Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Heli and Motorcycle

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2003, 01:06 AM
TomM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heli and Motorcycle

So who carries a 30 size heli on a motorcycle? How and what do you take? Other than bungee cords and maybe a wood bracket on the backrest..... I dunno.
I have to start combining these two hobbies this year. Last year it was " Let's see... Nice sunny day....Do I go for a bike ride, or drive to the field?"

Tom
Old 03-23-2003, 02:50 AM
stevenyc1

Default choices, choices, choices.....

You're not the only one.....I've known of about 5 guys who have the weekly decision to go riding in the twisites on their sportbikes- or to go to the field and fly their helis.......

...life is good!
Old 03-23-2003, 05:33 AM
Turn&Burn

I have seen something like that before........do a google search on like backpack helis or some thing like that.....This guy had a raptor 30 and all of his gear in a backpack (large one of course)....He removed the boom and the blades and It all fit.........
Old 03-23-2003, 06:42 AM
bear750
My Feedback: (30)

I saw a website the other day about a guy who built a "box" for the back of his bicycle out of coroplast. Weatherproof, very light and sturdy (and probably only cost around $5 bucks). I'll try to find the site again and post it. You could probably do something like that and line it with foam.

Here you go
http://www.ihpva.org/Builders/WVolk/
Old 03-23-2003, 07:40 AM
crash1953

I knew a guy that had a trailer for his motorcycle and he carried everything in it .. He would carry his plank on the top and heli inside along with flight box and tools.. worked damn nice ..
Old 03-23-2003, 12:59 PM
Culverson
My Feedback: (14)

Most have sabddle bags, you might need to remove the tail boom as an assembly though as even the 02 Goldwing my brother just boughtlast year did not have enough roon the the R-L saddlebags nor rear high mounted storage unit either, If you were to take off the boom it would possibly work. Or you could use a rear mounted luggage mount and use bungee's to tie down the gear with..I would still remove the tail boom though..
Old 03-23-2003, 02:08 PM
TomM

I could fit a stripped down version of a field kit in the saddlebags. (Honda Shadow). Blades could also fit in there with a little sticking out. I was thinking of leaving the boom on and carry it 'nose down' in some kind of cradle, made with 2" closed cell foam and luan plywood, strapped on the passenger seat.
I could just picture something vibrating off and never be found again.
Old 03-23-2003, 03:13 PM
crash1953

The trailer that my friend used was just a regular utility trailer that you can buy at any home and garden store it is a kit form ..Then he put a car top carrier on it with some slots on top for his plank to tie down .. The helis he had would fit inside perfectly without any mods other than taking the blades off .. I think he really might have had enough room without taking them off .. He had enough room to carry all the extras he needed along side the heli inside ..He probably would have had a lot more room if he would have wanted on top of the carrier to ..he pulled it around with his goldwing .. It really worked good as near as I could see .. I have even thought of doing it since ..I love to ride too ..
Old 03-23-2003, 11:30 PM
TomM

That trailer idea will have to wait 2-10 years until I get my Goldwing ($$$)-lol. Still- enough luggage space on that bike to pack 2 helis.
Old 03-25-2003, 12:24 AM
Lynx

You could probably reduce the field kit size by tapping into the cycle's electrical system for your power.