Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Exhaust for a Kyosho 46VR with OS50SX engine?

Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Exhaust for a Kyosho 46VR with OS50SX engine?

Old 10-26-2003, 09:08 PM
DSA.308
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust for a Kyosho 46VR with OS50SX engine?

I have a Kyosho 46VR with a OS50SX engine in it. I had gotten the heli from a guy in Okinawa Japan with all the ZEAL upgrades allready on it. I stripped out one of the exhaust bolt holes and need a new exhaust. I found a Hatori at Century model#CNH505 for 89.95. I need a exhaust that the hole in the exhaust is parellel to the length of the pipe, due to the unique engine mounting in the 46VR. Does anyone know of a exhaust that will work besides the Hatori one I allready found? Much thanks to anyone who can help!
Old 10-28-2003, 08:00 AM
meldert

Default RE: Exhaust for a Kyosho 46VR with OS50SX engine?

Hi there!

I have a concept 46 VR with an OS50SX and a Zimmerman muffler, they make one especially for the 46 VR so i has the exhaust port parallel to the length of the muffler. The muffler is made of stainless steel as all zimmermans and it producer a lot of power an a wonderful sound.

Stainless steel may sound heavier than aluminum but there is really no big difference since you nee a lot less material when you use steel.

There is one small problem when you combine this muffler with the OS50SX the muffler is made for the 46 which has a different carburetor. on the OS50SX the post (not sure what to call it but i hope you understand what i mean) for the throttle arm is a bit (about 1-2 mm) too long the throttle arm therefor hits the big zimmerman muffler. The fix is relatively easy you can shorten the throttle post a bit or (like i do) use a gasket between the engine and the muffler which increases the distance between the two thus allowing room for the throttle arm. I also put the ball link on the inside of the arm towards the engine but I don't think that is necessary.

In spite of this little problem I can really recommend the zimmerman muffler it has a big volume so the power from th engine is awesome compared to the small standard muffler not that you really need it the 46 VR may be an old design but its a !QUOT!pocket rocket!QUOT! right out of the box.

If you want i can take some pictures of the muffler and engine combination an post them here as soon as i get home from work.

/Mattias
Old 10-28-2003, 02:20 PM
DSA.308

Yes, please do...... On my 46VR, the exhaust is on the opposite side of the throttle assembly though...... Also do you know of a company that I could get the Zimmerman muffler from in the USA? I would much prefer to ditch the aluminum exhaust in favor of a stainless steel, due to the aluminum stripping out! Thanks for any help you can provide, its much appreciated!
Old 10-29-2003, 05:17 PM
meldert

Hello again!
It took me a day extra, but here are the pics:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16610.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	70975   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cy77689.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	70976   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb76160.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	70977   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lf94592.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	70978  
Old 10-29-2003, 05:26 PM
meldert

I bought the muffler from a company here in Sweden, unfortunately they don't ship international.

But I found i here:
[link=http://www.modelhelicopters.co.uk/acatalog/MUFFLERS_PIPES_MANIFOLDS.html]http://www.modelhelicopters.co.uk/acatalog/MUFFLERS_PIPES_MANIFOLDS.html[/link]

Scroll down about 2/3 of the page and you will find it. They don't have a picture of the 46VR version but you can choose it from the drop down list.

Good luck!

By the way here is a picture of the aluminum exhaust gasket I mentioned earlier which can be found at quickuk.com. The OS50/OS46 version is the one in the middle.
Attached Images  
Old 10-29-2003, 05:33 PM
meldert

Oh, by the way:

The hole in the middle of the muffler i actually a small tube straight thru the muffler which allows access (you have to use a long screwdriver) to the low end needle on the OS46 carburetor. On the OS50 it isn't really needed although it allows you reach the screw to adjust the angle of the throttle arm.

/Mattias
Old 10-29-2003, 09:53 PM
DSA.308

Excellent, I really appreaciate the help!