Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Hello I am WH

Old 08-02-2004, 06:28 PM
WH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello I am WH

Hello Air Beaters!

My name is Bill Seelinger, Known here as WH

I started flying Heli's in 1978 or so, with a Kalt Cobra. It never flew, the transmission blew out, and I am still looking for a replacement case. (if anyone has...) I learned to hover with a Graupner Bell 212 twin. It was a rather large machine, that hovered well, but due to its clockwise main blade rotation, did not make left hand turns...

Heliboy was king, and the GMP Cobra was out to take over the market. I then progressed to a Mini-boy and learned to fly forward. In 79 or so, maybe 80. I had just started a roaming hobby supply called Heli-Ohio LTD, affliated with John Rogers, Heli-Ohio. We sold parts and kits to Oh, WV and PA area. We taught many to fly in the area. I bet that I had atleast two hundred that I helped hover, and atleast 50 that I helped start forward flight in the late 70's to mid 80's. Anyone out there that remembers???

I went to the Superior and was looking for my first contest. It was in north western Pa, I forget the town or the sponcer, but he had a large Hobby shop somewhere up there. I went to the sign up table, and told the lady my name. She said "WHO?" I told her again and her answer was the same... I asked if she wanted my money, she said yes. I turned from the table, and saw the National Champ, at the time, Robert Gorhman, walking by, (anyone remember him flying the Cricket and tunning the needlevalve while it was hovering?) I looked to my right and there was Bob Bellomenni ( Sorry for the spelling Robert) talking with Cliff Hyatt. Out of the 14 Expert class pilots, 8 were of them were in the top ten. I had 14th place locked up! Over the next 4 years, I flew it twenty or more contests. Most of the same crew flew in each one. I learned more about Heli's' flying againts / with these Genteleman, than all the years that I have flown solo. A great group of men! I never won one, but did place a time or two...

The only contests that I ever won were a couple of "Old Timers" events. I had the most non flyable machine, that I could make a circuit with. Anyone Rember the Dubro Shark, with the Old O and R engine. A gas engine manafactured for a drilling rig, converted to glow for the Shark? I am looking at it now in the closet, new batteries and it would fly... well if you call it that!!! lol

This resume is my introduction.
I probally will not have a lot to add to any new airframe or radio inquireies, but I will be reading them all.

If there is anyone out there that remembers anything mentioned above, give me a yell!

I started back with fixed wing, just to shake the dust off, last week. ( have been away from flying for 9 yrs) Have my old Champ is setting here waiting for me to set up the engine...

Hello all, Realy glad to be back!

WH
Old 08-02-2004, 06:36 PM
pilot77

Default RE: Hello I am WH

Welcome to the board WH.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:36 AM
w.pasman

Welcome back to the heli's, have fun. Times have changed! Cliff Hyatt is still a known name but I dont think I heard the other names before.
I wonder how many people from your generation are around here. I sometimes get the impression that most are young newcomers to the hobby.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:15 PM
duelist
My Feedback: (7)

Default .

Hi WH, I drive down your way every once in a while, next time I'm there I'll look you up.

Bob B (I'm not even gonna try to spell it right) doesn't fly helis anymore. He's into electric and turbine planes, but the last time I say him earlier this year he was flying someone elses turbine heli. That was cool.

Don't know what Robert Gorham is doing these days

Cliff Hiatt is still around. He designed the new head for the Minature Aircraft Tempest and still competes. He came in 5th at the Nats this year.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:56 PM
WhtBronco

Welcome back WH. I had taken 8 years from planes until 2 years ago. Now after 12 years with no heli I bought a Raptor 50 this week. Previously I had a Concept 30. I am familiar with all the names you mentioned, but have never met any of them. Kinda funny to me though the years you listed. Currently I am 31 years old, you were flying helis when I was 6. Anyway I can tell you a lot has changed just in the last 12 years let alone 20 or so. I was amazed at how small the gyros are now when I bought a GY401.
Old 08-13-2004, 07:49 PM
Leon

