Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

auto rotation

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2004, 01:36 PM
lyk2fly
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default auto rotation

Hi all, I just recently purchased a used Hawk IV. Yesterday I successfully got it airborne. I'm used to a LMH so to me this thing is really big and scary.....but it flew very well.....the LMH seems to have done its job as a trainer. I will have lots of questions from time to time but my first one is about auto rotation. The Hawk has the one-way bearing so will it auto rotate? In the event of an engine failure at a high altitude what would the procedure be? What about the lack of tail rotor.......how do you control heading? I do have my pitch set at -5 degrees at low stick. High stick is +9 degrees.
Thanks,
Mark
Old 08-07-2004, 02:53 PM
Sabot

Default RE: auto rotation

right,

your heli will auto

the tail rotor will stop, so the helicopter will face into the wind due to the litte fin at the back.

ive been told, from high up when the engine stops (it doesnt actually have to stop i think there is a mix that allows you to controll the pitch independantly of the throtte (idle up) i think (not sure)

anyway you put the blades into negative pitch so they spin round and gain kinetic energy and slow down the heli
then when it gets close to the ground move the blades over to positve pitch then you'll be able to hover for a few seconds to land

[this is from what i have been told, i have a FP heli so i have never tried ]

good luck

Paris
Old 08-07-2004, 06:53 PM
Leon

Default RE: auto rotation

You mean throttle hold

Thats about it Sabot

The idea is to as quickly as possible reduce the collective to about -3 deg, not much more, you dont want to drive the model down and get a really high rate of decent (pile driving it into the ground is a bad thing) because the model is decending the air is moving up through the rotors (reletivly speaking) which helps reduce their loss of energy, then at the bottom of the auto you tap into this stored energy to cussion the decent.

Really you want to have some forward speed because firstly it causes the heli to weathervane (sideways autos are a bad thing) also this forward speed gives a little bit of transitional lift (a good thing) and when you flair at the bottom, you get rid of that speed and pitching back at that point also arrests the decent, then you need to apply a bit of nose down (only enough to stop from hitting the tail on landing)

Thats about it