Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Incredible video... 9 yr old at the sticks of a Heli!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Incredible video... 9 yr old at the sticks of a Heli!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 01:35 AM
BULL-RCU
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Incredible video... 9 yr old at the sticks of a Heli!

I wish at 9 my Dad would have had a toy like that for me to play with... He would have been pissed at me because I'm sure I would have slept with the thing and never let go of it. I think at 11 I might have had one of those control line COX engine planes with 18 in wing made of plastic with the long string that we got at the Western Union Hardware store. If I didn't have fuel I would shorten the string and just swing it around. I remember my Dad getting me the maybe 12 oz can of fuel. The spring start that would slap the prop into my fingers. Get it running and go in circles till I was dizzy.... AAAgggggggggg the good old days!!! LOL

How the world has changed... We're on here worring if a 9 yr old is being forced into flying a cool toy too much...
Old 02-27-2005, 01:15 PM
rstacy
My Feedback: (4)

Hey Bull-RCU!
That was how I got my first taste of model aviation.
It was the blue and yellow Cox PT-19. My father got it for me when I was about 7 or 8.
34 years later and I still have the passion!
Kyle and I appreciate all of the feedback and support.
Thanks for the thoughts on a child in the hobby.
He is very anxious to go to the XFC and IRCHA.
We are checking to see if they will let him fly a demo at the XFC.
He has an amazing passion and dedication that I hope lasts for many many years.
I'm going to let Kyle drive the hobby at his own pace.
Right now I cant keep up with him!
I read that CY said the biggest enabler for him was getting his drivers license.
The same may be true for Kyle.
Old 02-27-2005, 03:06 PM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

All this crud about allowing kids to make their own decisions because we dont want to push little Timmy into things too fast.....Phooey. Bunch of tree-hugging crystal-gripping hippy nonsense.

You're the parent you make the decisions. Thats why they call it parenting, not happy go lucky fun time.
If your kid never recieves any push in any direction, thats exactly where they will stay....in one spot doing nothing.

Thats why our society is full of 20 year olds with a elementary school education, and no ambition. All the parents keep telling them, "You just do whatever makes you happy, there are no bad decisions"

There ARE bad decisions little Timmy. Like not persuing something your really good at. If I had listened to my high school guidance counselor, I would probably be working as a day laborer right now, as she said I would be good at jobs where I used my hands. WELL no $^&% Im good at doing things with my hands, I fly model airplanes. Needless to say, I told Miss "psycho" that she could stick her day labor job in the toilet, and that I was going into the Military, getting a technical degree, and then working in a technology field...inside at a desk where I dont have to sweat to make a living. I told my mom while I was in high school that I would NEVER work in any fast food joint...I meant it. To this day I have NEVER worked for any food chain.

I now have a steady good career in communications programming, which I love doing. All because I had a lot of pushing in the right direction from some very good parents.

Kids with no pushing end up with a bacholor's degree in Psychology from the local Junior College, working for MTV making a show called DUMB***.

Kids with some pushing end up with a doctorate in aeronautical engineering, working for McDonnell Douglas designing thrust vector technology.

There are two people I have a lot of respect for right now. One is Natalie Portman. Here is a excellent example of a properly guided young lady. Mark my words that women is going places. The other is Condy Rice. She should be our first female president. Id vote for her in a heartbeat. Smart as a tack. Read her background. She had some very good guidance.

All Im saying is some proper guidance and a little pushing during your childhood can end up giving you ambition, strength, wisdom, and drive to be the best you can be at whatever you choose.
Old 02-27-2005, 03:36 PM
Darksider

hey ray,

as the father of this young man, i'd only be asking myself one simple question with regards to the hobby, Whats best for kyle, and i dont mean what kyle wants to do, because regardless of what everybody else says here about hm if he likes it and oh it should be his decision, what 99.9% of 9 year olds want to be doing with their time has absolutely nothing to do with what they should be doing with their time, and moreover, who's to say what they should be doing with their time, as i recall i was gettin into all sorts of mischeif at that age and having great fun doing it, so bottom line if you think hand on heart this is the best thing for him to be doing then by all means let him and promote him, as for ruffled feathers or any other concern, that wouldn't even play a part in my decision making process, only what was the best thing for my son and his future, since i'd be the guiding force that would be helping to shape that future.

