Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Nose In Hover

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 11:14 PM
hou_ge2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nose In Hover

Anyone here who is good at this?

I'm starting out in heli and recently I'm practicing both regular hover and nose in hover at the same time. I've beginning to get good at both. Is this the right way to go?

Is nose in hover one of the harder things to do in RC heli?
Old 11-05-2003, 05:05 AM
planelazy

Default RE: Nose In Hover

Yes it is one of the more difficult to learn. I think it is a good idea to learn as soon as you can before you start flying circuits.Too many have crashed because they did not know it. Tim
Old 11-05-2003, 07:36 AM
polstery

As long as the outcome is the same (you learn to fly) thats the way to go. Keep it up!!!
Old 11-05-2003, 07:56 AM
Spaceman Spiff
My Feedback: (1)

Its hard to keep orientation when hovering nose in, upside down,,, but bigger chalanges are ahead of you. By far the hardest part for me so far is flying in the different possition. i've been trying to learn to fly backwards for months on the simulator, finally begining to get it well enough to try it for a few seconds at a time on the model.
Old 11-05-2003, 03:58 PM
da_man
My Feedback: (30)

Naturally you will always be better tail in than nose in, but you want to try to get comfortable hovering nose in. Make sure you learn to hover from both sides as well. After you do this then when you learn to fly around it is not as big of a step.
Old 11-12-2003, 10:50 PM
wingspan99
My Feedback: (2)

If you have the sim, set the takeoff position for nose-in and set the fuel to run out in one minute. This way you'll practice nose-in takeoffs and hovering every restart, and an auto every minute and when you least expect it. -Tom
Old 11-13-2003, 09:29 AM
knpjdad
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a great idea! "wingspan99" I'll have to go home and setup my sim like that tonight!

Thanks! [8D]
Old 11-16-2003, 04:29 AM
andy36

i did tail in ,side in ,8's then pirrouettes then nose in hover,8's helped me get used to heli pointing straight at me,the way to go is the one your most at ease with,then keep trying something new but then return to familiar ground.ie tail in for novice.good work!!
Old 11-16-2003, 04:31 AM
andy36

!!!keep it up!!!
Old 11-17-2003, 03:57 PM
HenRam

One mistake I made when learing how to nose in hover is that I always rotated the nose the the left... I eventually got good at rotating to the left and continuing with a nose in hover, but when I rotated to the right, I would lose my orientation even though I already have been nose in hovering for some time....

My recommendation, practice getting into the nose in over from both the right and left at the same time so you don't be come used to approching it from one direction only....
Old 11-17-2003, 07:11 PM
rscamp

ORIGINAL: wingspan99

If you have the sim, set the takeoff position for nose-in and set the fuel to run out in one minute. This way you'll practice nose-in takeoffs and hovering every restart, and an auto every minute and when you least expect it. -Tom
Yes this is a great idea. I never thought of the fuel thing, but I always take off and land nose in on the sim. As a result, I am as comfortable nose in as nose out.

Rob
Old 11-18-2003, 10:19 PM
vector3

Practice turning both directions everytime you fly, helps in the long run.

Chris
Old 11-18-2003, 11:06 PM
DSA.308
My Feedback: (6)

Just imagine..... flying a real helicopter doesnt require any of this stuff! Orientation is a given when your sitting in the drivers seat......it would be abstract and strange for a real helicopter pilot to even think of "nose in hover" when they sit with their body and eyes looking out of the front window! Now I am really starting to wonder......what takes more skills....flying a model helicopter at the top level, or being a BASIC pilot in a real helicopter? Im guessing the model helicopter pilot has much more work on his hands! Anyone who flies the 'real thing' care to give their oppinions?
Old 11-19-2003, 04:53 PM
andy36

i'd love to fly the real thing however i dont but i agree even basic rc piloting is more difficult than the real thing stands to reason on the orientation score.To actually fly the real thing though on other scores,instrumentation,air traffic control communication etc would be much more difficult i think and hair raising....those power lines really get in the way!!!!
Old 11-21-2003, 01:24 PM
plawrence45
My Feedback: (1)

I've seen quite a few full-scale pilots with thousands of hours try to fly RC.
They have said RC is much more difficult because of your perspective to the aircraft.
Also, when your in the bird you can 'feel' what is happening in the seat of your pants.
Old 11-21-2003, 04:31 PM
wisdom-seeker

The real thing is much easier according to my father, who flew helicopters before they
ever thought of using gyros for control stability (1940's). He says that the detached
point of view is terribly confusing.
Old 11-21-2003, 09:15 PM
DSA.308
My Feedback: (6)

