Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Nexus 30

Old 09-02-2002, 09:52 AM
danycac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nexus 30

Hi.
I fly airplanes for 4 years but want to start flying helis. I can buy a new nexus 30 kit for about 170 US dollars in Portugal. Will it be a good learning machine? I have a Futaba 8 UAP. What cheap gyro do you recomend because I don´t want to spend a fortune!

Thanks Daniel Maia
Old 09-17-2002, 04:21 PM
Renegade_2k
My Feedback: (1)

Default Nexus 30

Hey there.. If you can get the Nexus, go for it.. I have two, and have found it to be a good trainer. I have about 4 gallons of fuel through my machine, and I took the training gear off after starting the third gallon. It is a relatively stable machine for a helicopter, if you follow the manual very strictly during setup .

As for the Gyro, personally, I run a Futaba GY 502, with a Digital 9250 servo. Don't overlook this or blow it off as "oh, I need one of those things too" (to quote the Nexus manual). The gyro in your heli is your lifeline, and insurance of success when flying a heli! Lose it, and you are more than likely goin down! Consider the gyro/servo as a reusable component assembly, and plan on using it in your next machine as well.

I researched the Futaba line (I use an 8UAP in heli mode..), then asked questions about all of them to a friend who flys helis. He prefers the Futaba GY 401 w/ digital. I settled on the 502 w/ digital, for the extra programming functions available to me (again, looking ahead). You NEED a good gyro if you want to be successful with your heli, and a fast servo is conducive to a steady tail when learning.

Two points to watch... If you get a gyro that is Digital capable (able to boost the frame rate for digi servos) use the appropriate frame rate for the servo being used. The second point is from a longevity standpoint. Gyros will tend to "eat" standard servos. The tail servo is constantly correcting the yaw attitude of the heli, to compensate for wind, torque, etc. This means the servo is almost always in motion, unlike in a fixed wing a/c. Get a servo that is fast (for tail response time and to fully utilize the benefits of the gyro) and on the same hand, a quality servo meant for gyro use. Your wallet will appreciate the long term benefits of this initial investment!
Old 11-14-2003, 01:04 PM
aholenstein

Default RE: Nexus 30

Hi Daniel,
i also have nexus 30, and i am very happy with it. Acually i am looking for an other one. You said you can buy one for $170.-US in Portugal? Could you please provide me with a link or contact information? Or do you know of anyone that has a cheap nexus 30 for sale?
Thanks,
Andreas
Old 11-15-2003, 06:53 PM
cootertwo

I started with a nexus, still have it, and enough pieces to build another if I were to want another. THEN, I bought a Raptor 30V2, and found it to be a much better investment. The nexus was good for it's time, but is severly out dated. If you can, compare the nexus with any new heli. There has been many improvements. I had to put a bunch of money into my nexus, just to get it air worthy, but enjoy my Raptor much more.
Old 11-15-2003, 07:09 PM
aholenstein

HI cootertwo,
thanks for the info, i will think about it. I have heard a lot of good things about the raptor, but i thought, if i can get a new nexus for $175.-, it worth it.
I am just a novice, and the first time i hoverd my nexus, ( which i have to say went without problem ) i got interference with my radio. The muffler has melted my antenna. So i crashed.
The only thing i need to get it flying again, is a new landing gear, main rotors and complete rotor head. And a new stabilizer bar and blades.
Those parts new would cost me at towerhobbies, close to $200.-.
I am really not sure what i should do.
I can't expect to get much for my nexus if i would sell it for parts. What do you think, how much could i ask for it? It comes with a Hughes300 Canopy.
Thanks,
Andreas
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89383.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	74954  
Old 11-16-2003, 02:37 PM
flyingjmerritt
My Feedback: (3)

if you want to sell it as it is i would take it
how about $50.00
Old 11-17-2003, 01:08 AM
aholenstein

Hi flyingjmerritt,
thanks for you offer, i have been looking on ebay quit a bit lately, and i think i should be getting at least $90.- for it.
I have attached a couple pictures, so you can see what you would get for the $90.-
Everything exept the engine and canopy is included.
If you are interested on everything, i can give it to you for $230.-
The engine and the canopy alone was new $300.-
The Engine has only about 1 gallon of Fuel through it. And the Canopy is aslo in mint condition.
Infact, it was not even mounted when i crashed.
Let me know what you think.
Thanks,
Andreas
PS: If we can't make a deal, i will put it on ebay. I should be able to get an easy $230 for it, if i can see what some of the other helis are going for.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91936.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	75279   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55992.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	75280   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo31474.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	75281   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm28403.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	75282  
Old 11-17-2003, 10:37 AM
hou_ge2000

Isn't the Nexus one of the worst heli a person can buy?

Why not start with a Hirobo or Rapter?
Old 11-17-2003, 10:53 AM
flyingjmerritt
My Feedback: (3)

go ahead and sell it thanks anyway
i need to sell the one i got before i take on anymore projects
Old 11-17-2003, 10:54 AM
Raptor^Norway

Nexus is a good trainer, ok for forward flight and mild aerobatics. But it ends here.
The nexus is not a suitable machine for advanced aerobatics and 3D.