Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Head Holding vs Standard gyro?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Head Holding vs Standard gyro?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 09:50 PM
lyk2fly
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head Holding vs Standard gyro?

I purchased a used Hawk IV on Ebay. First let me say that it flew great until this evening. I plowed a deep furrow in the ground with it....because I was sitting down (stupid).... with the heli about 200ft down range from me and I accidentally toggled the gyro from standard mode (which I like best) to head holding mode. It is a Telebee 701 and there is some servo change between the 2 settings. Before I knew it I was not in good control and in a "nose in" situation. Not enough time to correct the rudder trim and try as I may I couldn't save the heli. Anyway that got me to thinking.....which is best.....head holding or standard? The Telebee holds the heli rock steady in standard mode..... even in wind....why should I care about head holding? The tail responds to my input much quicker in standard mode. I've been flying about 2 years....no 3D right now....just hovering....circles.....fff..... stall turns. I haven't landed nose in yet but I believe that I could.....nose in in fff and hover is now easy. So what is the advantage/disadvantage between the two?
Thanks in advance,
Mark
Old 10-11-2004, 09:57 PM
fritzthecat
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Head Holding vs Standard gyro?

Wow, people still fly in standard mode!?

Rate mode:
Tail follows around in turns
Tail swings around on downhill flight
Needs complicated Revo mix
Will drift in sideways / backwards flight

HH mode
Must fly the tail all the time
Not affected by wind or heli direction
Able to fly sideways / backwards
Will not weathervane and help in returning orientation
No Revo mixing

99% of people with HH gyros fly in HH mode. It gives you total control over the tail not the heli or environmnet.

Fritz
Old 10-14-2004, 10:04 AM
heli-john

If you like masochism try no gyro at all. Now that's flying!
Old 10-14-2004, 06:14 PM
lyk2fly

Guys I'm serious.....to me the standard rate mode was better flying than heading hold mode. I guess I need to give the hh a little more time and practice. About the "no gyro at all" thing I've had that to happen. On a Lite Machines of all things.....they're hard enough to fly anyway... let alone with a failed gyro...... No....I'm not man enough for that!!!
Mark
Old 10-14-2004, 09:03 PM
syclic

I found a very good explanation of both here:
www.leisuretech.ca

Check out the "gyro" article in the hints and tips section.
Old 10-15-2004, 07:23 AM
arceye

ORIGINAL: lyk2fly

Guys I'm serious.....to me the standard rate mode was better flying than heading hold mode. I guess I need to give the hh a little more time and practice. About the "no gyro at all" thing I've had that to happen. On a Lite Machines of all things.....they're hard enough to fly anyway... let alone with a failed gyro...... No....I'm not man enough for that!!!
Mark

I found exactly the same thing HH great for hover but forward flight i prefer rate mode, each have advantages and dissadvantages I now very recently have started using a dual mode which is both rate and hh and I have to admit I have started using HH more than rate even in forward flight, this isnt because of tail stability but more because I can't be bothered to flick the switch to change from HH to rate

As for the no gyro at all the closest I have been to that was when I was setting up revo mixing and so had the gyro gain turned down as far as it would go, but now the gyro I have doesn't need revo setting up in fact the installation of the gyro INSISTS that revo and any other tail mixing is turned off before the gyro is installed.
Old 10-15-2004, 07:54 AM
bobinma

When I first started flying my 401 gyro I hated HH mode. I was used to the tail weathervaning in FF and it felt unnatural to have to contol the tail that much. As time went by, I started using HH more and standard mode less. Now I don't even bother setting up a standard mode when I set up a machine.
HH does take some getting used to. However, the tail is completely predictable once you get used to making the tail follow the nose in turns.
Old 10-15-2004, 05:58 PM
TMooreATX

Hey Mark,

Come over to Cookeville and we'll fly this weekend. Weather looks good.

TM
Old 10-15-2004, 08:08 PM
lyk2fly

Hi TMooreATX,

Thanks for the offer.....actually there's nothing I would like better than to see some good heli pilots. I'm sorta isolated here in this corner of the state. There are no heli pilots close.....a few plane flyers though. I've had to learn (and still learning) by myself. If Cookeville was just a little closer I would be there. If you're ever in the Southeast corner of the state....let me know.....bring your heli.......I have a great 10-15 acre field......and I could use the learning experience.
Mark
Old 10-16-2004, 10:19 PM
TMooreATX

I travel the eastern half of TN routinely and I may be in Oak Ridge tomorrow to fly with some fellas.

TM
Old 10-16-2004, 10:49 PM
lyk2fly

If you're ever in the Polk county area.....even Bradley or Monroe counties....you would be close. Also Fannin county GA and Cherokee county NC are close. Let me know.....I would be glad to meet you somewhere and lead you in. I still haven't put the Hawk back together. I did manage to repair most of the crash damage.....I just need MR blades, tail rotor gear set, and tail fin set. I've been watching MR blades on ebay by aeroomni. Some have went very cheap ($10.00 or so)....of course shipping would cut into some of the savings.....he has CFs....fiberglass.....wood.....ect. I like saving money but I am a little suspicious.
Mark