Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Incredible video... 9 yr old at the sticks of a Heli!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Incredible video... 9 yr old at the sticks of a Heli!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 10:39 PM
BULL-RCU
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Incredible video... 9 yr old at the sticks of a Heli!

OK, so I'm not into Heli's to much, but when I saw this video of a 9 yr old from my club, flying his heli I couldn't say anything but WOW!!! If you are into Helis you will appreciate this... When I say 9yr I mean just turned 9 in the last couple months...

When you get to the site just click on 9 yr old flying. If it takes a min I posted it in club house too and site is getting kit hard right now.
Worth checking out!

http://rcplane.com/movies/kyle05feb.wmv
New Link!
http://216.120.246.42/~raymond/dplayfair/kyle05feb.wmv
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90445.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	228543  
Old 02-13-2005, 01:03 AM
asteele73

Default RE: Incredible video... 9 yr old at the sticks of a Heli!

That is some awesome flying. I've been flying 2 years and am better than 3 times his age and can't do near what he is doing. In fact he had me beat 5 seconds after takeoff. That he was doing those maneuvers so close to the ground at that age baffles me. That close call in the video where he touched the tail boom to the snow, was that intended or not? I wonder how much he charges for lessons. lol
Old 02-13-2005, 08:18 AM
BULL-RCU

ORIGINAL: asteele73

That is some awesome flying. I've been flying 2 years and am better than 3 times his age and can't do near what he is doing. In fact he had me beat 5 seconds after takeoff. That he was doing those maneuvers so close to the ground at that age baffles me. That close call in the video where he touched the tail boom to the snow, was that intended or not? I wonder how much he charges for lessons. lol
I asked his dad about the tail boom hit to the snow... He said it was not intended... I talked to his dad and he said Kyle spend Hrs on the simulator.... and his dad never tells he can't try something... Lets face it we all fly better when we fly with no fearand most of the time "if you think you can"... Kyle just got a 90 sz heli with more power which will have more performance.... can't wait to see that video...
Old 02-13-2005, 11:12 AM
asteele73

It would be interesting to see how he would do at some of these competitions around the country. Do you know how long total he has been flying helis?
Old 02-13-2005, 01:26 PM
rstacy
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: asteele73

It would be interesting to see how he would do at some of these competitions around the country. Do you know how long total he has been flying helis?
Kyle has been flying for about 2.5 years.
He has been coming to the field with me since he was 2.

We hope to attend the XFC, IRCHA, and of course our own fun fly this year.
Old 02-13-2005, 03:08 PM
asteele73

I am assuming you are his dad. You have one talented son there. I would love to here how he does at those events if you could pop in and let us know. I have saved that video on my hard drive to show some other flyers I know. Take care.
Old 02-13-2005, 03:10 PM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

WOW..

Its nice to see a master fly. I would definatly consider this kid a master of the sport after watching that.

This kid needs to be in competition now. He's most certainly ready to take on any and all. That was fantastic.
Im 30 years old, there is no way I'd ever expect to be able to do that stuff.

This is why I keep pushing everyone to get the youth involved. Kids pick this stuff up so fast with proper education.

That was awesome Kyle. You just smoked most of the flyers I know.

SWEET.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:16 AM
SENZA

That was incredible Kyle ....well back to the simulator for me!
Old 02-16-2005, 08:51 PM
duelist
My Feedback: (7)

OK, Everyone give Ray and Kyle a round of applause.

For those of you that don't know, Ray is the new heli columnist in MA and Kyle is his very talanted son.

(Ray, my kid will give your kid a run for his money give him a few years, he's only 4)

Jeff H
Old 02-19-2005, 07:45 AM
rstacy

ORIGINAL: duelist
Ray, my kid will give your kid a run for his money give him a few years, he's only 4
Jeff H
Jeff,
Cool! Come on out and fly with us!!!
Do you take him to the field with you?
Kyle started at 2. I can probably count on one hand the number of times I went to the field without Kyle.

asteele73,
Yes I am Kyle's father.
I recently had an interesting discussion with a prominent member of the helicopter community.
His take was to stop promoting Kyle and to spend time getting him in to other areas of life.
The reason being that helicopters wont carry you very far and the pressure of playing in adult's arena is too much for a kid.
Also that having a 9 year old flying like this will not convince many people to get in to the hobby and will most likely ruffle the feathers of the adult pilots.
It was also suggested that it isn't good for a 9 year old to be doing anything at the XFC, IRCHA or anywhere else and that we should just sit back and enjoy it for what it is. By the time he is 16 he will found other interests any way.
Now I know and respect this person and he WAS NOT being mean. He was being sincere.
It was an interesting take on a small boy in a big person's hobby.
Any thoughts on that?

