Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Filming from RC helicopter

Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Filming from RC helicopter

Old 08-22-2007, 09:36 AM
GRANT ED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Filming from RC helicopter

A friend of mine makes videos of outdoor sports for several large companies. He was talking about using a full size helicopter in his next video to get some footage. I suggested using an RC heli. He was very intested in this and asked me a bunch of questions I could not answer, so here I am.
Is there a helicopter setup or kit that is made for this purpose? I have seen pics of helis with cameras in pods but am not sure if this is a custom setup. I would be very interested in talking to someone that has done this.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:56 AM
soop7667

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Filming from RC helicopter

I heard that they used RC Helis at the olympics to film from. In a Heli-Camera setup, there's certain things you need. If you want to be able to aim your camera setup, you're going to need both a Heli Pilot, and a Camera Operator. You'd also want an electric or gasser heli. Gassers are good because they're cheap to operate. Electrics are ok I guess - I would go gasser though. You don't want a nitro because Nitro's smoke a lot. You'd probably also want to get a stabilization system on-board as well. If you're going to do aerial phtotgraphy from a RC heli, having it up higer would give you the best view, and it's hard to maintain a level hover with a heli that's way high. The FMA co-pilot would work well for that. You should search the posts for AP or Aerial Photography. Also check this forum out http://www.rchelispot.com/viewforum....4712f3dd2e31c- I know a few guys here have camera ships.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:55 PM
ewolow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Filming from RC helicopter

Here's a link to a few AP Mounts you can get for existing helos if you are looking for on the cheap.

http://www.helihobby.com/html/rc_heli_cool_stuff.html