PLAWRENCE, you bring up a HUGE point I forgot to mention, and that is being able to feel whats happening, in the real aircraft. I bet that one part in of itself, is one of the main things in flying a real heli well, is being able to respond, and give input control by simply the 'feel' or whats happening. I would also say Wisdom seeker, thats a great way to describe flying the models.....it is very detached! As anyone whos learned to fly the model type knows, first hand, and probably a result of a crash at some point or another...[:@]
Old 11-23-2003, 08:17 AM
w.pasman

I did both tail-in and nose-in practice with inverted. For me it just doubled the training time or maybe even slower: I guess I would have learned tail-in hover at least twice as fast if I owuld not exercise nose-in at the same time. However the good point is that you don't get a 'good' and a 'bad' side.
Old 11-28-2003, 10:55 PM
skratneem

can some one plz explain me me what tail-in and nose-in are and any other tpyes of hovering there are
Old 11-29-2003, 12:52 PM
andy36

tail in is tail pointing toward controller,nose in is nose pointing toward controller,sideways .inverted(upside down)
Old 11-29-2003, 10:46 PM
bluesilver30

i am getting a hummingbird very soon, already ordered and stuff. i have some expierence with rc planes, and i fly cessna's in real life. so i can give my imput on that.

for the actual "flying" of the plane vs the RC plane is easier. you can feel the plane's movements, and you can feel stiffness in the controls as the plane gets more stessed. for RC planes, you can rip the wings off and you wouldn't feel a thing. for rc planes, you have to remember 2 sets of controls. tail in and nose in, for planes you only have to remember one set.

what makes flying real planes harder isnt the flying itself, but what you do in addition. you have to monitor a lot of instruments, your engine status, you have to be constantly looking out for traffic, always keeping in mind where you could land if your engine went out, navigation, then just flying the plane.

so, as a parallel to the hardness of RC helicopters and real choppers, i would say that flying the RC version is harder.
Old 11-30-2003, 08:54 PM
windbeater

There is alot more to the real thing then these models, I would never try to compare the two on the terms of difficulty. Being a aviation mechanic for several years and seeing what pilots must go thru in terms of certification and training is something an RC pilot will never have to deal with. However trying to control a aircraft from the ground requires alot of practice coupled in with trial and error, but the good news is crash a model and walk away something full size aircraft pilots cant say.
Old 12-01-2003, 12:43 PM
markfsanderson

As a private pilot, and have had (about 7 years ago) about 5 years of RC A/C experience I personally believe that the physical act of flying an RC A/C is more difficult than a 'full scale' aircraft. Having said that, everything else is much more difficult in a full scale:

1) Decision Making
2) Navigation
3) Pre Flight
4) Radio Work
5) Emergency Procedures

The list goes on and on . . .

Regards,
Mark F. Sanderson
PP/VFR C172, C15X, Piper Warrior, Tiger (Tin Cans!)
Old 01-17-2004, 05:13 PM
jeffgar

Yea I would agree with that too. I fly full size helis and fixed wings and have been flying RC for 20+ years. Learning to fly full size helis is very demanding and the academics and judgement required are pretty intense. Many of the full sized helis are very sensitive in hover and the difference between hovering and whirling towards a tree is just a matter of a wrist flick or stab of a toe. I'm currently working on my commercial ticket and the emergency procedures really aren't for the faint of heart... specially the autorotations after an unexpected simulated loss of engine power. The engine chops, you come down at 2000 feet a minute and one way or the other you will be on the ground in about 10 seconds; in one piece or not depending on how you react.

Having said that... I'm still trying to learn to fly RC helis after 7 or 8 years of off and on trying. I do the simulator and practice with the model. I am getting decent at tail in hover and flying it from right to left and vice versa with a pickup, and landing at each end. Nose in still scares the crap out of me and I have dinged the heli many times trying that. I don't have a problem with orientation when the model is in forward flight but once it comes to a hover with the nose in I just get disoriented and lose it. Same thing happens if I try to just pick it up nose in.

I think both are a hoot to fly and both require lots of disciplined training to master. My hat is off to anybody that flies RC helis without re-kitting them every couple of flights.
Old 01-17-2004, 05:37 PM
andy36

ok i'll reveal my secret of nose in hovering for unlimited(well almost)time
all you have to do is pretend that the heli is a large circular wing!!now to continue ,swing the heli from tail in 180 degrees at a good height(at least 25foot) and well away from you..ok so far?right now your quaking,all you gotta do is...."LIFT THE WING THAT IS LOW"this will keep the heli in the same position,this knowledge comes from flying fixed wing and when landing,nose in you gotta,yep you guessed,lift the wing that is low,this means if the heli is starting to tilt to the left,put your cyclic stick to the left,if heli(still pointing towards you)tilts towards you pull the cyclic stick towards you slightly,this is now making heli hover nose in,believe me i've done it for more than 20 seconds and ive only been flying power heli since last april.i must admit i practised this for many hours on sim before i tried it.I still nearly sh1t myself when i try it.heaven help me when i try loops etc...lol[>:]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.