Ray
Old 02-19-2005, 10:01 AM
BULL-RCU

Hi Ray...

I think you should do what most of us do... Let him enjoy what he is doing until he decides different. You have met my son Trever. He has been Playing football since he was 8, now we know football is a kids game right? "NFL" Trever is now 15 has a bad knee and sometimes back problems. At 5'11 223lbs he is a great football player and the coaches love him... He loves the game and will play until he no longer has the oppertunity. Never has any one said to me he shouldn't be playing a mans sports.

Sometimes I wish I would have talked him out of football and had him flying at 8 insted of starting the hobby last yr.

I've seen your son fly and seen him play on the sim... He loves what he is doing with a passion... Let him go until he no longer enjoys it... There are worst things he could be doing.
Old 02-19-2005, 12:44 PM
asteele73

Ray,

That is an interesting point that gentleman you were talking about made. On the other hand it appears Kyle really enjoys flying these rc helis and if it is his idea to go to these competitions then so be it. I am 32 and Kyle has ruffled none of my feathers by his success at flying. I only wish he lived closer to me so he could give me lessons. lol.

I look at it a different way though. Kids nowadays have big problems trying to find constructive things to do, and lots of times, no matter how good we parents are, they get involved in drugs. Kyle is in a hobby that I can tell you is not associated at all with drugs. There are far worse things he could be involved in. If this hobby provides an out for kids, away from drugs, I am all for it. I think what you have gotten Kyle into with these rc helis, because after all you said he used to carry the heli for you, is an excellent way for father and son to have something in common, and also an excellent way to keep him away from the peer pressures children experience.

Keep posting here, because I think Kyle has acquired a fan club of sorts whether he wanted to or not. I have probably watched that video 10 times, and showed it to many more people. He is a fantastic rc pilot and appears to be having a blast. Knowing that our kids are having a good time in something that is safe and worthwhile is a lot of the battle.

Take care.

Adam
Old 02-19-2005, 03:26 PM
bdavison

Honestly, I think it should be a decision for Kyle to make.

Has anyone asked him if he wanted to fly competitively? Or does he just fly to have fun.

To each his own, but in my opinion, it would be such a waste of talent not to have him try competitive flying.

Many of us would love to have that talent, and the opportunity to take advantage of it. Your right, it might tick off the older pilots, but this should be their problem, not your son's. If they dont like or cant handle getting beat by a kid, perhaps THEY choose the wrong hobby. The movie "Good Will Hunting" comes to mind here.

I come from the frame of thought that we need more kids in the hobby not less. What happens when all of us older flyers finally head to the runway in the sky. Who is going to be there to keep it going. Look at amateur radio. Those guys ignored getting youth involved, and now the hobby is struggling to get folks involved. Kids are more interested in cell phones that take pictures, than QSL cards from austrailia.

Your kid's got a talent. At the very least I would encourage him to use it how he sees fit.

Of course there is something to be said for just having fun too.
Old 02-19-2005, 06:41 PM
tanasit

When I first saw the video, I thought it was a trick because may be the boy was at the stick just for show but someone else is flying off the camera.
This thread proved me wrong and raise the WOW factor by ten folds! I saw many amazing 3D rc helicopter video but Kyle has some moves that I saw the first time. Even with the sim, I can't do all those moves and I've been flying rc helicopter for over 25 years.
Congrat Ray for your genious son. Don't worry about his future, he will be more than fine.
Thank you Kyle for the show!
Old 02-19-2005, 09:19 PM
darkfa8
My Feedback: (19)

I've done video work for nearly 20 years and I'm well of aware of ins and outs of video trickery. I had hoped to see some foreground shots of Kyle at the sticks with the heli in the background executing his commands for confirmation of reality. Nonetheless, after seeing his father post and other people verify his abilities, my impression was positively impressed.

I wonder if Kyle treats flying the actual heli as though it's something of a video game. I suppose if you spend enough time on a simulator and develop a fearless level of experimentation, considering the lack of risk, then carrying that over to the real thing for most would be a hell of a risk monetarily. Why not though?

If Kyle does enjoy what he's doing and does want to persue professional competition, then I say let him at it. If the other current set of entrants have a problem then I suppose they better refine, rehash and renew their routines to stay competitive. I see nothing wrong with raising the bar.

