Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

What color is the real "Airwolf"?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

What color is the real "Airwolf"?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 09:00 PM
fullerflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What color is the real "Airwolf"?

I am wanting to build a scale Airwolf, and I'm trying to determine what color the upper half is?

Most modelers opt for a gloss black finish (which looks very nice), however in most all the screenshots and still photos I've ever seen of the real chopper, the color is most certainly NOT black.

I built an ERTL plastic model in the late 80's, which stated to use "gunmetal gray" as the upper half color, but my "gunmetal gray testor's model paint" was way off...

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

P.S. I'm color-blind... Otherwise, I'd probably have a better chance of figuring it out on my own
Old 01-08-2004, 04:51 AM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What color is the real "Airwolf"?

Don't know if this helps but try looking at http://www.airwolf.org.uk/

loads of screenshots.

Looks like a slighter darker than gun metal grey colour to me. And it looks to be either matt or satin finish.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:06 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have original pictures of the real one and it was black. Looked different on the screen a lot of times, but the real one is black. Awsome picture set. I bought it when I had an RC airwolf, but never found time to finish it and ended up selling it.

Have fun. Would be a great project.
Old 01-19-2004, 05:16 PM
jeyre

looking at the Ariwolf "pilot" plans from Universal City Studios dated 2 Sep 1983 the colors are listed as follows

top is Dark Grey / Green as selected by Art Director
bottom is light Grey

Just this weekend I bought the Bell 222 kit at a swap meet and it came with all the plans for the airwolf conversion. Unfortunately it did not come with any of the parts.

Hope this helps
Old 08-22-2019, 03:44 PM
chopperhead221

I've watched all the episodes from the first three seasons recently (terrific show), and it looks like a dark metallic grey. But there also seems to be some different hues mixed in, like dark olive green an/or cobalt blue. I bought the Aoshima blue diecast model and it looks great sitting on my shelf. I suppose the "holy grail" for Airwolf fans like myself would be having a model that 100% replicated the color of the real Airwolf, but finding that is next to impossible.

Last edited by chopperhead221; 08-23-2019 at 02:45 AM.
Old 09-25-2019, 01:30 AM
Joseph Frost

Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

I used to fly one when in helicopters full time, X/Cell 60 Pro Gr. Mechanics, I painted mine "Black &Gold", it looked stunning, fitted only with fixed l/gear, sold it through the "Wings & Things" RC shop when converting to fixed wings.