Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

X-cell Fury Extreme - Review

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

X-cell Fury Extreme - Review

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2002, 03:55 AM
gjestico
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X-cell Fury Extreme - Review

Welcome to the RCUniverse Fury Extreme review. I will be doing this review in forum here with individual posts for each stage of construction with pictures. Those with experience on the Fury or questions about items feel free to pipe in.
I would like to thank Ricks RC for supplying the kit, engine, muffler and blades. Check them out at www.ronlund.com.

The Fury is Miniature Aircraft's latest machine being an all-new design from Miniatures X-cell line of helis, but using many of the parts proven in previous X-cell helis. It is built with all 3-D features included, Torque tube tail drive, CF Tail Boom, CCPM swashplate control, ballbearings everywhere. The CCPM design and overall low parts count results in a lightweight machine.It has a very distinctive head-on profile, being quite a bit narrower than any other heli in this size range. This is touted as an advantage to backwards flying due to less drag

Fury is available in 6 versions, There being a 50 engine size basic and expert style, 60 size basic and expert, And the Fury extreme which has several features included to suit the latest "Big-Block" motors, IE longer carbon fiber tailboom, beefier Head parts and triple bearing mainshaft, as well as a metal tail gearbox. The longer boom allows use of 700+MM mainblades. The Extreme is broken into two kit versions, depending on engine choice of the YS 80 or OS 91. The only difference between the two kits being gear ratio to suit the engine, 8.18:1 for the OS 91, and 8.45:1 for the YS 80. This review will focus on the YS version.

Items used to complete the Fury will include:
YS80 engine
Hatori SB 15 muffler
Futaba Gv-1 governor
Futaba 601 gyro
Futaba 9252 cyclic/pitch servos
TG 710 blades.
Airtronics Stylus transmitter and receiver.

This combo represents the best parts available for a no-limits machine.
Old 10-28-2002, 04:31 AM
gjestico

Default What's in the box...

Upon opening the box one will find that all the parts are grouped in individual numbered bags that correspond with stages in the construction manual. All packaging was well done with little chance of any shipping damage occurring. My first impression of all the parts, inspecting them through the bags, shows a high level of quality. Locktite and allen wrenches were included, nice attention to detail. The manual is quite comprehensive, appears well organized although some of the illustrations could be sharper.
Included is a very nice white gelcoated glass canopy, just about ready to paint. There are scribe lines present for masking of the windshield outline and for the various cutouts that need to be made. A nice decal set is included that can be used on the canopy, But this canopy if off to canopyFX (www.canopyfx.com) for one of their custom paint jobs that will make this heli proud.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	32719_891.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	20639  
Old 10-28-2002, 05:07 AM
gjestico

Default Rotor head

Jumping right into it we begin with the rotor head, Step 1.1 in the manual. The flybar seesaw is already assembled out of the bag, allowing you to skip step 1.1B in the manual.
the main head block is aluminum and very nicely machined.
The bags to the left in the picture contain a selection of shims that can be used to adjust the head damping,

Name:	32725_891.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	20640  
Old 10-28-2002, 05:20 AM
gjestico

Default head finished

The head goes together pretty straightforward. I was impressed by the beefiness of the blade grips and large thrust and radial bearings. A set of snap ring pliers is needed to install the feathering spindle clips, these clips preload the damping o-rings leaving the blade holders free of tension.
The manual has you install the flybar at this point, I am going to leave that till later so I don't poke mysef in the eye while working around the heli

Name:	32726_891.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	20641  
Old 10-28-2002, 07:47 AM
manilaheli

For the uninitiated. MA's ball links can be a little tough to thread into plastic. Use a 1.5 mm allen key (preferably with handle) on the end of the ball and slowly ream it into whatever plastic part it needs to be threaded into.

Also, it makes good sense to have a shallow container with some isoprohyll alcohol always on hand to clean all the bolts of it's protective coating (used so that al bolts will not rust before sale)prior to installing in the heli. This ensures any loctite you will use with the bolts will have a good metal surface to bond with.

Loctite is included in the kit, so you don't have to get your own stock.

I also deferred installing the flybar (and flybar carrier) until later on when I had to mount the rotorhead on the main mast.

At this early stage in the game, you also have to make sure you have some good adhesive ready (JB weld) aside from the usual CA. If you don't plan to finish your fury in one sitting (which is normal), get some JB weld ready for the next succeeding sessions so you won't get cut off midstream.

You will also need to make sure your dremel is working and have enough cutting wheels if you plan to use Futaba servos. Safety is paramount when using these tools so better have protective gloves and goggles ready as well.

It's also wise to read ahead to Canopy preparation and painting and do the canopy in between steps if you plan to paint it on your own. This is because paint takes awhile to dry and if you want it really done well, you need to take the time to let stuff dry between steps. For the artistically-challenged, it's also wise to go have the canopy done professionally either by a good body shop or those who paint motorcycle helmets for a living.
Old 10-28-2002, 01:54 PM
Furyflyer2
My Feedback: (117)

How many shims did you use in the head?
Old 10-29-2002, 02:30 AM
gjestico

Default head damping shims

I went with the suggested ( by the instructions) firmer setting of one 1mm shim plus one .25 mm shim for a total of 1.25mm each side.
Old 10-30-2002, 04:04 AM
gjestico

Default left main frame

Here we go with step 2.1 assembling the L main frame.
The frame plates are made from G-10 material.
Central to the Fury design are the aluminum channels that connect and brace the frame halves, Ensuring square alignment.

