RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Helicopter General Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-helicopter-general-discussions-129/)
-   -   Tail Motors on lower hobby grade copters (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-helicopter-general-discussions-129/11663291-tail-motors-lower-hobby-grade-copters.html)

Sgt Schultz 04-10-2019 03:24 PM

Tail Motors on lower hobby grade copters

Hello All,
I ordered a fixed pitched heli to spend some time on before moving up to a CP. I did some research and found that the WLtoys V912 with the brushless main motor does well by many with good reviews plus there are tons of parts available.

I have a question about brushed tail motors on these non hobby grade types. Do they burn out easily because they heat up and would an aluminum heat sink make a big difference in longevity ?

Thanks in advance!

Sgt Schultz.

Rockin Heli 05-02-2019 05:18 PM

GO TIGERS !... Yes sir, the tail motors heat up and end up not working properly.I had the same problem before and I had to change out the tail motor a few times.I learned that if I would let the motor cool down after each flight it lasted longer and also got pleanty of flights in. But at first I was excited to fly that I would charge up 4 to 5 batteries at a time and thats how I ended up burning up the motors. I also know that a heat shield works better for cooling purposes but it also adds a little more weight. Anyway thats all the fun of RC helicopters, keep on flying and if I can help you in any way ,I will try to give you advice on what I have experienced.

Sgt Schultz 05-02-2019 06:00 PM

Thanks Rockin,
I haven't received my V912 yet as there was a shipping issue but!... it gave me some time to research the Blade 230S V2 ...boy does that have my name written all
over it, with its features it makes it a perfect beginner CP bird .....I'm thinking I'll goof around with the V912 FP for a while then move up to the 230S V2.

How much time do you recommend for that cool down 10 / 15 min and how many flights do you think that will buy me? I also have a spare tail motor on the way I already
have the complete crash parts kit.

Another cool find was an aluminum case that's the perfect size for RC Helis at 23 X 19 on Craigslist for 30.00 bucks.( 250 ) type sizes anyways.

Troy.

Rockin Heli 05-03-2019 01:11 PM

The 230s from what I have read is awesome.I have had a few small size Blade helis and had a lot of fun with them...of course I did crash them a lot but the parts are cheap and they allways have plenty available. Man you are going to have fun. Keep in mind if you get too frustrated in the beginning and you want to give it all up then settle down and get a simulator . When I got a simulator it helped me very good, and it didn't cost money to crash.Check it out its worth it and I pass it on to everyone that wants to fly helicopters. Later SS

Sgt Schultz 05-03-2019 01:28 PM

I have seen and read a few things about the 230S V2 from what I gather no sim time is needed if you just be patient and practice the VERY low level basics and I plan on using training gear.

I never plan on speed or trick flying as I'm pretty much a scale kinda guy. I think it would be cool if Horizon or someone would release scale bodies for the 230 series.

" Straighten up and fly right " LOL

Rockin Heli 05-03-2019 05:19 PM

Yes that would be nice to have a scale 230 size. I would like for a company to make a 600 or 700 size nitro fixed pitch. Ha Ha,love the smell of NITRO.