Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Fixed pitched large glow heli's??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Fixed pitched large glow heli's??

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 09:58 PM
SunnyFlyer09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixed pitched large glow heli's??

I'm curious. Does anyone still manufacture old school fixed pitch helis that are .30 size or larger?
Old 03-23-2010, 10:11 PM
john josey

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Fixed pitched large glow heli's??

ORIGINAL: SunnyFlyer09

I'm curious. Does anyone still manufacture old school fixed pitch helis that are .30 size or larger?
I wouldent of thought so. Do you have experience of one of these in the past ?

Any one that i ever flew was a bit of a handfull.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:14 PM
SunnyFlyer09

The only one I ever flew was the lite machines .049 glow fixed pitch
Old 03-23-2010, 10:30 PM
john josey

I didn`t even know they existed at that size. How many years ago was this ?
Old 03-24-2010, 04:14 AM
Charlie

Mine had a Norvel .61 (if I remember right). [link=http://litemachines.com/model_main.swf]LiteMachines[/link]

Old 03-24-2010, 08:12 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just one question: WHY?

Rafael
Old 03-24-2010, 10:14 AM
SunnyFlyer09

ORIGINAL: Rafael23cc

Just one question: WHY?

Rafael
no help
Old 03-24-2010, 11:14 AM
Rafael23cc

no help
I'm just trying to figure out why do you want to go thru that type of frustration. Fixed pitch is fine for little electrics and "throw away" toys. The last fixed pitch nitro heli that I remember is the Sport 500 sold by Hobby Lobby. It used a 40 sized airplane engine, and they claimed that you did not need a heli radio. I had the collective pitch version, did not fall for the "marketing hipe" of cheaper cost.

Do a search on Yo-Yo effect, and the problems of trying to use fixed pitch with an Internal Combustion Engine, where the power is not as instantaneus as in electric motors.

Helpful enough now?

Rafael
Old 03-24-2010, 01:55 PM
SunnyFlyer09

no help
I'm just trying to figure out why do you want to go thru that type of frustration. Fixed pitch is fine for little electrics and ''throw away'' toys. The last fixed pitch nitro heli that I remember is the Sport 500 sold by Hobby Lobby. It used a 40 sized airplane engine, and they claimed that you did not need a heli radio. I had the collective pitch version, did not fall for the ''marketing hipe'' of cheaper cost.

Do a search on Yo-Yo effect, and the problems of trying to use fixed pitch with an Internal Combustion Engine, where the power is not as instantaneus as in electric motors.

Helpful enough now?

Rafael
no, no help
Old 03-24-2010, 02:55 PM
john josey

.049 glow fixed pitch
Do you mean .49 size engine ?

Most of the ones i had attemted to fly was the MFA sport 500 already mentioned, the others were the zenith and micro mold lark 25.

Unless you had the engine bordering on being to lean, you couldend get near the response you needed to stop the yo yo effect. It also had this uncontrolable wobble that would set in after a few minutes hovering. I never attemted any circuts with any of them.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:13 PM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In the late around 1980 give or take 3 years I owned and attempted to fly a GMP Cricket with a Cox Sanwa 4 channel AM radio, a cox/sanwa gyro (I think) and a 0.32 to 0.36 Enya (I think) two stroke.

I did achieve stable hover on a couple of occations be tween breaking blades and bending tail booms.

I would like to have tried to fly the little green thing with today's modern radios and gyros. I think it would have been a viable training heli.

I've also owned 2 Light Machines LMH-110+s and a single Corona's. I got much better flying them after 3 months of simulator time, than in all the time I spend attempting and crashing since the 80's.

When I used to fly the LMH 110+ (Norvell 0.061) the reaction from most spectators and other higer end collective machines was "THAT'S FIXED PITCH!" Most folks who have never flown an LMH with a GOOD Novell will tell you they are all a POS. In reality, even with the mechanical ARLON gyro, they were pretty decent entry level flyers. They filled a fantastic nitch in the earlier training line up.

They got poo poo'd out of existance by folks who wanted $800 worth of performance out of a $125 helicopter.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:31 PM
Rafael23cc

no, no help
Help yourself, answer my original question WHY?

Note the trend of the posts just below mine. There are no new fixed pitch helis bigger than the toy electrics. And there is a reason for it. The last one spotted was back around 1995 and it was the Sport 500.

