Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

tighter restrictions with rc helis?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

tighter restrictions with rc helis?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 11:58 PM
pilot77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tighter restrictions with rc helis?

I was just wondering what most peopels reactions are to that guy being killed and will there be tougher restrictions on rc heli sales and maybe making it compulsory to fly at clubs now. whats everyones or anyones thoughs on this
Old 12-10-2003, 02:45 AM
Spaceman Spiff
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: tighter restrictions with rc helis?

The accident happened at a club.

Things like this are an extreemly rare, pretty sure it is the only one to occur this year out of 170,000 AMA pilots, and it was a bad year.

Although it was a terrible tragedy, it is such a rare occurance that it seems unlikely any rules will or should change.
Old 12-10-2003, 06:32 AM
Charlie

If I remember correctly, there were two people killed with airplanes this year (or last year) and nothing every happened about that. Accidents will happen and there is not much we can do about it. When people are flying RC aircraft they have to think safety, safety, safety, and use good judgment. Thousands of people die every day in car accidents but they don't stop selling car. It is a tragedy that people get hurt or die from RC aircraft, but I don't think any action will be taken. Like I said, accidents do happen, thank god they are rare.
Old 12-10-2003, 05:45 PM
pilot77

yes i agree that they don;t stop selling cars, but u do need a license for a car, restrictions apply for who can have a car and who cannot.I would not have been suprised if the authorities tryed to do something similair with rc helicopters. Thank god that these accidents are rare, i would hate to think what the consequences would be if u hurt or killed someone and u were not a member of a club,not to mention having to live with it.. think i might have to become a member of a club ,and stop flying these things by myself at a local cricket field.
thanks for your replies.

James
Old 12-11-2003, 12:18 PM
DustOffUH1
My Feedback: (2)

Its not a good idea to fly by yourself. I don't belong to a club, but when I fly I either have my wife or a friend nearby, just in case. There's enough darn things regulated here in the US already. For cripes sake they regulate how much water our toilets can flush.
Joe
Old 12-11-2003, 04:30 PM
HenRam

The accident occured when the instructor turned his back on his trainee and paid a very hefty price for it. If any new regulation are going to be added to avoid this type of accident, it should only be "If you are instructing a new pilot, do not take your eyes off the bird" What happened was an accident... In the US, we are covered by the AMA for such things... What's the point of being insured if nothing is ever going to happen. The reason the AMA provides $2.5 million coverage is because the potential is there...
Old 12-11-2003, 05:14 PM
Jim C.

For cripes sake they regulate how much water our toilets can flush.
dont complain.. we still have it way better than the people over here in europe.. need a permit to do anything.. like being in communist russia...[:'(][:@] there will always be something said about safety with helis... just the nature of the beast.. yes.. there are stange things with anything rc.. a car can kill you too.. accidents unfortunatly happen. we all need to take a step back take a breath, and learn to respect these things, but not be afraid of them either.. otherwise they will come up to bite you. that will always be one thing that stick with me.. the first person i ever flew with told me to respect them, on the other hand dont be afraid of them. and youll be ok. holds true so far.
Old 12-12-2003, 03:24 AM
pilot77

Well sorry that i was a downer and brought this topic up ... I don;t want any restrictions either, i like the freedom to be able to fly them when i choose , so long as i am careful.. i guess its just like anything else. i can go play a round of golf and cop a ball in the temple or watch a guy break his neck playing football, etc etc , accidents are apart of enjoying life.. if we are woorried about every little thing perhaps we should all not get out of bed tommorrow for fear of anything happening. all i guess we can do is be as safety concious as possible and then from there don;t be reckless with helis'and then leave it in gods hands... when your number is up..... anyways thanks for your thoughts..

James
Old 12-19-2003, 01:38 PM
gmeister
My Feedback: (8)

Speaking of regulations on how much water is used to flush your toliet.... what idiot thought of that.
Nothing but clogs. I hate them.

And now back to helis.
Gary