Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Heli Bags?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 10:59 AM
pprescott

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heli Bags?

Hey Guys, My name is Perry Prescott and I am the President of WTI Designs, WING TOTE. First this is not a solicitation, but we are starting new designs around our current Heli Bags that were popular until I discontinued them. So here is my question:
What is the most popular size heli right now? What and how do you carry your Heli's now? Features like and dislike in a bag? and is this a needed item>? We are planning two sizes, 1 for a 30 and one for a 50-60. Sound right. Again, this is not a solicitation, but this is the group that knows these models, so I value your feedback. If indeed anyone is offended by this post please let me know as well so we can act appropriately.

Thank you guys!!

Perry Prescott
WTI Designs
www.wingtote.com
[email protected]
Old 05-17-2004, 11:09 AM
DarkStaR6

Default RE: Heli Bags?

Well I think it would be a cracking idea... Only the other day I was thinking of some sort of box that would hold the heli safly, be able to carry easily & be fuel proof. I was thinking of mdf but that would have neen too bloddy heavy.

All the best
Old 05-17-2004, 12:30 PM
pprescott

Our bags before for the Heli's were nylon with liners and foam and plastic inserts. They also had blade pockets and the liners were PVC and could be wiped out and were water proof.
Old 05-17-2004, 01:50 PM
DarkStaR6

Yeah that would be wicked, cost would be the issue... How much do you need it?
Old 05-17-2004, 01:57 PM
w.pasman

I carry my 50 in a custom backpack-style transport box

Many go for the curtis case. Fits a 50 without dismantling or 20 60's if you take off tail boom.

Look here for more details

[link]http://graphics.tudelft.nl/~wouter/helipage/transportbox/box.html[/link]

Most popular seems the 30 size, closely followed by 50 size. I think that many people that would have started with a 30 now start with a 50, they are not much more expensive (eg rap50 vs rap30).
Old 05-17-2004, 06:54 PM
bdphil
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think a transporting bag is something that I'd be interested in, but a heli cozy would be nice for storage? Something that slips over the heli quickly and looks classier than a garbage bag.

Also, it seems to me like the 30 and 60 sizes are getting less attention lately and the 50 and 90 sizes are taking over.

Just a thought.

Ben
Old 05-17-2004, 07:36 PM
rc12

the most popular are probably .30 .50-.60 and .90, you don't see much more than that, also, you may want to think about making it alittle more soild than a bag. Maybe a box?
Old 05-17-2004, 08:31 PM
raptor_dude

I think a big seller would be some nice inexpensive blade covers (same thing as a wing bad...just made smaller for the blades) That's just my opinion.

Colin
Old 06-07-2004, 03:39 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey Perry. I think a 50 size, as a 30 would fit in it fine too, and a 90 size, as a .60 would fit in it. Then you have all the bases covered. Now if you made a double one where you could put two heli's in it, facing oppisite directions would be a grea idea as well since most have more than one heli.

Just a thought.

Take care.
JV
Old 06-07-2004, 03:50 PM
pprescott

Thank you John,
I am looking at the 50 and 90 to compare sizes and this seams to be a consistant thought. Thank you for the follow up. Hows the new plane?
Perry
Old 06-07-2004, 03:59 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

new plane still sitting here.. no money to get parts for it until old one is sold... soon. check your mailbox too

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92435.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	140697  
Old 06-07-2004, 07:19 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Perry,

A quality bag, made with the same level of quality I saw in your wing bags, and priced reasonably, would probably sell quite well.

I agree with the premise of two sizes; a 30/50 and a 60/90. However, a nice touch would be a pair of velcro tie-down straps for the skids, sewn into the inner bottom, to secure the machine when a smaller one is carried in the bag. We don't want that puppy sliding around in there.

Let's see, what else... a rigid bottom.

Enough room at the top to allow carry with blades attached and folded back over the boom.

Handles properly positioned over the mast so the bag "carries" straight.

Cordura nylon rules; it just ain't a "proper" gear bag if it isn't made from Cordura...

YKK zippers; PLEASE!

And none of this neon eye-blinding crap color; or at least, offer something conservative for those of us over 50.