Name:	33013_891.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	20642  
Old 10-30-2002, 04:08 AM
gjestico

No hangups here, Frame goes together as instructed. In this pic the stock bearing blocks for the TR drive and main intermediate bearing are shown. In a later post the optional single block that replaces these will be shown.

Name:	33015_891.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	20643  
Old 10-30-2002, 04:16 AM
gjestico

Default Assembling the maingear/auto clutch

The main gear is nicely machined and includes the beefy sprag clutch for the auto system. A split gear system is used to provide for a constant driven tail during autos.

Name:	33016_891.jpg
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	20644  
Old 10-30-2002, 04:24 AM
gjestico

The gear parts go together really well, thanks to the nicely machined parts. There is a point during assembly where the sprag bearing is filled with a significant quantity of oil, tri-flow reccomended. Some adjustment for fine tuning of the fit between the gears is done using shims that will be installed during the next step.

Name:	33017_891.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	20645  
Old 10-30-2002, 04:32 AM
gjestico

Default installing the main gear/shaft

Here we are going to install the main gear and main shaft to the frame. This is a critical step, a selection of shims is provided to adjust the auto hub axial play and the TR drive gear lash. The TR drive gear lash is very important to get as close as possible, the life of the inner main gear depends on it. How to accomplish this is stated in the manual.
In this shot you can see the upgrade bearing block (gray colour) just above the main gear. This helps ensure the alignment of the gears.
Visible to the front of the frame are the threaded inserts that will retain the servo screws. A nice touch to prevent fumbling around inside the frames with nuts.

Name:	33020_891.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	20646  
Old 10-30-2002, 04:41 AM
gjestico

Default Aseembling the frames

The right main frame has been prepared with the rear CCPM bellcrank, also in this pic you can see the radio support tray has been added to the left frame. The frame halves are ready to be joined.

Name:	33023_891.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	20647  
Old 10-30-2002, 04:45 AM
gjestico

Main frames assembled with CCPM bellcranks.

Name:	33025_891.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	20648  
Old 10-30-2002, 04:48 AM
gjestico

Default Landing gear

Gear parts.

Name:	33026_891.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	20649  
Old 10-30-2002, 04:50 AM
gjestico

Default Starting to look familiar..

The gear goes on easily and this is where we are now:

Name:	33027_891.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	20650  
Old 10-30-2002, 04:18 PM
Lift
My Feedback: (1)

Default Questions?

Sorry to interrupt the "Extreme" review but I had a couple of questions regarding the differences between the Expert and Extreme. If you don't mind.....that is

1) The upgrade bearing block is only on the Extreme version?

2) Your kit shows silver skids and white struts. Are these standard on all Fury kits??

3) Can you overtighten the mainshaft or tailrotor bearing blocks and cause unwanted loading on the bearings?

Looks great so far. If your camera has a flash it might help some of these images if you are far enough away and can zoom in...
Old 10-30-2002, 04:26 PM
Furyflyer2
My Feedback: (117)

Default Re: Questions?

A- Yes

3) Can you overtighten the mainshaft or tailrotor bearing blocks and cause unwanted loading on the bearings?

A- No they no longer have a through bolt , all the bearing blocks now come threaded.
Old 10-31-2002, 02:18 AM
gjestico

The many Furys I have seen, experts and extremes, have the white struts and bare aluminum gear tubes. They have been newer kits though.
Old 10-31-2002, 06:51 AM
flmgrip

Default Re: Re: Questions?

Originally posted by Furyflyer2

did not come with my extreme, nor did it come with two BB supports in the tail...
Old 10-31-2002, 06:59 AM
gjestico

I am not sure if the TR drive bearing block is standard on the Extremes now. I do know that another local flyer here had the double bearing torque drive standard in his latest kit.
Old 10-31-2002, 07:03 AM
gjestico

Default TR gearbox

I am going to jump forward from the sequence in the manual and get to the TR gear.

Here are the hub parts. Thrust bearings are included and I was pleased to find the hub needed no grinding to balance.

Name:	33171_891.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	20651  
Old 10-31-2002, 07:06 AM
gjestico

Pitch slider parts:

Name:	33172_891.jpg
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	20652  
Old 10-31-2002, 07:10 AM
gjestico

Gearbox parts. The Extreme has an aluminum case standard.

Name:	33173_891.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	20653  
Old 10-31-2002, 07:14 AM
flmgrip

Originally posted by gjestico
I am not sure if the TR drive bearing block is standard on the Extremes now. I do know that another local flyer here had the double bearing torque drive standard in his latest kit.
when doing a review you should stick with stock parts out of the box...

thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.