Good luck and I better get my butt back on Reflex cause the weather sucks and I need to get hovering down still [&o]
Old 02-21-2005, 03:02 PM
davbow
My Feedback: (6)

I thought this had to be trick filming but obviously not according to the posts... anyway... Your son has given me awesome inspiration... i am 31 and i recently just bought a 3rd heli...(getting back into it after selling my others..) when i saw this video...it lit a fire under my butt ... i am going to hit helis hard this summer.. as far as letting your son continue... i would.... flying rc helis may lead into something such as being a real heli pilot..... i get sick of all this "oh we, have to start these kids in football in full pads, full contact in 3rd grade....." i like seeing a young pup like him doing this... Parents are getting their kids wrapped up in sports at such a young age that they are going to hate it by the time they are in junior high.. and like another member here said... his kid's knees and back are giving him problems.. your chances of getting a scholarship for football for college and going into the NFL are about like getting hit by lightning. At least with this great hobby,,, it can be continued for the rest of your life and be shared your son, daughter, father, mother etc.....
KEEP HIM AT IT..!!!
Old 02-21-2005, 06:38 PM
rstacy

No trick photography guys but thanks for the compliment!

It is a fun hobby that we both enjoy.

I never ask Kyle to practice on the sim and I never drag him to the field.

He never misses a day of practice and he is always at the field with me...but only because he wouldn't have it any other way.

Thanks for the great support and encouragement!

Ray
Old 02-24-2005, 04:12 PM
Ian.W

cant see the video [&o]
Old 02-24-2005, 04:13 PM
Ian.W

dont worry. got into it tru the club website
Old 02-24-2005, 04:20 PM
rstacy

Sorry about that.
The club had to pull it from their main web page.
The traffic took them over their alloted bandwidth.
I should say way over! That has never happened before.
Thanks RCU!!! Kyle and I appreciate the support.
You can get the video here and there is unlimited bandwidth.

[link=http://216.120.246.42/~raymond/dplayfair/kyle05feb.wmv]http://216.120.246.42/~raymond/dplayfair/kyle05feb.wmv[/link]
Old 02-24-2005, 04:54 PM
bdavison

"His take was to stop promoting Kyle and to spend time getting him in to other areas of life. "

Like what? Hmm...too young to vote, drive, or get married, and ya cant quite kick him out on his own yet.

"The reason being that helicopters wont carry you very far and the pressure of playing in adult's arena is too much for a kid. "

I dont get it....Jiminy Crickets, Im sure glad no one ever told Sikorsky that. He designed, built and flew his own rubber band helicopter models at age 12, and by age 33 he owned his own aircraft company and was building airplanes for Pan Am. Not to mention he was the first man to successfully design and fly a helicopter. Id like to know what your friend thinks could possibly top that.

"Also that having a 9 year old flying like this will not convince many people to get in to the hobby and will most likely ruffle the feathers of the adult pilots."

If I was 9, and saw that video...my parents would be going nuts hearing me begging for a heli. And as an adult, it doesnt ruffle my feathers, I think its cool as hell.

"It was also suggested that it isn't good for a 9 year old to be doing anything at the XFC, IRCHA or anywhere else and that we should just sit back and enjoy it for what it is."

Sounds to me like someone who's afraid he's gonna get smoked by a 9 year old in competition. HEHEHE....Let em have it Kyle.

"By the time he is 16 he will found other interests any way."

Oh NO...I hope not...
Just remember Kyle. Repeat after me...Girls have cooties, you'd rather be flying...Repeat over and over again...

Old 02-25-2005, 04:38 PM
Ian.W

amazing[X(] unbeliveable.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:03 PM
Tanner Hall

ORIGINAL: bdavison

WOW..

Its nice to see a master fly. I would definatly consider this kid a master of the sport after watching that.

This kid needs to be in competition now. He's most certainly ready to take on any and all.
SWEET.
ok, he's very very good but he's not in the same league as the true "masters" like jason, curtis or (especially!!) alan s....YET. if he keeps at it, he probably could be among the best.

for an idea of where the true state of the art is at these days, watch this szabo vid: http://www.augustoheli.com/videostu...at_the_Lake.zip
Old 02-26-2005, 10:15 PM
bdavison

Well, I would agree that Curtis Youngblood could give the kid a run for the money. But I think the kid IS ready. Obviously you cant expect the kid to go win every competition, but I think he would do VERY well. Im guessing place in top 10 against those fellows. Assuming he could learn the format.

I got the wonderful opportunity to see Curtis fly about 6 years ago in competition. Real up close. I will never forget him hovering inverted with a pin on the rotor head, and putting the pin in the hole on a pegboard table....while flying. UNREAL.

I still think that Kyle could compete. He doesnt have to go up against Curtis to prove himself. There are plenty of competitions in which he could probably place 1st or at the very least take something in top 5. You never know, theres always a chance that he could beat Curtis.

Honestly the kid is good..real good. Sure there are things he can learn. But Id say hes ready.

Old 02-27-2005, 12:53 AM
Merkaba

Well i say you should just let your kid know that youre not pressuring him, and that if he doesnt want to fly anymore one day that it will be ok. Let him know its his choice and you support whatever he does. Other than that , other people should realize this as well before they just make general everyday typical comments.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.