I'd buy one in a heartbeat for my X-Cell.

You've definitely got my attention; keep us posted, please.

Old 06-08-2004, 10:01 AM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

If the bag has enough stiffness/reinforcement to protect it for frequent car rides and for stowing in a closet, that would be great. The hard cases I've seen are pretty expensive ($200+), and since I don't plan to ship or fly on an airline with my heli, I'd rather save some $$ and just get a bag to protect it while lugging it around town. For me, it would have to be less than 1/2 the price of a hard case, though, or I'd probably just cough up the extra $$ for the extra protection.

Oh, and black Cordura would be awesome!!
Old 06-09-2004, 12:51 PM
alvin1

i have been looking for a heli bag to carry my 50 and 60 sized heli's for a long time,a box is of no use to me.
Old 06-09-2004, 02:50 PM
LSP972

Alvin, there was an outfit in the UK making what appeared to be some very nice bags; priced accordingly, like, well over 100 pounds. I'll try to find the link. I stumbled across it looking for something else, but never saw any further references to the firm.

Old 06-09-2004, 09:24 PM
LSP972

No joy, Alvin; couldn't find it.

Sorry...

Old 06-10-2004, 04:39 PM
alvin1

oh well thanks for trying.................
Old 06-14-2004, 02:49 AM
Pahtcub

How about a R/C car tote with a raised center area to releave the suspension and tires during travel?? It's always a nice tote, but an ugly block of scrap wood from home depot on the bottom:-)

Pat
Old 06-15-2004, 02:23 AM
iflynething

Now how about this: A custom bag. Have customers that tell you what they want, and you make it. I just thought of that because my cousin, does carpentry and stuff like that, and he is making me a custom 2 radio (for my 6EXA and 7C) case from Maple. It will be all wood and everything. But, he was thinking that he could make them for the pilots.

But, if you didn't want to make them custom for some people, I still do agree with the concept of the 30/50 and then the bag for a 60/90 heli. And I have to agree that you should have some sort of holding thingamajigge in the bottom. I dont' think that a 50 is that much larger than a 30, but like others said, if you had a small heli, that 30/50 or whatever bag would be too big for say an electric one.......So, just a though.....

Hope that helped....

Happy Flying
Old 06-15-2004, 09:43 AM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

Usually, custom = $$$$, Mass production = much less $$. If the bag price isn't about 1/2 of what I can get a hard case for, I probably wouldn't buy the bag...
Old 08-12-2004, 07:56 AM
memotr

"The Heli tote holds a single 30 or a single 60 with the nose removed. The two large side panels use Velcro so you can customize your bag with a different type of foam. Pockets hold two blades. Made with 1000 Denier Nylon that is extremely durable and water resistant. The inside of the bags are lined with nylon to protect the finish of the helicopter during transportation and storage. Between the 1000 D and the 420 D nylon is a layer of 3/8 closed cell foam and plastic to help protect your wings from dents and dings. Shoulder straps are spaced wide and at an angle to make the bag balance perfectly on your shoulder. There is a 1 1/2 webbing making the straps comfortable. The zipper goes down the middle so the helicopter can be inserted easily. **Outside Dimensions: 48"" L x 20"" Tx 13"" W"""""!ı think you can make as same as this one!!!
Old 04-18-2006, 06:57 PM
harvtom
My Feedback: (19)

HI Perry Prescott,
At our field I saw a model called a "Heckler' (A small ARF that is similat to a "Magic" or "Cougar" and was told I can buy one from you.
I flew it and gotta have one- Loads of fun!
How can I buy one.
Thank you,
Harvey Thomasian AMA 901
Old 06-11-2007, 02:06 PM
aeroyuma
My Feedback: (31)

Greetings, Glad to hear that someone is looking into a Heli Bag, Not a box !! I travel for work and always take a Heli with. Problem is a case is just too heavy and big for a 60/90 or even a 50 at times. I have seen a Bag that someone in Europe is selling and they are shaped like a Heli some what with the Zipper on the top side. They offer a 30/50 and a 60/90. If I could find them I'd buy them.
Thanks!! Richard