Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Channel Changing

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 02:48 PM
TCrafty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Channel Changing

I purchased an AXE CPv3 and it turns out that the channels are screwed up. The left stick controls the pitch of the heli and the right stick controls the elevation. I called and spoke to Lennie at Tower (where I bought it) and he said that the receiver must be screwed up. He offered to send one but, I was wondering, I have a Futaba 7C and an Electron 6 receiver here. Can I use that receiver so that I could use my 7C in the heli?

This is my first heli by the way.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:07 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Channel Changing

ORIGINAL: TCrafty

I purchased an AXE CPv3 and it turns out that the channels are screwed up. The left stick controls the pitch of the heli and the right stick controls the elevation. I called and spoke to Lennie at Tower (where I bought it) and he said that the receiver must be screwed up. He offered to send one but, I was wondering, I have a Futaba 7C and an Electron 6 receiver here. Can I use that receiver so that I could use my 7C in the heli?

This is my first heli by the way.

Be a little more specific. Are you saying that the left stick controls the nose-up and nose-down attitude and the right stick controls the collective pitch making the heli ascend and descend vertically?

I do not know the compatibility of the Futaba radio with the Electron 6 receiver. If you are sure will they talk to each other, and you can plug in the servos from your Axe into the receiver, I do not see that It could not work. I'm assuming that the radio is heli software capable and that you know how to program the radio to get the desired results.

Rafael
Old 08-13-2009, 03:53 PM
gnd2

Which stick has the spring to keep it centered up and down? If the left stick has the spring and the right stick stays wherever you position it vertically, it sounds like you may have gotten a mode 1 TX instead of a mode 2 TX by mistake.

If the right stick is sprung, you may just a have a servo reversed (switches on the lower right of the TX) or some servos may be plugged into the wrong channel of the RX.

I set up my Blade CP (very similar to the Axe) with a DX7 and it flew much better. I would try to figure out exactly what is wrong first but like Rafael said, assuming the 7C and Electron 6 are compatible it should be possible. You basically just separate the stock RX from the ESC/gyro/mixer and replace it with your own receiver. But if you've never set up a heli before it will be difficult without experienced assistance. If you can find info related to the Blade you should be able to apply most of that to the Axe as well. Some of the details will be different but the principles are the same.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:02 PM
TCrafty

Sorry, I'll be more specific. The left stick stays wherever you put it. And, when the throttle hold lever is not activated, moving the left stick makes the rotor blades start to move (the more you push the stick up, the faster they move.) AND it makes the nose of the heli pitch down. When the throttle hold lever is activated, it only makes the nose pitch downward. If I wanted to make the heli go straight up, I would have to use the right stick (push forward). But, if I want to make the tail of the heli move, I still would use the left stick (Push sideways to the direction I want it to go). If I want to make the entire heli move sideways, I need to use the right stick (push to the direction that I want to go). So it seems that the left/right motion of the sticks is correct while the actions of the fore/aft motion of the sticks is reversed. It's like the left/right is one mode (Mode one?)while the fore/aft is another mode. (Mode two?)

They sent me another transmitter and it still does the same thing. That's why lenny said it must be in the receiver. I figured if I had to change out the receiver, I might as well use my 7 CAP with a receiver that I have laying around. I've done some reading of the manual and the 7Cap has programming for helis and the receiver works with the 7Cap. This IS my first heli so the set up will be trial and error. Hopefully not too big of an error.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:27 PM
Gorgok

Strange, if it was mechanical mix i would say you have the elevator and collective servos plugged into the others slot. But with eCCPM it is not that simple. Still, you obviously do get the mixing for the eCCPM but the channels are not quite right for all the movements. First off you can eliminate the throttle and rudder channels on the RX. That leaves the 3 channels on the RX and 3 servos for the 120 eCCPM. How many combinations does that leave? Trial and error it from there...

Old 08-14-2009, 05:34 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

...The left stick stays wherever you put it. And, when the throttle hold lever is not activated, moving the left stick makes the rotor blades start to move (the more you push the stick up, the faster they move.) AND it makes the nose of the heli pitch down. When the throttle hold lever is activated, it only makes the nose pitch downward. If I wanted to make the heli go straight up, I would have to use the right stick (push forward). .......
As stated before, your collective pitch function and the elevator (fore-aft cyclic) function are swapped. I have zero experience with the radio of the AXE, So I can't help you there.

Is that radio programmable?

I think there are two possibilities here:
1. two of the three servos on the swashplate could be plugged into the wrong spot. Swapping the leads and checking the programming on the radio should solve the problem
2. In fact the receiver could be bad, and need replacing.

