Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

BLADE TRACKING

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 12:43 AM
Gavin2407

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BLADE TRACKING

I have seen about a year ago, how one guy had installed blade grips with the control arms on the same side of the head. He had asked me to check his heli setup and yes, was weird how he even got it assembled the way it was but I strip everything and rebuilt heli from scratch for him. The blade grips for the old and new Raptors are different, not just a replacement part of the older ones which means you'll have to replace both grips with either the older or newer grips. Will measure and check them tonight, but I'm almost sure the control arms are longer and the grip itself is longer. Regards, Gavin
Old 09-09-2010, 07:19 AM
Flying Geezer
My Feedback: (14)

I just went over an old one and the one for the SE with a micrometer and can find no difference. At any rate i'll be using two Titan 50 grips, both new.

Am also replacing the main shaft bearings. I have become suspicious of the top one. I didn't get time to work on it yesterday.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:23 PM
Gavin2407

Apologies, my bad regarding the blade grips. They are exactly the same thing. I do hope we could get you sorted out quickly though. Keep us posted. Regards, Gavin
Old 09-09-2010, 04:48 PM
Flying Geezer

Today I have changed out the blade grip so they are both, for sure, identical. I also replaced the main shaft bearings. I don't know much about bearings. On 4 heli's I have never had a bearing go bad. The top main seemed questionable, and after I pulled it and compared it to the new ones it seemed a little rough.

Now i'll have to do a complete new setup when I get time. NFL starts tonite.

Thanks Gavin
Old 09-10-2010, 08:45 AM
jmann71

Morning Flying Geezer. i'm gonna add my 2 cents. i have read through this thread and took note that you have new blades installed. And that you have been over everything with a fine tooth comb. my honest opion is that these blades will not "fly together". i would try a new set if all else is good, seems like the next logical step.
Good Luck.

Jason
Old 09-10-2010, 09:33 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: jmann71

Morning Flying Geezer. i'm gonna add my 2 cents. i have read through this thread and took note that you have new blades installed. And that you have been over everything with a fine tooth comb. my honest opion is that these blades will not ''fly together''. i would try a new set if all else is good, seems like the next logical step.
Good Luck.

Jason

ORIGINAL: Rafael23cc
Additionally, I recently saw a pair of medium priced carbon fiber blades that were warped and showed the same symptoms. On track at a certain RPM, but out of track at a higher RPM.
ORIGINAL: Flying Geezer

I can set each blade at zero deg.. Then move the guage from the end of the blade to very close to the hub and it stays at zero deg.. I believe the blades are o.k.. Is there a better test.
ORIGINAL: Rafael23cc
I guess that is a good test. Your blades could be good. We took the baldes off the heli and looked at the leading edge and the trailing edge. There was a very slight bend on the trailing edge of one of them. Barely noticeable.
I think you might have missed parts of the thread. What would you suggest instead of dropping $80+ on a new set of blades? How can you determine that those blades "will not fly together" other than those suggestions and actions already taken?
Old 09-10-2010, 12:25 PM
jmann71

Rafael23cc,

i'm just saying that if you have replaced or ensured that every other part in a system is good. then the only thing left is to replace the blades. i not saying this is the first thing to do but last resort.

ok, reread the entire post again. ??Could the Mavrick "wide" blades be generating more lift at a lower degree of pitch verses the set of blades previously used, thus causing the heli to become "lighter" at a lower rpm, not enough for flight, but enough to get it light on the skids and allow the tail rotor to push the heli left?? what i am getting at is there is now a different (brand and type) blades installed and that the standard setup might not work.. you may have to try something different with set up.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:21 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: jmann71

Rafael23cc,

i'm just saying that if you have replaced or ensured that every other part in a system is good. then the only thing left is to replace the blades. i not saying this is the first thing to do but last resort.
I tend to agree with you there, just pointing out that the "blade option" was kicked around before and apparently dismissed.

ok, reread the entire post again. ??Could the Mavrick ''wide'' blades be generating more lift at a lower degree of pitch verses the set of blades previously used, thus causing the heli to become ''lighter'' at a lower rpm, not enough for flight, but enough to get it light on the skids and allow the tail rotor to push the heli left?? what i am getting at is there is now a different (brand and type) blades installed and that the standard setup might not work.. you may have to try something different with set up.
You could have a point there. Wide chord blades do behave differently in flight.

Rafael
Old 09-10-2010, 02:39 PM
Flying Geezer

Here's where I'm at. I tried again today, and still can't track. Monday, i'll have a new set of blades, a new set of blade grips, all new bearings for the grips, and new dampers. I'll try the new blades before changing anything else. If that doesn't work, i'll change out the grips, bearings and dampers. If that doesn't work, i'll order a new head. If that doesn't work, does anyone want a good deal on a lightly used SE with just one crash?
Old 09-10-2010, 09:11 PM
Ybenjulkay2x

I have those problem before and found it's the dampers, hold one of your blade grip, and rock it up and down if it have a play thats a sign of a bad dampers and it will give you hard time tracking those blades.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:41 PM
RC RedHots

I have had the exact same problem with a set of fiberglass blades.

No way could I get the blades to track!

I messed with them for two weeks on and off until I could not take anymore.

Bottom line one blade had just enough flex to not let them track.

New blades problem fixed.

They are now used as tomato stakes!

Not to sure if they can do that well!

RC REDHOTS

Old 09-12-2010, 04:23 PM
Ybenjulkay2x

ORIGINAL: RC RedHots
They are now used as tomato stakes!

Not to sure if they can do that well!

RC REDHOTS

Good Idea just need to pass by to a near by restaurant supply.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:04 AM
Gavin2407

My money is on the blades Bearings will cause vibration issues though but can't see it causing tracking issues unless they are incorrectly installed in the head. If no luck Geezer, I'll take it!!!
Old 09-13-2010, 04:07 PM
Flying Geezer

Let me say that I never believed from the word go that blades that are balanced perfectly with no warp could possibly not be adjusted to track. Today the little brown truck brought me a new set of blades, grips, bearings, etc..

To be sure you guys were satisfied, I balanced and installed the new (identical) blades, without making any other changes. I took it outside and they didn't track. I made two adjustments with the double link on the marked blade, (up one turn, worse, down two turns), PERFECT!

Heliproz is buying the back. They have always treated me well. They said if they weren't warped, they must have a weight moving a little in the foam inside the blade.

Thanks to all you guys, (who apparently crash a lot more than I do), for the benefit of you experience.

Seriously, I really appreciate your help.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:27 PM
jmann71

Flying Geezer,

i am so happy to hear that you are back in the air. I hate to blame new parts, but sometimes it happens that way. Happy Flying!

J
Old 09-13-2010, 04:40 PM
B.T.D.T.

Glad you're back in the air.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:53 PM
RC RedHots

Yes it always turns out it's the Butler

Great!

Always glad to hear good news!!!!

RCREDHOTS

Old 09-14-2010, 12:37 AM
Gavin2407

Hey Flying Geezer

Well the good news is you are back in the air, really glad we could assist you. The bad news, I don't get a Titan SE 4 a bargain[]. Oh well, maybe next time
Old 09-14-2010, 06:55 AM
Flying Geezer

Oh, well. The shipping cost would have been a killer.

Regards,