Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

After Run Oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2003, 03:24 PM
DjScratchABeat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After Run Oil

Hey Hey Peep's.. Hows everyone doing.....

Just a quickie.. I was woundering if a Caliber 30 Engine would run If I were to fill the sump / Bottom end with after run Oil and run the helli on Pure Nitro Mix ? Obviousley I would top the bottom end up with after run oil after each tank.... The reason Im looking @ This Idea is to try to increase running time..... The thoery says that it may work...maybee it would run too hot ?? Anyone out there ever tried it ? Would love to hear what happened..if not..I'll let ya know how long it takes to blow the Engine

Thanx for reading
Scratchie Out
Old 06-07-2003, 08:32 PM
alvin1

Default NOOOOOOOOO!

whatever you do,do not proceed any furthar with this idea! it will not work and is GUARENTEED to seize up the engine in seconds[thats if you ever get it started in the first place] if you want longer run times then put a header tank on the heli so that you can run the main tank dry and optimize your fuel mixture so that the heli is not running excessively rich[because if its excessively rich it will gobble fuel up at the rate of knots]
Old 06-08-2003, 03:43 PM
davidj

Default After Run Oil

As is the C30 has a large tank and I get 15 min flights with mine. After run oil is just that, you use it to oil the engine after you run it. When the bottom of the engine is filled with any fluid it will not be able to rotate because the fluid will not compress.
Old 06-08-2003, 05:41 PM
Galifrey

Default After Run Oil

firstly a two stroke engine doesnt not have a "sump" as you call it....

it has a crank case which is used for primary compression and all fual/air mix MUST pass through this so filling it with oil would just cause an instant hydraulic lock...

Secondly, nitromethane isnt itself a proper fuel it is an oxidising agent to allow you to burn more methanol, (like NOS).... if you dont have any proper fuel to burn the only thing that will oxidise is your engine

I suggest you do some reaserch on how glow engines work if you want to work out how to get longer runs from a tank of fuel, but a start would be 5% nitro not 100% nitro....

Old 06-09-2003, 06:30 PM
DjScratchABeat

Default After Run Oil

Yes,Yes thanx for your help there people... This is what the forums all about right ?? Learn from other peoples mistakes or people that know more about the subject than you.. Im greatful for all of your replies and the Idea about the header tank sounds great... I mean.. If I could set 2 tanks of fuel to work along side eachother that'ld be great.. but how ?? I spose the second tank would have to sit abother the main tank or the tank feeding the carb right ?? Would the .30 Engine be able to tug a nother tank of fuel around ?? Help uz out peeps Thanx again
Old 06-09-2003, 08:40 PM
Galifrey

Default After Run Oil

I will get some typing lessons to keep you happy....

next time I wont bother explaining how things work for you....

If you notice I used the word fuel several times one was a typo....

Perhaps you need some diplomacy lessons

Replying to people like that you wont get any future help....

In fact I aint even gonna bother with your last question....

Old 06-09-2003, 11:05 PM
flmgrip
My Feedback: (2)

Default After Run Oil

what's the big deal about landing and refueling ?
Old 06-10-2003, 06:09 PM
Galifrey

Default After Run Oil

Feel free to point it out to me at 3dmasters....

DJSAB you have a PM

Old 06-10-2003, 06:25 PM
DustOffUH1
My Feedback: (2)

Default Hey DJ

These people were just trying to help you out. You're the one that needs a smack in the chops,,,, better yet you just need some common courtesy. It's very obvious that Galifrey knows a great deal about RC helicopters, and I think you just blew your chance for future help in this forum. I know I wouldn't help you. You're just an ungrateful smart ***.
Joe
PS I hope everything was spelled correctly Mr. English Teacher,,,,,
Old 06-11-2003, 07:14 AM
w.pasman

Default After Run Oil

The more nitro the SHORTER your run will be because more nitro requires the needle to be opened further. It also seems you dont want to put in oil (afterrun oil is NOT a good substitute). Yes using no oil might allow you to put the needles leaner but I guess your engine will not last even a single tank
Old 06-18-2003, 03:17 PM
zaremba

Default After Run Oil

Oh yes.. And GaliFrey ?? I think you'll find Fuel is how Fual is spelt... Get some English lessons
Just my two shillings from this side of the pond, DJ Scratch A Beat:

That comment was unwarranted, inappropriate, and came from seemingly nowhere.

The fact that he made a typo isn't even worthy of being justified.

I did chuckle at the "smack in the chops" comment, imagining someone with a thick British accent saying it...

Perhaps it's a cultural thing, but you're both from the UK, so I can't figure it out. Usually I see that type of accident happening between Brits and Yanks.

Even though we both speak English, there is quite a bit of misinterpretation that is possible.

Also, the "smileys" in his post should have convinced you that he was being jovial and not condescending.

Let's keep it civil, please.

Take care,
Paul