Rafael

Old 08-14-2009, 08:56 PM
TCrafty

I went through all of the connections on the Rx by myself and with Lenny. We both agreed that it is indeed wired correctly. As stated, I'm new to helis so I'm still learning the terms. Seeing as how the three servos work in unison with each other to move the swashplate, it seemed to me that the wiring would only be able to be changed by moving the pins on the servos. I'm not sure that I want to go there yet. My main thought was to try and switch to the 7C so that I would have a programmable Tx. The original one is not programmable in any way. I appreciate everyone's input. I'm going away on a marathon trip and wont be back until after Labor day. I'll try investigating more when I return.

Thanks to all!

Old 08-15-2009, 01:00 AM
Gorgok

Thinking more clearly, you are correct. It shouldn't matter where the servos are plugged in for your problem, as they all move in the same direction on the collective. Even if they were all wrong, they would all move, and not result in your problem. Your problem comes from the forward servo running in reverse. When you push collective up (left stick up) the two back servos go up, the front goes down. When you push up on the elevator (right stick up) the front servo should go down, the back ones up, but they all go up. Again the front one is running backwards.

Can you flip a switch on the TX to reverse a servo? If not i guess you could turn the servo horn 180 degrees. Or flip the servo around.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:07 PM
groundparrot

Chech the switches in the Tx. The one I have is AIL down, Ele up, Thr down, Rud up.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:37 PM
TCrafty

Thanks guys. I'm out of the state right now but when I get back in town, I'll check things over a little more closely according to what you've written.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:24 AM
TCrafty

ORIGINAL: Gorgok

Thinking more clearly, you are correct. It shouldn't matter where the servos are plugged in for your problem, as they all move in the same direction on the collective. Even if they were all wrong, they would all move, and not result in your problem. Your problem comes from the forward servo running in reverse. When you push collective up (left stick up) the two back servos go up, the front goes down. When you push up on the elevator (right stick up) the front servo should go down, the back ones up, but they all go up. Again the front one is running backwards.

Can you flip a switch on the TX to reverse a servo? If not i guess you could turn the servo horn 180 degrees. Or flip the servo around.
Gorgok,

I did that, and it did indeed fix the stix.

But now, the tail rotor motor kicks on when I pull the left stick down and shuts off when I push the left stick forward. It appears that the other two servos were wrong and if I could switch THEM and put the front servo back in its original position, everything would work fine. Problem is, I can't swap the two rear servos like I could the front. If I reverse the throttle switch, then my collective is incorrect but the tail rotor works properly. I'm thinking of trying a receiver that I've got here already. My question is, does the power to the receiver go through a resistor so that it doesn't get the full 11.1 volts from the 3s battery? I don't want to burn up a good receiver.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:24 PM
Gorgok

It depends on the gear really. If the ESC has a BEC circuit then it will power the receiver by lowering the main pack voltage and feeding it down the line. But some don't, and then they would require a separate battery or a stand alone BEC circuit to drop the main pack voltage to the receiver.

The throttle and tail flipping on the TX sounds pretty strange... I assume you had the motor unplugged, so you haven't tested which way the throttle is moved when the tail is left stick up/down.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:23 AM
TCrafty

I have tested it with the motor connected and as it is currently set up, when the rotor blades are spining (throttle lever up) the tail rotor is not and when the rotor is not spinning (throttle lever down) the rotor blades ARE spinning. If I reverse the throttle switch on the Tx, everything reverses. The tail rotor works when it should but the main rotor doesn't. IF I were to use the throttle up switch, an experienced pilot might be able to fly it since the main rotor would spin no matter where the left stick is positioned. I'm not about to try that though.

I'm in an airport in Indianapolis right now but I should get a chance to study things a little more once I get home. I think that if I have a good chance to sit down and study what is going on, I should be able to figure something out, or at least see what is causing it.

thanks for the input so far, it's been a steep learning curve on these helicopters so far but, it's been good.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:28 PM
Gorgok

So does the spinning of the tail slow as the main rotor speeds up? Also, does it slow when you turn the heli (to make the gyro try to counter it)? Maybe the tail rotor control is just backwards (on the TX or the gyro). At full throttle the tail should be working harder than partial throttle as the head speed increases, if its going from fast to slow as the head speeds up then that is backwards. Also when you turn the heli clockwise the tail should speed up (to counter the clockwise turn). If it slows down at that point then the gyro is reversed.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:36 PM
PilotLight
My Feedback: (1)

If I reverse the throttle switch, then my collective is incorrect but the tail rotor works properly.
This is where you want to be. Just remember the swashplate moves down with an increase in throttle. You have to connect the links to the trailing edge of the main blades. Lots of guys here get this reversed. (because the exploded diagram was wrong) Just flip your blade grips 180 degrees and you're good to go.

Does the swashplate move down as throttle is increased? Does the main motor increase with increase in throttle? Does tail motor increase?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79550.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	1396865