Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Crackling sound

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 06:21 PM
gen3v8
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Crackling sound

I have a raptor 90 std with an OS sx91 and a 2 piece zimmerman pipe? When flying, hovering, it would start crackling when the load is off when descending and stationary. The tail would kick at the same time. This noise sounded even mechanical so i checked everything and found a gear fixing pin loose in the tail rotor. After fixing this its back to the field and after a settled hover its still the same. someone else said that there wasnt much exhaust smoke so i richened the mixture 1 turn. Its smoky as hell but the noise and tail wobble are gone. I dont understand this its nothing like my shuttle zxx ive had for years.
David
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67344.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	210199  
Old 01-03-2005, 08:18 PM
raptor_dude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Crackling sound

Just a different mixture setting than what your shuttle had. 90s smoke a lot mroe than 30s. The cracking noise was probably due to it being so lean.

Colin
Old 01-03-2005, 09:52 PM
da_man
My Feedback: (30)

I agree.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:39 PM
gen3v8
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks dude and man,
I was too scared to even go more than acouple of feet off the ground. The 90 was so smooth and stable with a richer mixture Its run on 10% nitro 15% coolpower and 5% castor and the power is awesome.
David
Old 01-04-2005, 07:01 PM
heli-john

First thing that happened to me when I built my Raptor was the pin holding the tail rotor gear in place worked loose and cut a neat hole in the tail rotor gearbox. Luckily I got away with it. Flew several Shuttles before my Rappie and have to admit the Rappie took a lot of getting used to as it flew so differently from the Shuttles.