Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Give your 450 a woodie?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 07:52 AM
hank01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Give your 450 a woodie?

Been doing some experimentation with home brew wooden main blades on my 450. Anyone else try this? The ones in the pic below are of aircraft grade spruce and have close to 12 hours flight time on them. Aside from a few dings in the paint here and there they are holding up quite well in spite of a few ground strikes. I'm not much into 3D flying so can't comment on the high end performance of the woodies. But, while just tooling around and hovering there is no noticeable difference between them and the el-cheapo fiberglass species. One might ask why bother making blades when factory made blades are dirt cheap? It's fun to to do and talk about options. You can set your own dimensions, material type and airfoil shape. Think of it in terms of golfing- a specific club is selected for a particular shot so why not make a set blades to match one's particular style of flying? And, of course, there is the satisfaction factor. It's hard to describe the feeling that comes when you see your 'chopper zooming around on a set of main blades crafted with your own two hands.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54501.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	1484168  
Old 08-15-2010, 06:21 PM
dude7422

Default RE: Give your 450 a woodie?

hank hello nice blades ever run carbon fiber blades they are stong also
if you like building wood blades you should give bamboo a try ,,
Old 08-16-2010, 07:21 AM
hank01

Default RE: Give your 450 a woodie?

Thanks dude! Bamboo makes sense- it's tough, light in weight and easy to work. Have yet to try carbon blades. CF is tough stuff, no doubt that it's the best option. This is my first ccpm machine and I'm having a blast trying different things with it.