Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

The Ultimate Guide on what heli to get.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

The Ultimate Guide on what heli to get.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2002, 03:46 AM
manilaheli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Ultimate Guide on what heli to get.

I posted this on runryder a couple of minutes ago, sorry for the dupes.

Once in a while, people ask over and over what heli to get whether newbies or intermediate flyers and almost always, lots of us here get dragged into the same discussion over and over (which I avoid now).

Over the course of the hobby, I've met alot of people along the way and I always get asked what to get. Here's my order of building up your fleet;

1st heli (0-6 months into the hobby)

It has to be a 30 size, plastic, cheapest to repair and maintain, fuss free. Average flight capability. Don't fall in love it with by putting all the upgrades known to man, you want to use this heli to master hovering all the way to circuit flying. I don't care of you're a student or Bill Gates, money will not improve your chances to be successful in this hobby, only your time and effort will.

On a budget, put more of it in avionics, if you do decide later on the hobby isn't for you, you can recover more than springing for the best kit if you decide to sell it.

You can get what others are flying.

Get a sim. If you can't afford it, don't get a heli yet. If you can borrow one from somebody who doesn't use it as much, you just need 2 weeks worth of sim time (at least 30 minutes a day) to be able to hover.

Don't buy USED unless a seasoned flyer is helping you! It's hard enough without adding the previous owners problems to your learning.

6 months later, if you're still hooked on r/c helis, you are a good candidate for a 2nd heli IF you at least can do the following;

- side hover (left and right)
- hovering circuits (figure 8s)

2nd Heli (6 months - 1 year)

After flying for 6 months with a group, you should already be decided what kind of flyer you are becoming. Choose;

1. Builder/Flyer - Loves to tinker, set-up and tweak.
2. Flyer/Builder - Enjoys flying more than fixing.

For the Builder/Flyer, your 2nd heli may be that dream heli you've been ogling at the LHS, BUT be truthful about answering the following;

- If you do get it, are you prepared to FLY it AND Crash it? The last thing a r/c helicopter is a expensive conversation piece sitting in a corner of the house or hanging in the garage.

You need to hone your skills on how to make this heli the smoothest flying, hassle-free, start-on-a-dime known to man. It should shine!

For the Flyer/Builder, if you are already contemplating be the next Curtis Youngblood, you ask yourself;

- Can I afford the time, effort and money needed to excel?

What you want in the learning stage (loops, rolls, stalls, inverted) is a heli you can toss around in the sky with the best avionics package (servos, gyro) you can afford. The reason for this is as follows;

- Helis come and go. Avionics can be moved from heli to heli.
- A cheaper heli w/ the better avionics will outfly a expensive one w/ an average flight pack.

Since this is your 2nd heli, you want RELIABILITY above all else, your first heli is fine as a backup, but mainly you MUST choose this heli to excel on to master the basic aerobatic routines. I would stay away from exotic engine/muffler combos that require too much tuning. You want something that will start, and keep running no matter what maneuver at the expense of not having the heli that out-climbs or out-flies everything else.

At this stage, you shouldn't put off learning autorotations, if you plan to use this heli for it, make it cheap first by keeping it bone stock, if you plan to use your first heli, then get some extra blades and tailboom so you're mentally prepared.

Since I'm practical... If you can survive with 2 helis, I'm proud of you. You are a master of your desires and do not let them rule your decisions. You can then think about squeezing in another hobby and succeed in that as well.

Unfortunately, if you like most of us mere mortals.... read on.

3rd Heli (1 year onwards)

At this stage you should be able to do the following (flyer/builder);

- Fast Forward Flight
- Loops, Rolls, Stalls
- Inverted tail and/or nose-in hover.

If your still flying religiously (at least one day a week). What you're doing is "maintenance". Meaning, flying so you don't lose the basic skills you already know, you're heartrate will be constant althroughout your flights, no more knees shaking.

You're extremely confident in your skills and know everytime you take her up, you can pick it up and bring it to the pits in one piece after a flight.

Your next heli is going to be your "TREAT!" for getting this far.

Since you already have your 2nd heli which is like your most comfortable pair of shoes, you can;

- get that Vigor CS, Fury Extreme, Hirobo Eagle. Choose what your heart desires, no need to ask anybody else since by now you don't need to (you know better) and you've done your own homework. You should be giving advice to flyers now.

- get the best flight pack known to man (top-of-the-line).

- Get that 9z or 10x you want, skip the 3rd heli.

For the builder/flyer - contemplate your first scale project. Learn to paint. Complete your tools. Use your first heli to practice on to hone your building skills. If you're successful, your 3rd heli should be your entry into scale flying/competition.

4th heli (1 year onwards)

Flyer/Builder - start considering not getting 4th heli, but improve existing fleet with those exotic engine/mufflers

Builder/Flyer - consider charging other flyers for your skills or build that petrol scaler that will be the envy of the field.

I hope this helps.. It's a work in progress, please feel free to put in your comments/violent objections... etc etc...
Old 02-28-2002, 05:09 AM
Greg Takacs

Default I beg to disagree.....

I'd recommend a 50 flavor of the new 30/50 models to start with. Startup cost is $150 more than a 30 size but the power will get you well into 3D, there is nothing that a 50 cannot do that a 60 can. Crash cost is almost the same as the 30 counterparts so it is still cheap to repair yet has a lot more safety net power in case of a messed up maneuver.
Autos a lot easier with a 50 size than a 30 size yet they are cheap if the auto does not go too well.

The way the market is ther eis not much point to get a 30 size machine unless money is really tight.

As far as radios go, why would you want a 9Z or a 10X? Again the 9C or the 8103 will do anything you'll need on a machine. If you want to show off, or you have to have the most expensive setup go and get a 10X! The best pilot at our field flies with an 8U Super and can do anythig.

If you want an expesive machine that you're worried to whack, go and get a Millie2, Vigor CS or Eagle. Otherwise get a Raptor 60, Fury 60 or a Freya.

And one more thing, I am a firm beleiver to get it right the first time so you don't end up buying a new heli every 6 months. If I'd have to buy 4 helis in 2 years I don't think I could afford this hobby.
Old 02-28-2002, 05:43 AM
manilaheli

replied on runryder... thanks greg
Old 02-28-2002, 09:20 AM
flmgrip
My Feedback: (2)

thanks for a nice post manilaheli.
greg: picking a 50 size for starter is good as well, just be a little more careful to get a good one. some of them are just "blown up" from 30 size and not really designed for a 50 size.
as for 10 SX i need it: 5 channels for basic controls, 1 for speed governor, 2 for gyro (HH and sensitivity), 1 for retacts, 1 for remote glow plug. that will make it 10 channels, so i do not really have much of a choice here...
and OF COURSE YOU DO NOT NEED IT, but I WANT IT. because it is fun. and i am sure not in this to show off (i am sure some are) i am more of a loner and avoid the crowds at the field. i barley ever fly at the weekends...
but that is just me.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:38 AM
1OKPacific

Just a newbie. Thanks muchly for your detailed advise. Its helped me reorganize where I should be looking. Have been doing the Blade MCX E-flite around my house and am looking for direction towards my next upgrade and purchase.