Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Which Heli (Thunder Tiger/Sceudo)?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Which Heli (Thunder Tiger/Sceudo)?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2004, 04:59 AM
justanotheruser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Heli (Thunder Tiger/Sceudo)?

Since I'm on a budget, upgrading one area means sacrificing in another. The choice now comes down to the following...

SceudoEVO50, O.S. 50 engine, "tuned mufler", Mavrikk 600 blades -- Futaba 7CHP 7-Channel FM/4 S3151 Servos -- GY401/9254

Raptor50V2, O.S. 50 engine, "600mm CARBON blades" -- Futaba 9CHP 9-Channel PCM/4 S9001 Servos -- GY401/9254

If you think I should substitute something, I'm open ears. However, please take into account that replacing an item with one that is more expensive will mean replacing something else with something less expensive to make up the difference. I've grouped what's offered at a package discount. Thanks!
Old 07-24-2004, 07:37 AM
Raydee
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Which Heli (Thunder Tiger/Sceudo)?

If you are on a budget go for the Raptor with the better radio.
Old 07-24-2004, 09:46 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed.

While I personally prefer the EVO to the Raptor, the Raptor is a fine machine. Models come and models go, but your radio is a long-term investment. The 9C will do just about an anything you could ask of it, and the 9001 servo is proven (although a bit on the light side if you intend to thrash your helicopter). The 3151 'economy' digitals are brand-new, and not proven yet; especially in helicopters.

For that matter, the 7C is new and un-proven. I'm looking at this one hard as a "second" radio, and one to use as a buddy box slave. It is probably a great economy radio.

The 9C is a great radio, period.
Old 07-24-2004, 11:35 AM
hroachen

Go for the package with the 9C. Evos and Raptors are both nice Helis. I happen to own an EVO, but I'd be happy with a Raptor as well. I would NOT be happy with a 7C though.
Old 07-24-2004, 04:06 PM
basmntdweller
My Feedback: (9)

It's a toss up between R50 and Evo. I have both and prefer the feel of the Evo once I got it all sorted out. Don't shortchange yourself on the radio, go with the 9C. If at some time you want a full featured heli(governor and/or scale "whistles and bells") the 9 will accomodate while the 7 will be left short. I also fly planes and frequently use the 8th channel as a slave channel for dual elevators. While the 9001 servos are a bit light, they will only show that on collective and you can save up for a digital servo upgrade later. What little I have played with the 3151s on the bench, I'd prefer to stay with the 9001s. My Evo has 9001s all around and my R50 has 9001s with a 9252 on collective. There is a bit of difference but not enough for me worry about. The next plane I destroy that has a 9252 in it will be a 9252 donor for my Evo. You can also save some cash by getting the 8ch Fm rx with the 9C instead of the PCM. Contrary to what some like to preach, it is possible to safely fly a heli on an FM rx.
Good Luck,,,Matt
Old 07-24-2004, 07:23 PM
physics_nut

I'd say get the Evo (my personal preference, looks, feel, etc, nothing concrete ) and the 9C! If you do go with the Evo consider other blades, it appears many Evos aren't getting along with the Maverik blades.
Old 07-25-2004, 11:10 PM
justanotheruser

What about this...

Futaba 9CHP
Evo 50
GY401/9254

[link=http://www6.mailordercentral.com/heliproz/prodinfo.asp?number=803175&variation=&aitem=43&mitem=75]Mavrikk muffler[/link]
TT carbon blades

and to make it possible get...

9001's
TT50 engine

In a year or two, change out the engine and upgrade a servo or even all three swash servos, maybe add a TJ, and its the perfect machine...

What do you think?
Old 07-26-2004, 12:03 PM
hroachen

Sounds like a good plan. The TT600 carbon blades worked very well on my EVO, and you should be just fine with the 9001's until you've progressed to the point of doing aerobatics and 3D when you might want to upgrade the collective servo to something beefier. The 401/9254 combo has been sweet for me. I think the TT50 should get you by for some time, but I have no actual experience with TT engines.
Old 07-26-2004, 01:15 PM
Robertf287

It is my personal philosophy in this hobby to purchase the best Radio you can afford, and conserve money on your model. As said above your radio is a long term investment, and trust me models will come and go. If you take care of your radio properly it will last you for years. Purchasing a higher end radio does not just add channels. More importantly (especially with Heli's) it has additional programming that once you have used, flying will seem terrible without it. This is why I fly a 30 size heli and use a JR 10x radio. Prior to the JR 10x I flew with a JR XP652 for about five years, and I used it in five different models. To this day the radio is in excellent condition. The reason I upgraded to the better radio was for all of the additional features including the programming. Oh and one other thing buy "JR". In between the JR652 and the 10x I owned a Futaba 9Z WCII. Although this is a well eqipted radio the manual is poorly written. My feeling is what good is it to have a radio with all of the bells and whistles if the manual does not thoroughly explain how to use them. If all Futaba radio manuals follow this trend then I would definitely not buy Futaba.
Old 07-26-2004, 02:06 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, Robert, I too was a long-time JR user (X388S, PCM 10SX II). I bought a 9Z, and haven't had much trouble figuring things out using the manual. Besides, there are any number of real experts with this radio, right here on RCU, that can answer any thorny problems.

I'll agree that the 9Z isn't for everyone. Neither is the 10X, etc. I bought into the "the 9Z is too complicated" myth, until I got one...

But he was asking about the 9C. That jog dial is neat, and the manual explains everything pretty well. I had more trouble figuring out an 8103.
Old 07-26-2004, 02:06 PM
Sabot

Futaba manuals are good, they explain what the mixes do and the situation when you should use them / not just how to enable them
Old 07-26-2004, 04:27 PM
KINGX

Definately get the Hirobo Sceadu Evo 50!!! It is the best heli around in its class! The 7 channel Futaba is also good. Nothing "sounds" like being on a budget to me!! Good luck
Old 07-27-2004, 02:41 PM
justanotheruser

Thanks for the help everybody!
Old 07-27-2004, 02:43 PM
justanotheruser

BTW, I'm going with an Evo 50, 9CHP, O.S. 50, Muscle Pipe II (Quiet Version), and probably 9001's except on collective, where I'll put a 9202 or 9252. (I decided to buy some of the stuff used and now can afford everything I really wanted.)
Old 07-27-2004, 04:01 PM
KINGX

Be careful with the used items! Make sure they work "like new" before buying. Any defective part installed in ANY heli could easily cause a crash beyond repair. Good luck again, you have really made the right choices! Keep us informed with your progress in the heli world!