RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Swash Plate Design

Old 07-01-2002, 12:12 AM
Ace4

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Swash Plate Design

Does anyone know of any sites that detail how an r/c heli swash plate is actually made? Or has anyone taken theirs apart? I can't seem to find any info on how they are internally constructed, and namely how they make them so compact. Most sites I've found seem to treat them as a black box that just does what it is supposed to do. An exploded view of the swashplate assembly would be great.

Thanks in advance,
Ace4
Old 07-01-2002, 12:30 AM
DavidH

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have sit and watch them assemble swash plates at Miniature Aircraft USA. It is not a complicated process it just requires some special tools to do the job. There is not but like 4 parts in the swashplate, upper star, lower star, ball bearing, heim ball. And a sleeve that holds the upper and lower star together.

David
Old 09-17-2002, 07:05 AM
Renegade_2k
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have some questions on this as well. I acquired a crashed Nexus from a friend, and have rebuilt it. While installing the mixing rods, I noted the pitch rods seemed a little long, despite following the length recommendations from the manual.

Upon closer inspection, side-by-side with my other Nexus, I noticed that the space between the upper and lower sections of the swash was greater than the swash on my first machine. I applied gentle pressure with my fingers, top to bottom, and the swash plates "clicked" back into position.

All things seem smooth, and there is no tendency for them to separate, at least when applying a slight pressure with small screwdrivers between the plates. I know the swash plate had to be assembled, at one point in time, and I guess I'm asking if this separation of the upper and lower plates ...

1. indicates damage to the swash, requiring replacement,

-or-

2. is this just something that may have popped lose in the crash, and by applying pressure, and re-orienting the parts to their normal position, I have "fixed" the swash (it wasn't really damaged in the first place).

Any long time heli users or manufacturer reps reading this, your input would be greatly appreciated. This is my second heli, to be used as a back-up in the event of the inevitable...

I have 31 yrs of plank flying experience, but only about 4 gallons of heli flight time, so these things are way new to me. Thanks in advance for your time and help.
Old 09-17-2002, 01:18 PM
concept1
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

on the nexus / concept line of heli's I HIGLY recommend popping the swash apart and applying some CA or JB weld to the inner race. they can come apart with heavy cyclic inputs ( after they get a little old) you can generally pop them apart with your fingers, (do not pop them completly apart just about 1/8 inch is all just till you see the first bearing) apply a little CA or JB and snap back. their are 2 bearings stacked on top of each other, as you get some flights on them the inner star will wear and weeken it just enough for it to pop loose. you have 5 parts on the kyosho swash, inner star, lower star and 2 bearings and 1 ball slider, the ball slider snaps into the inner star, and the 2 bearings stacked on top of each other slid into the lower star, the inner star then snaps into the lower, if you remove it completely it will be real tough to get it back together, their is a little lip that will snap over the lower star to hold it in place, this lip tends to wear out which is why it will come loose, hope you under stand what I just said. simple hold the outer star with your fingers anf press your thumb on the center of the ball slider and push, it will come out just push till you see the bearing and glue.

Jon