Sup
Old 08-17-2004, 11:34 AM
WH

Thanks for the replys guys, this is a great forum and I will look forward to reading it all! Hopefully some of my old friends from central and northern Ohio will eventually log on and read this. Maybe a reunion at a contest?? LOL

Thanks again,
WH
Old 08-17-2004, 11:45 AM
Sabot

hello
Old 08-18-2004, 12:28 AM
hroachen

ORIGINAL: WH

If there is anyone out there that remembers anything mentioned above, give me a yell!
I remember ALL of it Bill. I started in control line in the late '60s and took up R/C in '73 or so. Had a fixed pitch Heli-Baby with a Webra blackhead 40 as my first heli in 79 or so, then back to planes until '85. I stopped flying in '92 but I just came back in this year.

Welcome back, I'm having more fun than ever.

David
Old 08-21-2004, 10:03 PM
WH

Hello David,

LOL I have flown many a Heli baby. My first actual hovering Heli, was a Graupner Bell 212 Twin. It had an HB engine with a fan mounted on the rear, especially made for this airframe. It was a great Hover machine, very scale for the time. but would not make a left had turn in forward flight. Retreating blade stall. I crashed it twice before I realized that there was a problem....

Where you from Sir? I am in central KY at the present.

Thanks for getting back.

WH
Old 08-21-2004, 10:13 PM
WH

Dullest,
I tryed to send this message to you through the RC Uni, but it gave me the BLAH<BLAH BLAH!!! Hope you get this message, looking forward to meeting you Sir!

Thanks,
WH

Thanks Jeff,
I would like to make your fun fly, and the others too. I have had
great =
times with Heli's in the past, miss it very much now. I am flying
fixed =
wing now, just to sharpen up a bit when time permits. I have a
Simitar D=
uce with an K&B 3.5 on a pipe. I almost have it right, The airframe
is =
17 yrs old and the engine is 25, but it still flys 150mph + My
Champion=
is setting here looking at me, ready to fly. The Rossi .65 is a bit
tig=
ht. Once I get it worked out, I should be back in the air. What
engines=
are the preformers now, I would not know which way to go for
preformance=
, if I need to replace the old Rossi.

Thanks for getting back, Hope to meet you soon.

WH
Old 09-01-2004, 10:55 PM
TripleDeucer
My Feedback: (129)

Bill, I also remember all of what your talking about. I started out with a DuBro 505 that had a K&B 40 on top of the head. Always had lots of onlookers to witness never getting more than 6" off the ground just before the crash. Then moved on to the DuBro Shark with the O&R. Still no luck so I got a DuBro TriStar. This one was supposed to be the real flyer, but not for me. Then I bit the bullet and bought a Kavan Jet Ranger. I was able to hover that one a bit before selling it to buy a GMP Cricket. I finally had a machine that I wasn't scared to start trying more things and learned to fly with it and a couple more after. The rest of course was a followup of Competitors, Cobra's, and Legends in the GMP line.
I remember driving 200 miles to see a guy hover a homemade Polecat. Was pretty cool to actually see someone hover a helicopter.
Did lots of Fun Fly's here in the Northwest in the 80's and 90's. Also attended 9 of the Merced Fun Fly's in California. Man, did I spend some money!
I still have a dozen or so heli's around here someplace. Am currently flying a MA Xcell Pro.

TME
Old 09-01-2004, 11:23 PM
TMooreATX

Bob Belloumini, Robert Gorham, Cliff Hiatt. Yep, flown with all of them.

Welcome back to the hobby. Bello, still runs a PIP Printing company, Robert is/was a carpenter out west and Cliff is still in Fla working as an engineer. I think Cliff will be at the team trials in Nashville from 9-17 to 9-19, just next month. A lot has changed.

You'll have a lot of fun.

Terry Moore