Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Beginner!! to the heli world

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Beginner!! to the heli world

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 10:01 AM
r\c justin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginner!! to the heli world

Hey guys was wondering about a heli i was thinking about buying one, have never had a heli what would be a good beginner, should i go ele or gas.. i have 4 nitros cars and trucks, what do yall think. what a good heli
Old 08-20-2008, 11:08 AM
Druss

Default RE: Beginner!! to the heli world

If you've never flown a heli before the easiest way to start is to get a good simulator and a co-axial heli.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:58 AM
r\c justin

where can i get a good simulator and what is a co-axial heli.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:47 PM
Crossfade
My Feedback: (1)

There are a few good sims out there, which one is the best i dunno since i don't have one, Clearview and RealFlight just to name a few, If you have a local hobby shop they will more then likely have at least one of the good sims.

co-axial heli

Alrite a co-axial heli is more geared toward the begginer and has a upper and a lower rotor which makes the co-axials very stable
The two best co-axial heli's that come to mind are the Eflite Blade CX2 or the Esky Lama V4

[link=http://www.helidirect.com/product_info.php?cPath=29_223&products_id=4672]Esky Lama V4[/link]
[link=http://www.helidirect.com/product_info.php?cPath=29_224&products_id=2361]Eflite Blade CX2[/link]

These helis are designed for indoor use, You can fly them outside but the least bit of wind would prolly be disasterous, atleast from my experince with em.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:39 AM
H. Wayne S
My Feedback: (18)

#1- Get a simulator!!! I got a G4 from Tower Hobies.
#2- Practice for 2 hours a day for 12 weeks, or however long it takes to feel like you can fly one and not crash every minute.
#3- Then buy a T-Rex 600Nitro Pro. combo.
The smaller they are the harder they are to fly,(I am speeking of electrics), so go ahead and get a good 50size.
I purchased a T-Rex 600NP three weeks ago and I am having a ball.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:32 PM
Druss

If he had $2000 to spend on his first heli I'd agree....
Old 08-21-2008, 02:31 PM
r\c justin

ha not trying to spend a whole lot of $$$... and really want a outside heli not indoors don't have the room
Old 08-21-2008, 02:45 PM
Druss

Maybe give us a budget that you have in mind. Keep in mind that $800 will get you a pretty good RC nitro 1/8 buggy but it will just get you started into a 450 size electric.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:48 PM
marg2

spend alot $$ on electric actually have 3 just got a nitro felt it lot stable been bigger an heavy for electrics go to the trex all other are so fragile that you will end buying so much parts for it a 2.99 with shipping will cost you 10 box find a hobby shop and see if there is one used nitro 50 for sale and if you can get the owners ph to explain it, the one that i bougth was on consession actually the old owner is helping me to fly it,that is a sweet deal for me, remever that old toys get boring and we move on there is a old toy to trill you as your new toy
Mar
Old 08-21-2008, 09:54 PM
Druss

omg... was that english?
Old 08-21-2008, 10:46 PM
r\c justin

i was thinking about 200 to 300, didn't really want to spend that much, but do want somthing that i can fly out side. and the G4 software is 199.99 so whats the point i could by heli with that.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:12 AM
Skarn

ORIGINAL: r\c justin

i was thinking about 200 to 300, didn't really want to spend that much, but do want somthing that i can fly out side. and the G4 software is 199.99 so whats the point i could by heli with that.
You aren't going to get much of a heli for only $200. With that said, yes you could get a cheap RTF heli for that, but then without the simulator, you'd crash it WAY more often be very frustrated and end up spending more money in the long run. So really, that's the point....save up until you can get both a sim and a decent heli.

Hey, this is NOT a cheap hobby!

Skarn
Old 08-22-2008, 08:10 AM
r\c justin

yea i have spend like 2500 on my 4 nitros cars and trucks haha.. maybe i should go with a boat or something along that line
Old 08-22-2008, 11:27 AM
Druss

Just as note, my Trex 600N Pro built ready to fly (not including the radio) cost about $2500 so beware if you decide to pursue helis seriously. Helis are by far the most expensive hobby grade RC available (that I know of) due to the parts construction, complexity and electronics requirements.

There are some seriously cheap helis out there (sub $200) but most aren't worth the materials they're made out of.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:15 PM
r\c justin

yea i been looking around, everything thats nice is from 500 and keeps going up haha maybe its not for me i would love to try to fly one but damn if its going to be that costly forget it then hahah
Old 08-22-2008, 06:28 PM
marg2

well I thank tomorrow i will very carefully not to wreck it, just find out if one of my blades breack will be a 100 box damage blade balancer etc hey guys any good eal on a field tote that you recomend website?
Old 08-22-2008, 09:15 PM
MacPatton

I too am a nitro rc truck/buggy guy who is just getting started getting off the ground. Here is the plan I came up with Justin and so far has been fun. For about 180 bucks I got the Blade cx2 coaxial. Yes it is meant to be flown inside but works just fine outside in very low wind conditions. Once I master this little bugger I am going to get a Blade 400 3D which runs about 480 bucks and comes with a pretty nice Spektrum radio. From there I am going to bug the hell out of the people here that know what they are talking about as far as nice nitro helis go. The previous 2 I mentioned are electrics.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:12 PM
Druss

That's not a bad path to take but I really recommend a sim in there too. A lot of people seem to think that a sim is only good for learning when you're a beginner... believe me you don't want to try your first tic toc on your real heli, or your first hurricane... etc. Sims are great for learning the muscle memory for advanced moves too. I also practice my auto's on the sim.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:30 PM
Crossfade
My Feedback: (1)

LMAO @ Post 9 and 16,

Ease up on the crack pipe

or should i say

epip kcarc eht no pu esaE
Old 09-12-2008, 10:52 PM
bloftin
My Feedback: (-1)

Maybe his key board is upside down, you know "going inverted".
Old 09-12-2008, 11:24 PM
MaxAdventure
My Feedback: (7)

there are cheaper sims. I've been using Realflight G3.5, but I'm trying to get an adapter/drivers for FMS which is free http://n.ethz.ch/student/mmoeller/fms/index_e.html , Clearview is very inexpensive: http://www.tucows.com/preview/419730 . That said, what I've read I'd gather Phoenix is the highest rated sim. The sim will allow you to get the hang of things, then work on specific skills well into advanced flying. I started without one, I'm really glad I have one now.

after that, iI'd suggest saving some coin and going for something used. I don't care if you want to try some cheap and cheesy coax dual rotor, a hot trex 450 or a larger 600mm size nitro. If you start with a used machine it may cut your costs in half. If you don't like, turn around and sell it. You'll mostly likely get close to what you paid. I've even seen used deals that include the sim. Just be sure to tear it down and look for issues before you fly.

You have nitro cars, haven't said if you are more interested in electric or nitro. I'd say a nitro heli is easier to tune than a hot 1/8th scale. Boats are pretty bad ass too, but again it depends on what you want. You can drop $1200 into a basic gas boat that would be fun, but you could do a nitro heli for that too.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:34 PM
beaglegod

As far as a sim is concerned what about FSoNE from hangar 9, it comes with radio remote for 100 dollars. I heard it used to be over 200 bucks not too long ago.