Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

My Rappy is unhappy with the cold!!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

My Rappy is unhappy with the cold!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2001, 02:44 AM
akforsyth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Rappy is unhappy with the cold!!!

I hope someone can help me with this problem. I am a newbie and am still kinda insane, it was -16C here today (around 0F I think). My heli was flying great for about the first half a ank, then the little OS that could started to loose power. Within a couple of minutes it could not even get enough head speed to lift off the ground. I figure it is the carb setting, but am unsure if it needs to be richer or leaner, or if it is another problem altogether. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks
Old 12-31-2001, 02:53 AM
microflight

As the air gets colder it also gets denser which will cause the engine to go lean.
Just richen the high speed needle and that should do it.
Old 12-31-2001, 03:31 AM
Hitch-Hiker

Default burrrrrrr

That post just made me cold!

I have been doing the oposite, it has been getting colder here in stages, like 10 degrees a week. every week I have been going in with the carb settings on my os32 and os50 engines.

Was your heli making lots of smoke??

Jeff
Old 12-31-2001, 12:16 PM
Tom Day

Let's see...Florida says set it richer (don't see 0 F on a regular basis), Youngstown Ohio (see 0 F on a regular basis) says lean it up...Hmmmmm, I'm going to lean mine up too.

Tom (near boston)
Old 12-31-2001, 12:28 PM
Scotty740

Microflight has it right. Colder weather means denser air and you'll need to richen up the needle some. You also might want to take a little pitch out of the blades and they pull more with the denser air.
Old 12-31-2001, 03:07 PM
Hitch-Hiker

Default thanks scotty

There are so many varibles that affects these helis.. you guys are right with the colder and denser air. The weather here has been so goofy this last month we just adjust accordingly every time out. My machine has just seemed to start 4 stroking more and more so I have been going to the lean side. Our weather has also gone form dry to the humid and rain side to the dry again.

Akforsyth, was you machine making lots of smoke, on not any? Both a very lean engine and a very rich engine will loose power.

Thanks again Scotty,
I would take Flordias weather over Ohios weather any day!!

Jeff
Old 12-31-2001, 07:37 PM
akforsyth

Very little smoke...I richened it up a couple of clicks, but by then I could no longer feel my fingers (or any part of my body attached to them) so I packed it in. Im leaving today to do the same thing at 1200, so I'll try richening it up and see what happens. Thanks everyone.
Old 12-31-2001, 10:36 PM
microflight

Default Thank you Scotty

Scotty,
Just wanted to say thank you for the support.
Jeff
Old 12-31-2001, 11:11 PM
akforsyth

Thanks for the help guys. Took the Rappy out again and it flew great with slightly richer setting. First time in some good wind gusts though, made it kinda difficult to hover, but by tank two I had it...then I realized that my GY401 was not in HH. Guess it was good practice. I'm not going to use HH anymore so that I learn to fly the tail a little bettr before moving to side on hover.