Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Ray's Helicopter manual - Big Problems!

Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Ray's Helicopter manual - Big Problems!

Old 02-20-2002, 03:20 AM
maverick
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ray's Helicopter manual - Big Problems!

I bought a copy of Ray's Authoritative Helicopter Manual yesterday. I was aware that there were some corrections to the text and that a correction sheet was supplied with the book. However I was not aware that every 2 pages were still together as one piece of paper and that I would have to go through the whole book and cut the pages apart.

The book was in sealed plastic in the hobby store and therefore I had no idea until I got home and opened it up.

How can they continue to sell such rubbish?

Why doesn't the publisher recall all printed copies and re-print them?

I am extremely disappointed with this book and just hope that the content can make up for it.

I just wanted to warn other people that may be considering the purchase of this to be sure of what you are buying.
Old 02-20-2002, 03:27 AM
JRC
My Feedback: (1)

Default take it back

you may have got the only copy with joined pages?
maybe you should keep it as a colectors item

my copy did not have the joined sheet problem
and the figure problem didn't seem to bad to me - yet...
Old 02-20-2002, 03:38 AM
maverick

Default Re: take it back

Originally posted by JRC
maybe you should keep it as a colectors item
Too late! I was desperate to get it open and read it so I went at it with a knife and being annoyed about the whole experience you can imagine what it looks like now! Definitely not a collector's item anymore.
Old 02-20-2002, 03:38 AM
dibbs

i ordered my copy through RCM , got it in the mail in about 2 weeks . it was in fine shape. i`d call RCM, i bet they would make it right by you.
Old 02-20-2002, 11:35 AM
ShempHoward
My Feedback: (3)

Maverick: Had you asked me I could have lent you an earlier version that I borrowed from Phil Hill. Larry also has it and like me was not very impressed with it at all. Phil has a couple of VHS tapes covering most of what you need to know about Helis and set up and I'm sure he'll lend them to you although they are long, detailed and can be a bit boring at times but are much better than Ray's book.
Old 02-20-2002, 01:32 PM
TampaRCGuy
My Feedback: (282)

Default Rays

I just got mine in last week from Graves in Orlando, FL. No problems. As far as content, well its hard reading to be honest. I have skimmed through each section. While it does have a tremendous amount of information, some of the content is fluff.
Old 02-20-2002, 03:44 PM
maverick

Originally posted by ShempHoward
Maverick: Had you asked me I could have lent you an earlier version that I borrowed from Phil Hill. Larry also has it and like me was not very impressed with it at all.
Well I picked it up on a whim when I was in Sacramento. That is why I am so annoyed. If it was from a local hobby store I would return it. Oopps just realised one of the local Bay Area hobby stores won't do returns! But that is a whole other thread and don't get me started on that one!

Phil has a couple of VHS tapes covering most of what you need to know about Helis and set up and I'm sure he'll lend them to you although they are long, detailed and can be a bit boring at times but are much better than Ray's book.
We don't own a VCR. So I wouldn't be able to play these. This house is a DVD only shop now! Thanks anyway.
Old 02-20-2002, 08:14 PM
gjsinke

Shemp: How can I obtain a copy of those tapes? I am new to helis and want to learn all I can from a good source.
Jim
Old 02-20-2002, 08:58 PM
ShempHoward

I will try to find out where you can get the tapes I mentioned but it will take some time as the owner is on vacation now. I should have the info in about a weeks time.
Old 02-20-2002, 10:28 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

>

I would be very interested to hear your definition of "fluff".

Steve
Old 02-20-2002, 10:35 PM
flmgrip
My Feedback: (2)

I do not think there is "one" good book for rc-heli out there. I think rays manual is good for the basics and explains things well. And like with a lot of things, there is always more than one way to do things and any book or person will base it on their personal experience. Talk to 10 people how to setup and fly a heli and every one will tell you something different, except the very basics.
You just had bad luck with the pages "together" that can happen with any book.
As for the corrections, since rc-control is a small market and the publisher wants to keep the cost down, I guess they decided to add those pages instead of a complete new setup (and high cost) for some minor changes
Old 02-21-2002, 02:00 PM
TampaRCGuy
My Feedback: (282)

Default fluff

Lots of information that is nice to know, but not necessary. Usually the first and second pages are history, theory, and other information. While it is good information if you want it, it puts me to sleep and has for the 1st 4 chapters!
Old 02-21-2002, 03:47 PM
Steve Campbell2

>

Okay, fair enough. I'll agree that a lot of the full-scale theory he includes can be tough to plow through, but since it all applies to the flight characterisitcs of the models, it can be helpful to know WHY something does what it does.

If one already knows it (or doesn't care to know it), it could be a cure for insomnia...<G>

Steve
Old 02-21-2002, 06:49 PM
ShempHoward

I tried reading thru Dieter Schluter's book on Helis. This one will put you to sleep faster than reading Dicken's "Pickwick Papers". I was able to glean some useful info out of it but there is way too much technical theory. I think it was written for Philadelphia Lawyers to read and mull over.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:11 PM
vdonadio

Default RE: Ray's Helicopter manual - Big Problems!

Yeah Philadelphia Lawyers are the absolute worst money hungry people in the entire planet ......I know I work for them and believe me you would not like to be in close proximity unless you hae about 2400roms on a 600mm blade set near one of thier heads