Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Any Kinetic 50 Flyers out there?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Any Kinetic 50 Flyers out there?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 10:27 AM
SharpProp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Kinetic 50 Flyers out there?

Hello All. I have a few questions about this bird.
I must have been really been good last year because my mother bought me an O.S. 50 hyper engine, 401 gyro, and this kinetic 50.
(I'm 26 years old...lol) She got some advice from the LHS. I wish she wouldn't have done all this cause I really had my eye on a raptor. But Im definitely not going to complain about my free heli. Plus I figure this will be good to learn on and I can transfer the gear later. it looks like a pretty good heli, but my experience goes as far as hovering a kyosho concept 30 that stripped its main gear a couple of months ago. I got that one from a local club member that found it on his door step and he didn't want it.
Anyway,
1. do you like the heli?
2. will this be a good heli to learn on?
3. any tips as far as setup?
Also, I have this bird pretty much set up and I noticed that the ball that is on the collective pitch arm ( the one the servo linkage connects to) is loose. it wiggles a little allowing for slop. I looked at the back of the arm to see if this ball needed a nut to tighten it down, but I didn't find one. I tried unscrewing it out, but it wouldn't come. I tried screwing it in to tighten it but it just spun. Not really sure how it's held in there, but the slop bothered me, so I soldered it in. Any opinions on this? Its pretty solid now but I was thinking that vibration might eventually cause the solder to brake. Not sure though. I guess I'll keep my eyes on it. Even if it does give I don't think that the ball will come out. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. THANKS!
Old 01-12-2009, 04:27 PM
Druff1

Default RE: Any Kinetic 50 Flyers out there?

I just got the same heli for xmas. I have it all together and ready to maiden. Just waiting on some good weather. From what i've read about the K50, everyone says its a pretty good beginner heli. I've found some good info on Helifreak.com about them. You might want to check them out. Look under Century Heli sections because they are pretty much a Century Hawk.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:04 PM
SharpProp

cool thanks. was the link on your collective pitch arm a little loose?
Old 01-12-2009, 09:28 PM
Druff1

Not at all.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:59 AM
SharpProp

can you tell me if there is a nut on the back of the arm holding the ball in. or is the arm itself threaded. I'm thinking my soldering job should hold up fine....but i just want to be sure that a nut isn't missing or something. thanks!
Old 01-13-2009, 01:15 PM
techrtr

I have a Kinetic 50 and think it is an excellent heli for the price. Flies really nicely. Super stable. Make sure you go through all of the factory mounted fasteners (especially the grub screws on the torque tube assembly) and make sure they are loctited. They can work loose and if you lose the tail, you have a bit of a problem.

The only thing I don't like about the heli is it's a pain to remove the top part of the main frame to get access to the engine. I replaced the stock cooling fan and hex start assembly with an aluminum one equiped with a one way bearing. Works very well.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:06 PM
Druff1

Not sure which ball link you were talking about so i took some pics. Hopefully this helps.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90360.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	1110417   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg15252.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	1110418   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej13759.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	1110419   Click image for larger version

Name:	At55238.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	1110420   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hs96000.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	1110421  
Old 01-14-2009, 11:25 AM
SharpProp

its in your first picture. above the muffler next to the fan shroud. the pitch servo links to that metal arm. on that arm is the ball that is loose on mine. just wondering if there is supposed to be a nut on the back side of that metal arm holding the ball tight. thanks for the pics that helps clear things up a bit
Old 01-14-2009, 11:52 AM
Druff1

There is no nut on mine, but it is threaded.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:21 PM
SharpProp

hmmm. is the arm threaded? I'm trying to figure out what is holding it in place. Maybe some strong glue or something. Maybe mine is stripped.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:41 PM
Druff1

Yes the arm is threaded. The threads on the ball are sticking out about 1/16".
Old 01-14-2009, 12:56 PM
SharpProp

well then I have something stripped. Mine spins in the arm. It wont come out but it won't tighten either. I've soldered it and I think that should hold up fine. Thanks for your help. Now I just need some warm weather to fly this beast.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:02 PM
Druff1

I'm right with you on the weather. This snow is killing me. Not only for flying but i work outside also, so this cold and snow puts a damper on things.

Do you have any other heli's?
Old 01-14-2009, 02:29 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Remove the screw and put a longer one in that you can put at least one nut on. You do not want that coming loose in flight. Use loctite, check every metal on metal threaded fastner. Even if it came preassembled take it apart and reassemble it with loctite. You should do this on any helo.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:46 PM
SharpProp

The only other Heli I had was an old kyosho concept 30. An old guy at the field found it on his door step one day after flying. He didn't care to fly a heli so he offered it up and I took it. It had a bent tail boom, and a gunked up os 30 engine. Since I couldn't find parts I frankesteined some other parts from similar helis and I got it hovering a few times. One of the last nice flying days in november I took it out and I was trying to tune the engine a little. The low end was rich and it was spitting a little in a hover. I was being impatient and I started the engine while it was set at half throttle. The engine reved and I could hear my clutch screaming, In half a second I reached for my radio but it was too late, the clutch grabbed and stripped the main gear. I was heart broken as I was just starting to not pucker so much when hovering....but I learned a valuable lesson on a heli that cost me next to nothing. So for that I am thankful.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:24 AM
rotordoc

SharpProp

The collective arm in most applications can be the most stressed on a heli, and the vibes of a heli, relative to an airplane is far more, so please do not use it as it is.

Get a set of these ball joints and install one using a 3mm locknut or standard nut with locktight.

http://www.heli-world.com/detail.aspx?ID=3355
Old 01-22-2009, 11:12 AM
Red Baron Gary
My Feedback: (59)

Where can I locate the aluminum cooling fan and the one way start bearnig for the Kinetic 50? Tchrtr mentioned it, who sells them?
tnx,
Gary
Old 01-22-2009, 05:25 PM
Druff1

Tower Hobbies
Old 01-22-2009, 05:30 PM
Red Baron Gary
My Feedback: (59)

tnx. (Never occured to me to look there.)
[8D]Gary