Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Thunder Tiger Innovator

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 01:30 PM
simplyraptor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thunder Tiger Innovator

Came across this on Youtube, looks like a collective pitch helicopter and judging by the way they are pushing it with their hands a very stable machine.

Would make a good helicopter for someone just starting this hobby!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCofvvMLgAw

Just seen this runryder thread, this machine does not appear to be very highly rated!!!

http://www.runryder.com/helicopter/t446520p3/
Old 09-11-2008, 02:10 PM
Druss

Default RE: Thunder Tiger Innovator

The latest RCHeli issue had a small article on it, it's supposed to be for beginners, comes with a 4 in 1 instead of discrete units like receiver, gyro... etc. It also comes with foam blades with rubber leading edges.

From what I read of it it looks like it's a 450 size hirobo quark, probably pretty cheap as it uses a 4 in 1. Probably pretty stable due to it's larger size. As an entry level heli it's probably a very good one but on the pricey side, then again the quark is over $300.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:27 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

I saw them at IRCHA, neat little heli though I didn't get to fly one.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:07 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: simplyraptor
Just seen this runryder thread, this machine does not appear to be very highly rated!!!
http://www.runryder.com/helicopter/t446520p3/
Being a veteran at RunRyder, I can tell you that those guys over there do not see the mini/micro helis favorably. The average crowd there owns a 50 or bigger. Most of us still own the smaller stuff, but the conversations concentrates on the bigger ones. Additionally, if the components are not "replaceable" and "discreet" it will not sit right with that crowd either. Just look at the Radio Shack RC equipment, it has a board that controls everything. That is the mentality there. If it has a 4-1 or whatever, is not looked as a hobby grade heli, but just as a toy that could be sold at Radio Shack.

Rafael
Old 09-12-2008, 03:39 PM
simplyraptor

Being a veteran at RunRyder, I can tell you that those guys over there do not see the mini/micro helis favorably. The average crowd there owns a 50 or bigger. Most of us still own the smaller stuff, but the conversations concentrates on the bigger ones. Additionally, if the components are not "replaceable" and "discreet" it will not sit right with that crowd either. Just look at the Radio Shack RC equipment, it has a board that controls everything. That is the mentality there. If it has a 4-1 or whatever, is not looked as a hobby grade heli, but just as a toy that could be sold at Radio Shack.

Rafael
I know what you mean, they seem to forget the people that are starting this hobby.

The Innovator looks like a cross between the stabilility of a co-ax heli and a collective pitch 450 class heli, seems like a good idea to me! I see so many people give up when they move from a Blade cx2 to a Trex 450, this machine seems to fill the gap between the two.

Lets hope that the replacement parts are affordable as well.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:38 AM
Druss

I think the innovator might fill the gap between the cx2 and trex450 in terms of cost but I'm still not sure how it could be much more stable than any other 450. the stability is mostly a factor of rotor disk size isn't it? One of the reasons that smaller helis like the gaui 200 are so hard to fly.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:04 AM
simplyraptor

You are right it is down to the size of the rotor disc, what I meant to to say is that in the video it appears to have some type of co-pilot/helicommand system fitted,giving it the stability of a coax heli.

So it looks as though its and plug in and play 450 with a helicommand system fitted.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:18 AM
harleymhs

Ibought a Innovator last weekend, and charged it up, all seems ok, then Iwanted to charge the SPAREbattery Ibought and it will not start the charging cycle.. Has anyone else had the same issue? When I put it in the charger the red light blinks and makes a continuos beeping noise. My guess the NEWspare battery is a dud. Anyone else have the same issues or a way to fix this? Any help would be great!thanks!!
Old 06-12-2009, 09:59 AM
ea01bg

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO I think part of the problem is the idea that you go from a CX2 to a 450. I made the mistake myself  but got a 550 soon and had a much easier time of it. Pre electric everyone started on larger helis.

Once you “learn” how to fly the Innovator you still won’t know how to fly an RC Heli.  If they can reach out and push the thing around with their hand then you can bet that the stabilization package is doing most of the flying for you.    

Old 06-12-2009, 11:22 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I love how they are all wearing Innovator shirts and hats....  I guess the toy heli buisness is doing good....
Old 07-08-2009, 11:48 AM
Stumblebee

ORIGINAL: harleymhs

Ibought a Innovator last weekend, and charged it up, all seems ok, then Iwanted to charge the SPAREbattery Ibought and it will not start the charging cycle.. Has anyone else had the same issue? When I put it in the charger the red light blinks and makes a continuos beeping noise. My guess the NEWspare battery is a dud. Anyone else have the same issues or a way to fix this? Any help would be great!thanks!!
Since it appears that you are the only one in this thread that states they actually own one of these, here is the key question. How does it fly? Very curious minds want to know.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:38 PM
harleymhs

I have own one, they FLY great, I actually changed the look from the Bell MD body to the Raptor looking body! Heliproz has everything in stock for these helis! They are great over there and VERY HELPFUL! As fr as the people in ACE HOBBY you are better off dealing with the DEVIL himself! Bought a spare battery for the heli and it was DOA out of the box and wouldnt take a charge, by the time they got it back, took a week to LOOK at it then sent it back to me it took forever! They are nasty as well, tried to get a tracking # for the battery and it was like pulling teeth! Other than ACE being NASTy the Innovator is a great heli to grow into! Hope this helps!
Old 07-08-2009, 10:24 PM
Stumblebee

ORIGINAL: harleymhs

I have own one, they FLY great, I actually changed the look from the Bell MD body to the Raptor looking body! Heliproz has everything in stock for these helis! They are great over there and VERY HELPFUL! As fr as the people in ACE HOBBY you are better off dealing with the DEVIL himself! Bought a spare battery for the heli and it was DOA out of the box and wouldnt take a charge, by the time they got it back, took a week to LOOK at it then sent it back to me it took forever! They are nasty as well, tried to get a tracking # for the battery and it was like pulling teeth! Other than ACE being NASTy the Innovator is a great heli to grow into! Hope this helps!
A few things bother me about this machine.Yours is the second comment I have read about DOA batteries and these batteries are not cheap. They do not seem to have a very extensive supporting dealer network which can mean problems in the parts supply chain and with service delivery. From what I have read, everything is custom built for this machine which means limited if any after market support. I went to the Heliproz site and I found it "challenging" to navigate. Just for the heck of it, I went to the motions of attempting to actually purchase this machine on line and there was no way I could find to do it from the web page. I also could not find any on-line listing of parts for this machine on the web site. There are a few too many "red flags" on this machine at the moment.