Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

"backyard" flying advice wanted

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

"backyard" flying advice wanted

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 03:01 PM
skysurfer2010

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "backyard" flying advice wanted

How many of you guys fly your nitro helis in your backyards or at local unpopulated or private fields? How safe is it? Aren't you afraid of getting radio interferance on your channel? Any tips (including don't do it) for flying in local fields or your backyard?
Old 12-27-2005, 03:32 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts
Default RE: "backyard" flying advice wanted

Depends on how big your back yard is. The important thing is not to put yourself in a position to hurt yourself or someone else. If it doesn't "feel right" it probably isn't.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:43 PM
Flipper
My Feedback: (3)

I put is my own 8 acre flying field thats sits up against 35 acres of native prairie grass, we are talking wide open! I still get shaky when I fly my heli! Could just be because I suck at heli's though!
Old 12-27-2005, 05:40 PM
skysurfer2010

do you guys ever worry about channel interferance? i assume as long as you're not within 3 miles (5 to be safe, 10 miles even better) of a flying club you should be ok?
Old 12-27-2005, 10:30 PM
W H Bonney

To fly your heli on another mans channel sure would bite the big one, not to say I wont have the problem ( many miles away from the population ) there is no club in this area. I use the ham bands and even at that you could take a hit. We have many acres out back but ya know on sunday sure as ship some body drives up the lane to have a look. I would rather fly at the club field and pin my freq on the board. Now days it`s about hundred mile round trip so we fly out back. Good luck.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:19 AM
credence
My Feedback: (2)

Most transmitters only broadcast a little over one mile. On top of this, if you're standing near your model, and someone 1000 ft away turns on their transmitter, it's unlikely they'd shoot you down. You may get interference, but typically, the stronger signal wins out with the receiver. Atleast that's my understanding of how it works.

I fly in a local park and have never had any problems. Of course, I may end up eating those words some day when I come home with a heap o' heli, so take what you will from it .
Old 12-28-2005, 09:53 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts

If your worried either fly PCM or turn your reciever on and let it sit. If the heli goes nuts you may have some issues in your area. If it stays calm but twitches thats probably fine. Don't forget we dont fly any where near the edge of the range of our equipment because we wouldn't be able to see the helicopter so most of the time unless its someone right there with the same channel transmitter you aren't going to have much in the way of problems. If there's an off freqency repeater or pager tower nearby then your heli will go berzerk when you turn on just the rx.