Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Servo break in?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2003, 11:38 AM
rc junky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo break in?

Just finished building a Raptor30V2. Completed radio setup as well, 9CHP, S9001, GY-401 (S9253).

I know my servos are not binding. Sitting at center some of the servos !QUOT!buzz!QUOT!. Sometimes, sometimes not. The S9253 makes the most noise (sensitivity set too high?).

Is all this !QUOT!buzzing!QUOT! normal for new servos? Will it go away?[:'(]

Thanks Guys...
Old 11-22-2003, 03:22 PM
yf222000
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Servo break in?

Hi.

Most digital servo will make a little of a jitter noise. Digital servo
constantly centering themselves to the set neutral position. They
have a very small deadband compare to the analog servos. As long
as there are no binding at all, you should not worry. Besides, servos
does not need to be broken-in. Good luck.
Old 11-22-2003, 08:28 PM
rc junky

Hey! Thanks for the reply. That sets my mind at ease for the S9253. What about the S9001's? As I mentioned, I'm positive it's not binding, no worry? Is a little jitter a trait of coreless servos as well?
Old 11-22-2003, 10:36 PM
yf222000

Hi

If there are no bindings, check to see if all of the control motions are smooth.
Move both sticks one at a time. Look at the corresponding movements of the
chopper's mechanic and see if it would return to the neutral position when you release
the stick. Alot of times, new helicopter's mechanics are a little sticky. Check all ball links
and make sure that they are moving smoothly. The only time i have seen buzzing on my chopper
is the pitch movement does not return to its set neutral and it put a load on the servo. That
is where the buzzing comes from. Once i smoothed out all of the linkages and components related
to the pitch controls, the buzzing disappeared.

There is a different noise when it comes to buzzing. Digital servo centering buzz with a tick tick like
sound only really fast. Sometime it would stop for a second or so and then start again. Analog servo
under constant load will buzz with a continous hums. Watch out for that hum. It will drains the battery
and damage your servo very quickly. Try this. If you can not isolate which servo, unplug all the suspects ones
from the receiver. Plug in one at a time (the right slot). Move the stick and see if the servo buzz or not. If it buzzes,
move the servo arm slightly and slowly both direction with your fingers. It is kinda like tweaking that sweet spot on
your engine. You will probably find a spot that will stop the buzzing. This is an indication of constant load on the servo's
arm. Try to figure out why. Again, more likely it is some motion is not returning to its neutral location.
Good luck.
Old 11-22-2003, 10:41 PM
yf222000

Hi Again.

I forgot to say that, Once you plug the servo in one at a time to try to isolate
the problem. Move the stick but don't hold it. Let it go back to its neutral place.
See if any buzzing on that servo occur.
Old 11-24-2003, 01:16 AM
rc junky

Hey, we're getting close! Tweaking and jiggling the control rods would stop the buzzing. Finding the sweet spot! But giving input with the sticks would bring back the buzzing and !QUOT!center!QUOT!. I think you got it. Control arms and pivot points are still tight. I'm kinda surprised on how !QUOT!sensitive!QUOT! the servos are. I don't really feel much resistance from the control rods and links but wiggling them just a bit would stop the buzzing.

What works to loosen things up? Do you put silicon grease on the linkage balls and ball linkages?
Old 11-24-2003, 05:18 AM
slovac

Hi Bruddah,

The buzzing you are hearing from the digital servo is normal, don't worry about it.
Don't use grease on the links, if you want to 'loosen' things up a little you will have to buy yourself a 'ball link sizing tool', or fly the heli a couple of times, the links will loosen themselves. Try not to loosen the links too much ... you don't want a link to come off in mid air.

Slovac
Old 11-26-2003, 01:37 AM
rc junky

Hey thanks guys! The consensus seems to be !QUOT!tight balls!QUOT!![&:] I'll get the ship in the air this long weekend and loosen her up. If things don't quiet down in a few flights I'll try the ball link tool.

Thanks again!
Old 11-26-2003, 08:46 AM
eb4

bruddah go ahead and fly, my raptor 60 the balls & links where a little tight on mine but once i flew about 4 tanks and rechecked there was no binding and everthing was nice and smooth with no slop. the thunder tiger ball links are a little tight when new, mine are still tight after 3 cases of fuel. as mentioned in previous post slop is not what you want either on your servo linkages or on your rotor head it will lead to your heli making a abrupt face to face meeting the the ground [X(]