Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Nitro Helis- Noob ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 09:24 PM
fishy2k8
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitro Helis- Noob ?'s

how hard are nitro helis to mantain for a noob? how do you start them considering there is no pull start or starter box like with a car, ive heard they are easier to fly than a smaller electric, is this true? and what would be a good rtr nitro heli for a beginner that doesnt want to sell his soul to get a heli? thanks!

i have real flight G2 that i practice my heli flying on.. and ive been wanting one for a while... im into surface machines right now.. but in the future i will get a heli... thanks again
Old 04-18-2006, 12:01 AM
-Inverted-

Default RE: Nitro Helis- Noob ?'s

They hae a shaft start system, similar to trucks, except it's beefier. The raptor is a good choice as parts are cheap and plentiful.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:12 AM
Charlie

how do you start them considering there is no pull start or starter box like with a car
Starting equipment for a nitro heli. Thunder Tiger sells a complete field kit if you want to go that way.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22283.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	447180   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hd94579.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	2.4 KB
ID:	447181   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97765.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	447182   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98618.gif
Views:	27
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	447183  
Old 04-18-2006, 12:19 PM
WhtBronco

Charlie has covered the starting equipment well so I won't go into that.

A Raptor 30 or better yet a Raptor 50 is a great nitro heli to start with. RTF nitros(heck helis in general) are a mistake IMO and many others will back this up. You will have to perform some maintenance on the machine and will likely have to repair it at some point so having assembled it is a good thing as you have to learn the machine. Assembling the heli is also very helpful in troubleshooting issues and it helps with the terminology and understanding so you ask more informed questions here later down the road. They don't take that long to assemble and no more tools are required to assemble a heli from a kit than I would use to on an ARF or RTF. Hirobo has the only RTF nitro I know of on the market BTW, and I have no doubt it's a good machine.

Keep working on that simulator it will pay huge dividends down the road for you. Flying will result in fewer crashes and reduce the expenses associated with them.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:33 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts

The R30 is available in ARF but as Chris said there's no good reason not to build one. They are fun, there's a step by step build guide on http://www.raptortechnique.com and you just don't know if the person building it flys helis or forgot locktite on some critical bolt because it was 2am in his little factory and he just didn't care.

Thats also why you strip any used heli down to the frames and rebuild it unless you know the person that put it together.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:16 PM
fishy2k8

what the price different between a kit and rtf and whats a good inexpensive heli radio with gyro?
Old 04-18-2006, 09:05 PM
-Inverted-

what the price different between a kit and rtf

They don't make many, if any RTF nitro heli's.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:56 PM
larksrc

whats a good inexpensive heli radio with gyro?
Futaba 7CHP with a GY240.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:57 PM
fishy2k8

are there any build of reviews or threads on a heli kit?
Old 04-19-2006, 09:03 PM
RCer22

I would look on here under reviews you may find some. You should also know as stated before you realy are better off putting a kit together rather than getting an ARF or (RTR I see your into cars flyers say ARF or RTF). You don't know what the guy putting the thing together did. There is also good help around these forums but you realy need someone that flies them to help you get into the air.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:20 PM
fishy2k8

ya i know.. if i got one, i would have to find some kinda club to get training so i dont crash it into a billion pieces after building it!
Old 04-20-2006, 07:48 AM
WhtBronco

Read over [link]http://www.raptortechnique.com[/link] careful and thoroughly. The site has a great deal of very good info on it that will answer most of your questions.

Well even the Hirobo Sceadu 30 combo kit is just an ARF with almost everything required included. There is still some assembly required nad IMO some disassembly required to ensure it's assembled correctly.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:37 PM
cougar90

Like the others have said, it's best to go with a kit heli, I'd recommend the thundertiger raptor 30 or 50, or a hirobo sceadu evo 30 or 50 depending on your budget. I've got an evo myself which was a kit and only took me 2 afternoons to assemble it, also it flys really well. I've flown a raptor 50v2 before which was someones where I fly and it flew very similar to my evo.
If you do get a kit heli, take your time with it and it will pay off as you'll now how to rebuild it if you ever have to do a repair.