Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

The new Phoenix Simulator

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

The new Phoenix Simulator

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 04:07 AM
outmyway

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The new Phoenix Simulator

I got the new Phoenix sim yesterday, have been playing it for around 4hrs today ...

[link=http://www.phoenix-sim.com/]http://www.phoenix-sim.com/ [/link]

It is absolutley superb, cant fault it ...

Photo graphics that never cease to amaze (even includes float and water stuff) ... and the physics are the best I have seen ....

Its very new, been out about a month and designed in the UK .... sells for £80 which over here in England is about 30% cheaper than all the others ....

Its never crashed, runs on my 3gig 1gig RAM PC like smooth velvet ..... Its a shame they dont have a demo yet, the few video clips on their site dont do it justice ... plus the latest version has a lot more models ....

(Even the fixed wing are very good, not really what I bought it for, but things like stall turns work just like real life .... the Heli's fly near perfect with a wide slection of both electric and petrol.)

Has a very good Heli training mode which allows practice of just collective, or individual roll or pitch ... plus an autorotation practice feature ...

I would say this is like Reflex - but no bugs, much more PC efficient, better physics and easier setup/menus ....

Old 10-03-2007, 03:09 PM
PilotSmith
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: The new Phoenix Simulator

That Phoenix program looks sweet. Plus it comes with a USB adapter that lets you connect it to most radios. It is still a bit expensive at $160 (damn dollar keeps falling). One thing you can do with Clearview to help see the heli better is to change the default view mode to one of the closer view modes. That way the heli does not get so small at a distance making it hard to maintain orientation. When you figure the cost of ClearView after you add a USB adapter (about $70 total cost) to use it with a radio, the Phoenix is not that bad in price. $90 more expensive but in this hobby that really is not that much I guess... But overall I am still happy with the ClearView program.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:44 PM
outmyway

I've been using Phoenix now for nearly a year and have nothing but praise for it. Its very realistic and accurate model with superb graphics.

Re. Clearview and closer in view modes ... a nice feature but not realistic in terms of learning.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:18 PM
bilboa

In any case, Phoenix has pretty much the same thing. Under the View menu, select Auto Zoom, and it will zoom in on your model as it gets farther away. It's not exactly the same as ClearView's Always Close mode though. In Phoenix Auto Zoom mode, the model is still allowed to eventually get smaller, it just happens slower than without autozoom; it's as if you were looking through a camera and zooming in on the model as it flew away, you can only zoom in so far. I like this better than ClearView's Always Close mode, because it still preserves some depth perception since the model gets smaller as it gets farther away, but it helps save my eyes when using the sim with a small laptop screen.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:13 PM
PilotSmith
My Feedback: (1)

I was not referring to the "always close" mode. I agree that it is not realistic as the heli always stays large and close to you like in a chase view in some other sims. What I was referring to was the option to select among 25, 39 or 50 degree view modes. As written in the manual:

"The first 3 zoom modes provide fixed field of view. The 50 degree provides wide view of the field and is usefull for wide monitors to create real cinematic experience. The 25 degree can be used with smaller models so you don’t loose them from site. The 39 degree is the natural field of view and provides a good balance between the need to have general field awareness and good view of the model as well."

With the smaller helis like the Trex using the smaller 25 degree view essentially magnifies the full screen image but it is still realistic as the further away you get the smaller the heli becomes. In the default view mode the smaller helis get too small too soon and then you have a hard time seeing what you are doing.

I'm hoping that at some point in time I can get to where even if I have limited visibility, I can predict where the heli is going, and what it is doing, based on the stick inputs I give to the heli. While to a degree I can do that with my airplanes, I'm not sure if that is something one can also do with a heli, as it seems that there is a strong inherent desire for a heli to fall out of the sky when left unattended for a few seconds.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:45 AM
bilboa

Ah, I understand. You can change the fixed field of view in Phoenix very easily. In fact, instead of just 3 settings it has continuously variable zoom. Just use the up and down arrow keys to zoom farther in our out. Note that this feature was added in 1.04 I think (don't remember for sure which version, but it wasn't always there), so make sure you're running a current update.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:38 PM
heli-jack

What kind of adapter do i need?