Gareth
Old 03-04-2005, 01:52 PM
rstacy

Thanks Gareth,
Right now we think the best thing to do is hang out as father and son and have fun.
We hang out at night in the shop and on weekends at the field.
Seems to work pretty well for both of us!!
Old 03-20-2005, 06:07 AM
jolllyroger

tell kyle to have fun when he beats Curtis Youngblood. then to tell tell him to tell CY that if he practices a lot he might beat him next time. Curtis, I'm sure, would welcome the competition. I started wit a control line plane. Now I have 54 airplanes an ornithopter 3 nito helis and 2 micro electric helis. I carry my honeybee 2 in my car and fly it every chance i get. I just hope that some day I'll be half as good as kyle.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:33 AM
jlb0305

that was freakin awesome... i wanna be able to fly like that
Old 03-28-2005, 10:30 PM
BULL-RCU

ORIGINAL: jlb0305

that was freakin awesome... i wanna be able to fly like that

New link posted old one was removed sorry!
Old 03-30-2005, 06:43 AM
rstacy

New Link

Hi Guys,
Kyle wanted to try assembling his own web page.
Here is his link.

[link=http://www.kylerocks.com]www.kylerocks.com[/link]
Old 03-30-2005, 10:40 PM
RebarDWG

the kid is definitely good. but does he setup his own heli? or does he pick up the tx like an xbox or ps2 console and just start playing? My goodness.. if only i didnt have to setup my own heli. I'd be magnificient.. ok.. maybe not.. but still.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:06 AM
rstacy

I like to set up his helicopters. It helps me to feel useful!

I cant comment on the xbox. Kyle has never seen one and I think he tried a PS2 once or twice but it didn't really interest him.

He is much more interested in editing the parameters of his simulators to see how it effects their flying characteristics.
Old 04-02-2005, 06:31 PM
rstacy

New video posted

[link=http://www.kylerocks.com]http://www.kylerocks.com[/link]

Thanks go to David Playfair for the awesome editing!
We couldn't do much about the overcast sky.
We did get some nice pilot shots for the doubters!

This was Kyle's first flights with the white paddles.
He didn't like them.
The flip rate was faster. In my opinion, too fast with a sacrifice in stability.
For all out stick banging this would be a good thing. For anything else it can be a problem.
I can only guess that greens would be worse.
He felt that the heli didn't track as well in his backwards hurricanes.
I could see where he was fighting it.
I am going to give the whites another shot just in case Kyle needs time to adapt.
Then I am going to go back to the stock blacks and see if he gets his comfort level back.
Old 04-02-2005, 06:55 PM
BULL-RCU

Great job Kyle...

Nice new video... Made me smile again... very proud of you. More so just knowing how nice of a kid you are too.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:17 PM
rstacy

We posted a new video.
Kyle's critics have claimed that he isn't actually doing the flying. David Playfair came up with a cool idea to do a video inset showing Kyle and the sticks. Thanks for all of the positive feedback and let us know what you think.

[link=http://www.kylerocks.com/]http://www.kylerocks.com/[/link]
Old 04-11-2005, 08:01 PM
duelist
My Feedback: (7)

You da MAN Kyle.

Hey Ray, see you in a couple of months at the XFC, remember, dinner is on you

Sorry I haven't had a chance to call per you PM on HF, life has been hectic with my little kids. Talk to you one of these days...

Jeff H
Old 04-13-2005, 09:21 AM
Data Android

first of all, great flying kyle.
man, I wish my dad would have gotten me interested in becoming good in something, anything , but instead I tried a million different things and today I'm a jack of all trades and a master of a few
to a point, it is important to teach kyle that there are other things (maybe even more important) than helis, which he has to know and learn about.
rstacy, as his dad, just make sure he doesn't spend 10 hours a day on the sim and forget about his home work, since he loves helis and the sim, use it as a treat for good grades etc.
the only question I have for you, why in the world didn't you start him up with a set of golf clubs or a tennis racket instead of a heli?