship free to the USA. As far as the swashplate, I think the new Shuttle Plus' are coming with upgraded metal/composite swashplates.
Old 11-26-2003, 07:48 PM
Tubes

For the simple fact that spare parts are readily available for the Raptor, I would say that getting one is a good idea. I myself fly the Century Hawk Sport, available on-line with an OS 32-SXH and a full bearing upgrade for $298. I have never used a Thunder Tiger engine before, but how often do you hear people complaining about an OS engine.... NEVER. They just run great. The Sport has all metal balls for the links, no plastic. I learned to fly on it and it is very stable in my opinion. I know people who have flown them for years with nothing wearing out. The clutch is self aligning too. It has the same head design as the Miniature Aircraft X-Cell and is easy to setup. I don't really know anything about the Hirobo line but have seen them fly and they seen nice.
I hope this helped[8D]

Reuben