When i add the software to my shopping cart its asking for a choice of adapters. I dont have a controller. The phoenix software comes with a controller does it not?

BTW, which controller is good -- i will need one when i buy my Trex 450 SE v2. I have seen Futuba mentioned a lot -- if i were to buy this which adapter should i buy?

thanks
Old 02-19-2008, 08:35 PM
mysterrik
My Feedback: (15)

Just got my copy of this sim and I am very impressed with it... I used to own FSONE which I will be giving to my brother..... I love phoenix! It interfaces with my DX7 right off the bat.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:06 PM
Elgreco3

My little review that might help potential buyers:

I have and used all major simulator programs and I must say that reflex and phoenix are the best 2.

I have not seen the G4 but have the G3.5 and gave up on it upon introduction of the other 2.

I do like phoenix slightly more than reflex, graphics seem more vivid but you can't go wrong with either, but unless I did not see it yet, reflex does not seem to have much training going on.

BTW, one thing that G3.5 has over them, is the training. A lot more options. Phoenix lacks in that, with only hovering and auto training, and is still limited in models but will get there.

Reflex has an abundance of models on the other hand but it's out longer than phoenix.

Anyway, in order of preference :

1- Phoenix
2- Reflex (but close )
3- G series
4- Clearview (Believe it or not for 30-40 bucks, it's awesome for the money, if you can't afford the big ones, go for it definitely.)
5- Aerofly

Old 02-21-2008, 12:07 PM
redvtr1000

Heli-Jack,

Phoenix does not come with a controller. You must use your own, which IMO is a good thing because you get used to the feel and aren't going between different controllers, despite the wear and tear on the gimbals.

It comes with a jr style plug (I believe thats what they call it), DSC maybe, that plugs into the trainer port on your tx. Looks like an oversized headset jack.

Buy a dx7 and you will never look back. If you get a dx7, you do not need a special adapter to run phoenix.

The software will run great on a 2ghz machine, thats what I run it on, with a decent graphics card and it is wonderful.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:21 PM
heli-jack

DX 7 ---can you tell me the comparable counterpart in Futaba.

Also the trend seems to be towards 2.4 Ghz --- is this true? Since i am just learning i would not want to spend way too much money on the latest 2.4 Ghz but would like to know your opinion and will also ck out the price difference between the two

Please advise

TIA
Old 10-08-2008, 07:45 PM
v6goose

Hey guys...

I have just got mine and cant for the life of me, get my Futaba 12z to connect.

Are any of you using a 12z for this seemingly great sim?

Cheers

Goose
Old 12-24-2008, 09:44 AM
michael9054
My Feedback: (2)

Hi goose,
I cannot connect to the simulator phoenix either,have you managed to connect yet?lease let me know!
Best regards, Michael9054
Old 12-24-2008, 09:56 AM
v6goose

Hi Michael...

Yes I have. Phoenix support is excellent and we worked it out.

Your 12z has to be in Trainer mode which occurs automatically as soon as you plug the cable to your transmitter.

Answer Yes to the on-transmitter question Do you wish to continue in trainer mode?

Phoenix will only recognise 8 channels, be sure yours is set to 8.

Once I had done this it all works beautifully.

PS: If your 12z is NOT 2.4GHz, you will also need to set it to PPM modulation, NOT PCM.

Good luck!

Goose
Old 03-17-2011, 06:53 PM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

I have some problem with setting up. The 12z is not recognized by the sim. Just wonder how to set 12z to be a 8 channel radio.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:35 PM
cmsilvoy

OK, hope this info is not coming too late.

For all wondering, I have just gotten my 12Z to work with CSM v10.

Go to SYSTEM menu.
Enter TRAINER menu.
Set the ACt/INH to ON
Choose STUD
8Ch
PPM Modulation

Be sure to set up a model in your transmitter specifically for simming.

This will work.

My TX does not automatically turn on or go into trainer mode when the plug is inserted on the back.

Let me know if this info is useful.

Chris
Old 06-12-2011, 07:34 AM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks. I found the adaptor cable is the problem.