Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

autorotation?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 08:03 PM
lyk2fly
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default autorotation?

Hi all.....I have just a few questions about autorotation. How much altitude do you need in order for the autorotation to be succesful? About how many feet before impact do you raise the collective? Do you raise the collective gradually or quickly? I have attempted this about 10 times and it scares me to death! Some tries have been better than others. I was just wanting some advice.
Thanks,
Mark
Old 05-01-2005, 10:29 PM
RotorNut

Default RE: autorotation?

It depends on your heli setup and blades. The way I like to experiment with a new heli is to do a powered auto. I'll set my blade speed to around 1800 rpms and have my throttle curve drop on the low side of the stick so I'm at an idle with about -5 degrees on the blades(not for aerobatic autos). Climb up to about 100 or 150 feet and drop the throttle to an idle. I listen to the sounds of the blade as it comes down. You can hear them speed up and slow down. Look about how far the heli falls before the blades seem to hit their Max rpm. Next thing I do is add in some collective at varied rates and listen to how the blades sound. If the blades slow down right away there was to much collective if they don't try more. This will give me a rough idea of a few things, how much collective I can give without slowing the blades down to much, how fast the heli will slow down at that rate, and the minimum altitude for starting an auto. If you need help learning to auto, rusirius wrote a good post of how to learn them which is about the same way I learned to do them. Here is a link to it.[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Autorotations%2DAdvice_needed/m_2805045/tm.htm]autorotation[/link]
Old 05-02-2005, 06:05 AM
lyk2fly
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: autorotation?

Thanks RotorNut.....I'll check out the link.
Mark