Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Revo Mixing and GY401?

Old 11-23-2002, 05:39 PM
Joe Petro
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Revo Mixing and GY401?

If I understand the Futaba GY401 correctly, you don't use any revolution mixing in either normal or HH mode.
Is this correct?

Also, anyone using a Hitec 5945 digital with the GY401?

Thanks,
Joe Petro
Old 11-23-2002, 06:57 PM
basmntdweller
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My understanding is you don't use revo in HH. In normal it is a regular rate gyro and needs revo mixing. That's how all mine are setup.
basmntdweller
Old 11-23-2002, 10:28 PM
Charlie

I don't use revo mix on mine in normal mode and it is rock solid. I just used the gain if I remember correctly(I set it up a long time ago) and it has been working perfect.(knock on wood )
Old 11-23-2002, 11:05 PM
fiddy1

I have mine setup as instruction for gyro. No revo mixing at all. The heli is rock steady and doesnt move during climb out at all. If you use revo mixing, wont that affect the center position for the gyro causing the gyro not to go into HH?
Old 11-23-2002, 11:16 PM
basmntdweller

Gyro neutral is established at turn on when it should be in HH. Otherwise it won't initialize properly. Switching to normal with revo mixing won't affect gyro neutral.
I've been known to be wrong. I appreciate when I am corrected. I won't be wrong the next time!
Basmntdweller
Old 11-24-2002, 01:04 AM
fiddy1

Just did a test on my skiddy and 401. You can not use revo mixing and HH. As you turn on the gyro in HH, If you have revo on, as you move the collective/throttle up the revo moves the t/r. If you hit HH, and your stick isnt in same position as when you turned gyro on, the gyro will think its not centered. It will go into a dbl blinking error light on gyro. You will then need to reset neutral position by turning on and off the hh 3 time within 3 secs. But the same situation will occur if you move the collective. The gyro will then go into error mode again. Ive crashed when I didnt realize this on the first flight with this gyro. The tail swings left and right violently trying to find neutral and I tailed it in the ground. Learned the hard way I guess....:-)
Old 11-24-2002, 01:39 AM
basmntdweller

I agree completely, never use revo in HH. I will test on mine to see if switching between modes while using revo in normal can cause a fault like you did.
Upon initialization, first the gyro checks to see that it is commanded to be in HH. Then the gyro reads the pulse width of the yaw channel and sets that as neutral. At this point the red led glows steady indicating HH. Switching to normal won't change this preset neutral. In normal mode the gyro functions as any other rate gyro and should benefit from revo mixing as would any other rate gyro. Switching back to HH the gyro reverts back to the previously stored neutral pulsewidth.
This is my understanding and again I admit I may be wrong.
basmntdweller

PS revo mixing is only activated in the tx in normal mode and disabled in HH. You may have revo working and not realize it.
I just played with my 8U and I can't turn revo on and off like I can in my 9C. So, If your radio supports two gyro modes with and without revo you can use it. If your radio doesn't support dual modes, you can't use it at all.
I learn something new everyday!!!
Old 11-24-2002, 01:47 AM
fiddy1

I should state that I only own a super7 heli and could not test it on another radio. I did not know that some radios allow you to shut off revo via swith or mode. I learned something new also...