Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Which servo for my tail ap-lee-k-she-oohn

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Which servo for my tail ap-lee-k-she-oohn

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 11:06 PM
rozzibandit
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which servo for my tail ap-lee-k-she-oohn

Which would be a better servo for the JR 500T gyro on a 30 machine with the webra 35. The JR DS821 or the Hitec HS-525BB. I know really neither is sufficient. But one will have to do. Right now the 821 lets the tail pass the stopping point then come right back. Will the Hitec do the same thing even though it will be a hair faster. And I mean a C hair faster... trimmed one that is...
Old 06-07-2007, 12:02 AM
dooleyje

Default RE: Which servo for my tail ap-lee-k-she-oohn

The 500T has two servo modes that you may or may not know. The high frame rate is for digital servos and standard frame rate is for standard servos. I would say any servo would work. The question is whether you want a lock in tail or not. I go for the fastest digital servo I can find and set the end point on the radio to 150% remove any tail mixing such as revo and expo and let the gyro do its Thang. I suggest a Futaba 9254, JR8700. Another thing is to make sure there are no binding in the linkages. As a note Jr gyros will slowly drift in one direction while on the ground and this is normal. Horizon Has a great how to for the 500T on their web site that really good.

Do you have a Venture screwed on you Webra?. I have one and like it very much. Had it for several years now. I son confiscated it and loves it.

JIM
Old 06-07-2007, 08:17 AM
rozzibandit

Yes sir, the webra is screwed into the venture cp 30. It flies really nice with the Weston pipe. Only thing is the tail passing the pint where I stop it, But I know what the problem is. I actually like the machine. Will be a great practice crash and burn machine. Did my first death spiral with it. But the tail almost made me crash it. I was nervous it passed where I stopped it and I got all shaky, LOL. Landed though
Old 06-07-2007, 08:05 PM
dooleyje

I do not know what you are saying in that it passing the point where you stop it. Discribe what it is doing. What do you think the problem is? I have Ventures and they are super stable.

Let us know,

JIM
Old 06-07-2007, 08:15 PM
rozzibandit

When I am piroing and stop the piro, meaning return the rudder stick to center the tail should BAM stop and stay right there. Instead it goes past the point where it should of stopped by probably 10 degrees then goes right back to where it should of stopped. All this is in HH mode.
Don't really know how else to explain it. I know the servo is not fast enough.

You should go read my new post "Gyro probs after servo switched".
Old 06-07-2007, 09:44 PM
dooleyje

Now I see.

It sounds like a binding problem in your linkage and or tail slider. The venture tailrod will bind up if you do not spot glue the rod guads with a spot of CA. The servo can't center or come back. Does it stop in non HH?. Remove linkage from servo and bang the control to simulate a hard turn and see if the servo returns to center right away. I hate to ask but are your blades on correct and not reversed? When you first turn on the heli switch you did not disturb the heli till for several second? Do you have the gyro mounted with shock absorbing double sided tape. Do you have and expo on the tail servo. Is you sens. rate high enough? Turn it up till the tail wags and then turn it down a little. Do you have dual rate programmed?

I can't think of any thing else. Hope you find it. The servo should stop the tail and not drift . I do not think the servo speed is the problem.

JIM
Old 06-07-2007, 10:42 PM
rozzibandit

No binding at all. It is just that the servo is not fast enough to keep up with the gyro I am sure. Everything is perfect with the setup on this venture. I have been flying and building since 2003 so I am somewhat experienced...key word being somewhat.
I did not glue the rods But I will do that right now. But I am pretty darn sure it never binds regardless. Glueing it now.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:23 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If there is no friction on the linkages, and everything else is set up right......... I'll bet that you are flying plastic tail blades....

Are you flying plastic or carbon tail blades?

The stiffness of the carbon blades will give you that sharp stop that you are after.

Rafael
Old 06-08-2007, 12:05 PM
rozzibandit

Indeed I am flying stock plastic tail blades. Will switch today.
Flying NHP for main blades.
Well I am glad to say the Hitec Hs525BB worked absolutely flawless!!! No problems at all and in standard rate mode. I moved the ball to 15mm from servo horn center and was very nice.
On a 30 machine only. Do not think it would work on anything bigger.

Last question, Should I set this heli/gyro up in normal rate mode and set the revo mixing on this?
Really appreciate all the info guys... Thumbs up..
Old 06-08-2007, 01:11 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Should I set this heli/gyro up in normal rate mode and set the revo mixing on this?
Why would you want to fly with the HH mode off? [sm=confused.gif]

Rafael
Old 06-08-2007, 01:43 PM
rozzibandit

LOL I don't I think.
Is there anything I should be doing with the gyro to set it up for 3d flying in idle up mode.
I can do some preety cool maneuvers but I am not sure I have my gyro set up.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:50 PM
credence
My Feedback: (2)

Theres lots of good reasons to fly without HH. Some people find it easier for forward flight since the tail will naturally weather vane, making it easier to track through turns (less rudder input required).

Also, if you are doing a scale model, HH looks unrealistic, rate mode is much better for this and behaves more like a real helicopter would.

If you set the delay right, almost any servo will work with a HH gyro fairly well. You won't get the instant response and completely solid holding power you'd get with a very fast digital, but it would still be more than flyable and give you a good hold. I fly a standard Hitec servo on my E converted Hawk Pro and get no problem with tail control using a GY401. I don't use the model for 3D though, it's my camera ship
Old 06-08-2007, 02:01 PM
tippy

ORIGINAL: Rafael23cc

Should I set this heli/gyro up in normal rate mode and set the revo mixing on this?
Why would you want to fly with the HH mode off? [sm=confused.gif]

Rafael
He's talking about setting up the heli ... not flying the heli.
You have to have RATE mode set up correctly. Even HH mode benefits from a properly set up heli and to properly set up the heli, you need to be in RATE mode.

After that, fly in HH to your heart's content.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:05 PM
rozzibandit

Ok, so when I set the rate mode up I do need to set revo mixing to or just forget about that completely?
I thought I read somewheres that it is better to fly 3D in rate mode. key word being thought, my mibd tends to play tricks on me,