Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Painting the canopy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2003, 01:51 PM
burnsie90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting the canopy?

I was planning on painting the canopy of my new Venture 30. Would it be a good idea to give it a coat of clear polyurethane over the paint? I think that it was polyurethane that can take the abuse of the glow fuel.

Am I right and/or does anyone have any suggestions on this?

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 03-03-2003, 06:06 PM
=XGC= OzZ

Default Go too

canopyfx.com , he has a weilth of info there..
Old 03-07-2003, 01:52 PM
Lift
My Feedback: (1)

Default Painting the canopy?

Kevin,
I recently started painting my own canopies. It's not a quickie wam-bam thing. If you want a paint job that won't get attacked by the exhaust/fuel and turn into a gooey mess you MUST use fuel resistant paints. The only paints that can with stand this are automotive quality paints. Urethanes, Lacquers, etc. are about all that can hold up(and not the Lacquers that you can buy in a spray can!).

If you want your paint job to stand up, follow Joe's tips for prepping the plastic by sanding and using an adhesion promoter. After you have primed and sanded and primed and sanded you will have a decent enough surface to paint. You can use Rustoleum or whatever rattle paint you want but it must FULLY cure between each color. That usually takes at 2-3 days. Then if you don't have painting equipment to shoot a an automotive clear coat, I would just take your canopy(mounted and prepped to be shot) to a local body shop and ask them to shoot a couple of coats of clear on it when they do their next car. If they charge you anything it shouldn't be more than $20.

Give it a try. Paining these canopies is a hobby of it's own. It is VERY rewarding and alot of fun. Although, nobody should bother doing it on their own unless they just simply like to paint. It takes you quite sometime to recoop your $$$ if you have to go out and buy a compressor, gun, supplies, respirator(sp?),......