Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

JR vigor start drive problem

Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

JR vigor start drive problem

Old 02-22-2003, 05:45 PM
TAILHOOK-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR vigor start drive problem

2 JR vigor w/os91 .I'm getting a squeel with no start abilty after 10-15 starts on both new machines.One had trouble(made noise but still worked) from day one,the other was fine(no noise) untill it failed. Are there any problems with the one way bearings in the clutch?Starter shaft,starter nut,nut spinning on the shaft,starter spinning on the shaft,and loose motor to cluch have all been ruled non-factors.Bearing works perfect when shaft is chucked in a drill and inserted into it.???????????????????
Old 02-22-2003, 09:52 PM
Buzzin Brian
My Feedback: (1)

I tried to answer this question on the other site that you posted this question on. Here is a copy of what I had to say about it.

What we have found with that is that the shaft is slipping in the one way bearing. It will not actually fail, But it will always have problems starting the big blocks. I have a buddy that has had one doing that for over 25 gallons of fuel, with a YS 80 in it. I have also flown with a few JR reps, and they to have the problem. With the OS 91, I noticed that they were loosening the plug to get them started as well. So yours is not a unique situation. Even Curtis's birds were doing it when I met him in Fort Smith this last year. You can take it out ( the clutch stack) without splitting the frames. It is really not that big of a deal. If you do take it out, about all you can do is clean it up real good, regrease it, and put it back in. It will sound OK for a while. But will soon start to do the same thing. If you need to know how to get it out without splitting the frames let me know. I will help all I can. It would be easier to describe over the phone. But if needed I will try to do so here. I also have a Vigor CS, so I can give a good description bolt by bolt. Hope this helps. And let me know if I can help any further.
Old 02-22-2003, 11:35 PM
TAILHOOK-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks Brian.I think the general opinion is to break in the motor good and shim the head.Did you shim your motor?If so, how many thousanths.I believe one is .008".
Old 02-23-2003, 01:17 AM
Buzzin Brian
My Feedback: (1)

Mine is running a YS 80, and I haven't shimmed it at all. And wouldn't. I have no desire to change the compression of my engine. Nor have any of the guys I fly with. We just don't worry about it to much. None of us have ever had a problem getting our engines to start. It just makes an anoying sound when you start it. Let me know if I can help further.