When you answer my question of WHY are you interested in them, we might be able to understand your question better. Answering No help, does not help me help you. I will stop guessing then.

Good luck.

Rafael
Old 03-24-2010, 03:34 PM
Rafael23cc

ORIGINAL: john josey

.049 glow fixed pitch
John:

The Lite Machines helis were the mini helis of the time. They really flew on .049 and .061 engines. Charlie has the decimal point in the wrong location.

Rafael
Old 03-24-2010, 03:54 PM
john josey

.049 glow fixed pitch
John:

The Lite Machines helis were the mini helis of the time. They really flew on .049 and .061 engines. Charlie has the decimal point in the wrong location.

Rafael
When was this ? i really dont remember anything this small, that said there is a lot of stuff we didn`t get over here in the UK.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:01 PM
Rafael23cc

When was this ? i really dont remember anything this small, that said there is a lot of stuff we didn`t get over here in the UK.
The lite machines started in the mid 90's if I remember correctly. Apparently then have not gone away, just visited the website provided by Charley and seems they are still around. Now they use the .070 engine.

[link]http://litemachines.com/model_main.swf[/link]

Rafael
Old 03-24-2010, 05:33 PM
Charlie

Apparently then have not gone away, just visited the website provided by Charley and seems they are still around. Now they use the .070 engine.
Their web site is still going but they have been discontinued, you can't even get parts anymore.

It's ashame to because they were a fun little heli to fly, they were tough as nails, you could crash them, pick them up and flip them over and go fly some more. They were
a little temperamental in the worm weather but other then that they were a great little heli.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:36 PM
john josey

The lite machines started in the mid 90's if I remember correctly. Apparently then have not gone away, just visited the website provided by Charley and seems they are still around. Now they use the .070 engine.

[link]http://litemachines.com/model_main.swf[/link]

Rafael
Fantastic thanks for posting the link.

john
Old 04-02-2010, 10:32 AM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think about a year ago one of the German manufacturers was either bringing out an LMH clone or they had the rights to production of at least the Corrona.

Found it! It is the Multiplex funcopter

http://www.zerorc.com/multiplex-funcopter-announced

http://www.multiplexusa.com/models/r...pter_-_rr.html
Old 04-02-2010, 05:46 PM
cenracer1

I still have one of the LMH 110 myself and its a great flyer... I can't answer why sunnyflyer09 wants to fly a FP nitro, but I can answer for myself.. They are easy to fly and easy to fix.. You don't have to spend nearly as much time on setup as the CP ones.. I fly both so I can answer from at least my own experience... Mine has the Norvel .061 engine and contrary to what others have said in other threads, the engine works fine.. I have no trouble starting or running in cold weather or warm weather... The engine has more than enough power for stable hovers and decent climbing and FF... It was never intended for anything advanced..
The LMH website is still up, but they don't manufacture anymore.. they went into the defense contract business like alot of other companies.. I guess the government is willing to pay more than we are... Here is a picture of mine... next to my Walkera 4#3B for size purposes.. The 110 is about the same size as a 400 electric..

Sunnyflyer09.. as to answer your question about the larger FP helicopters... These are the biggest I've seen... They stopped production a couple of years ago... I don't get weird looks at the field, but this one I can fly in my backyard... Parts are still easily obtained and LMH still has some parts if you need them.. For how long.. who knows...
Old 04-24-2010, 09:51 AM
bilal

hi im also intrested in fixed pitch helis as i own an alouette 2 since 1983 i have got it running again after a long time but need the instructions manual for it free as american heli one costs 38$ so any help will be appreciated i have also fitted a gyro to it and need help on how to control the right side ground drift just when skid easy im using 9cap futaba any tips pls. i want this heli atleast to hover thanks
Old 05-07-2010, 09:10 AM
jonastecknare

Hi! I bought three (yes three) old Schluter Cobras from a friend in the early 80:s . The choppers themselves was from 70 or 71 i think.
I could canibalize them and keep one flying for some time. I later gave them away which i have regretted ever since. I flew these monsters with a Veco 61 which i started with a leather string. I flew them without any gyro and it was fine. Apart from the gearbox they really worked! Im thinking of trying to scratchbuild one, bcause the were really fun and challenging. I will try to find a photo !
Jonas
Old 05-07-2010, 09:16 AM
jonastecknare

Allright found it! A young version of me iss pissed off after a flameout. And a flat to!
Jonas
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl31012.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	1432289