RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Helicopter General Discussions (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-helicopter-general-discussions-129/)
-   -   Trex 550 F3C setup (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-helicopter-general-discussions-129/11392759-trex-550-f3c-setup.html)

flyer2488 02-01-2013 06:58 AM

Trex 550 F3C setup

I am setting my Trex 550e V2 with the F3C settings that are specified in the manual. The manual illustrations show the setup for 3D. With that I assume that the linkage lengths will very from the manual to compensate for the different postioning of the ball links.

My question is should I expect to get the full pitch range (-12, +12) with the F3C setup? I'm not sure I will get the full +12 that the manual shows. I'm getting about 9-10 degrees of pitch.

I looked at the Trex700 F3C manual and it shows a pitch curve of;

Normal- +9, -3.5
Idel Up- +10, -10

Should I follow those pitch curves and throttle curves or is that specifically for that heli?<br type="_moz" />

evan-RCU 02-01-2013 10:34 AM

RE: Trex 550 F3C setup

First, your question about rod lengths. Use the manual as a guide, usually it's close but you may need an extra turn here and there. The 700e numbers are for that helo, the 550 has a much smaller disk size so I would use +/-11 or 12 if you are planning to do some 3D type manuvers.

flyer2488 02-02-2013 06:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have the flybar version of the 550. Should all the mixing arms sit 90 degrees to the main shaft? I had to shorten the linkage rods (linkage rod C) that go from the swash to the blade grips to get 0 degrees of pitch as well as the ones that go from the lower mixing arms (mixing arm L) to the flybar to get the mixing arms to sit 90 degrees. With that, at full stick the lower mixing arm assembly binds against the bottom of the head. I adjusted the swash mixing so it doesn't bind and it gives me about 9 to 10 degrees of pitch.<div></div><div>If I had left the rod lengths alone, the lower mixing arms would not sit at 90 degrees, but it would lower the mixing arm assembly enough to get the full pitch range of -12 to +12.</div><div></div><div>I was always under the impression that everything should sit 90 degrees to the main shaft. I'm out of town, I could take some pictures in a few days if this post is confusing.</div><div></div><div></div>

evan-RCU 02-02-2013 08:31 AM

When I set them up at midstick I do set everything up for 90deg. Odd that the pic you linked shows the mixer off like that, I guess you can't have both A and C at 90 so they picked C to be at 90.

My 550 is the older FBL one though through the 40 years of helos most have been fly bar'ed. Looking at my older fuel helos that are fly bar'ed the C rod is the only one not exactly 90 and it's not off much.

I would definitly want the swash to lower mixing arms all at 90 and then move the swash up and down to give you max travel.

flyer2488 02-02-2013 10:15 AM

Ok thanks for the help. I think I will try shortening the 3 linkages on the servos to lower the swash just a bit to get me the full pitch range. I should have just stuck to the 3d setup for my first build. Haha

flyer2488 02-05-2013 02:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)

<span style="font-family: Arial">Ok, I was able to get my swash leveled and swash setup for a max of -12/+12 as the manual states.I had a couple questions, keep in mind this is my first build so they may come off as dumb.Haha</span></p><div style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt"><span style="font-family: Arial">My swash setup numbers are:</span></div><div style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt"><span style="font-family: Arial">Ail: +88</span>
<span style="font-family: Arial">Ele: +86</span>
<span style="font-family: Arial">Pit: +52</span></div><div style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt"><span style="font-family: Arial"></span><span style="font-family: Arial">Should these numbers be as closer to 60, or are they fine as long as I am getting the pitch I need?</span></div><div style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt"><span style="font-family: Arial"></span><span style="font-family: Arial">Also is the flybar always trying to travel in a horizontal plane, (90 degrees to the main shaft)? Does the flybar follow the direction of the rotor disk?If I roll right will the flybar tilt right as well or will it go left to counter the roll?</span></div><div style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt"><span style="font-family: Arial">At the extreme travel of the flybar up and down, it binds with upper mixing arm.I would assume that no matter what there should be absolutely no binding.</span></div>