Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

1st Heli

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 08:42 PM
wally3185
My Feedback: (26)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st Heli

Thinking about getting into elec heli's, do not know where to start? I've been buliding and flying planes for 15 years. There are so many small elec heli's on the market, witch one's are good-bad or somewhere in between?
Old 07-26-2008, 10:14 PM
AZheli

Default RE: 1st Heli

Depending on your budget, skill level, dedication/desire, and need for a challenge, there are numerous options. Do you want to spend several hours in front of your PC practicing with a cartoon helicopter in order to develop sufficient zen to tackle a fixed pitch or collective pitch, OR do you want to dump a little heli outta the box, do some preliminary inspection and adjustments while waiting for the batteries to charge, then just go fly?

The E-Sky Honeybee Fixed Pitch is a classic & durable 4 channel heli that will present a challenge to master. Once you can successfully fly one, you will be able to fly almost anything.

Bigger is better, or so they say. 500 & 600 series helis are said to be easier to control. Nevertheless, the inevitable crash is more costly in time and spares to repair.

Flying for the Fixed Pitch - Challenged (like me) directed me towards the myriads of coaxial (contra-rotating blades) helis. The most popular is the Lama version 3 or 4. The cheaper v3 is actually more maneouverable than the newer & cooler-looking v4. Both are popular and proven performers, and have tons of part upgrades available, and With very little fly-time, you'll be able to fully control it. If it's too ordinary or lame looking, you can upgrade in a number of directions. You can go broke on the coaxials alone - you'll just have more to show for it

I started out with a collective pitch Walkera Eagle 50. I spent more bench time fixing it after minor mishaps trying to get airborne, then decided to simplify a little & get the Honeybee FP. It, too was a potential moneypit & I just didn't want to devote the concentration & discipline required to successfully fly & land it.

The coaxials are initially helicopters for dummies, but you can grab one, turn it on, yank it up into the air & fly until your thumbs hurt.

Take a look at these sites to give you more details on which direction you may want to pursue.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_481/tt.htm
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7311577/tm.htm
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7764476/tm.htm

I also have a Belt CP that I concluded, after reading around would be the best choice for collective pitch flight. I've had it out a couple of times & was able to briefly hover it, but was too chicken to actually risk crashing it just yet. It is back in the box, which currently serves as parking space for my squadron of coaxials.

Also, take a look at www.xheli.com They have a staggering array of all categories of helicopters, all with the manufacturer photos & descriptions, and often youtube videos. Look around and drool. For all the bigger & pricier helis, don't necessarily fall prey to the "Great flying outta da box" & "So simple to fly, even a caveman can do it", mfg testimonials. Ask around first in the forums for real life experience and opinions. Also, base decisions on parts cost & availability.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:37 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

First question...budget?
Old 07-27-2008, 07:10 PM
Druss

gotta agree budget is first... but if you're into the hobby with 15 planes then you're probably not worried too much about budget.

The best RTF heli would probably be the eflite blade 400. That said many people are still spending a lot of money upgrading them so going with a trex 450se v2 (which are quite cheap right now since the release of the trex 500) might not be a bad idea.

Do you have a radio with heli programming that you can use?
Old 07-28-2008, 06:49 PM
wally3185

Looking to spend 300 to 400 ? Just got a new JR 2.4 9303 aircraft radio, would that be ok for a 4 ch heli ?
Old 07-28-2008, 09:31 PM
Druss

Ya, the JR 9303 will handle anything you throw at it. For $300 to $400 though you're a little limited unless you buy used.

You've got the choice of starting out with a 300 size fixed pitch like the honey bee fp (already mentioned) or go to a 400-450 size electric like the esky belt cp or blackhawk 450... etc (there are tons of choices in the 450 size right now). It may come down to parts support, what does your local hobby store carry? You might be able to build a decent thunder tiger e325 for $400.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:41 PM
wally3185

Spent some time at local heli shop, and the Blade 400 seems to be a good compramize betiwn money and size. Still kinda nervous about the whole thing. Please someone tell my wife it will be OK!!!

Old 08-03-2008, 02:41 AM
Druss

Well, helis are pretty hard to learn and you'll definitely crash a few times before you really get flying. Suggest a sim and doing radds school of rotory flight. The only thing with the blade 400 is that it comes with a radio, you can probably sell the dx6i for $100 which you can then use on parts.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:51 AM
wally3185

I'm getting a plug n play and using my 2.4 9303. Have a sim on the way and will spend plenty of time on it. I've put a few airplanes in a dirt grave, I think some where suicide though, not my falt. As the saying go's If it where ez everyone would do it.Thanks to everyone for there input.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:27 PM
swanpondwv

I highly recommend the HeliPro Black Hawk 500 from Ka-planes.com. It is VERY stable. RTF and only $350.00 + shipping. I used training gear for a .30- .50 size heli. It is big! But it keeps the heli upright when first trying to land after a hover. The BH500 is so stable that hover is just a matter of spooling up and lifting off. Perfect for a begginer. Ka-Planes has a great rep and have been wonderful to deal with.
Bill