Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Birds crashin planes

I have been chased a few times by birds while flying my plane, but this one was personal. Was Landing my new 50cc PAU on a pretty windy day and all the sudden this pair of birds attack me. I mean, in my face trying to get my eyes etc. I had walked to the end of the field as it was windy and wanted a bit if extra room and i was attacked. Almost wrecked my plane into the restraining fence but got it on the runway with a small scuff on the wing tip. It was actually funny cause these were small birds and I am over 6 foot tall. Hmm I guess they won this one!

NOTETOSELF While it is bad to chase birds with you planes-you may get lucky!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Birds crashin planes

crazy story there, thankfully no one got hurt

a friend of mine had a mid air with a bird , in a trainer... i caused the wing to collapse and it went in, and totalled

no rc related but bird related... i used to play golf when i was a teen.... my friend tee'ed off and all we saw was an explosion of feathers and a bird plop to the ground.... that's even more rare than a hole in one
    \"Propellers are notorious for inflicting serious bodily harm while vigorously defending their space\" George Aldrich

Cape L\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'Agulhas, SOUTH AFRICA
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: gwweber

I have been chased a few times by birds while flying my plane, but this one was personal. Was Landing my new 50cc PAU on a pretty windy day and all the sudden this pair of birds attack me. I mean, in my face trying to get my eyes etc. I had walked to the end of the field as it was windy and wanted a bit if extra room and i was attacked. Almost wrecked my plane into the restraining fence but got it on the runway with a small scuff on the wing tip. It was actually funny cause these were small birds and I am over 6 foot tall. Hmm I guess they won this one!

NOTETOSELF While it is bad to chase birds with you planes-you may get lucky!

You were not specific about thetype of "birds" but I guessthese birds can break your concentration while flying...........

Cheers

Bundu
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mk25218.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	1756311  
    My experience is that continental drift sometimes causes the Earth to jump up and knock a plane out of the sky......

MetallicaJunkie
    Probably not as unuasual as we think
    my golf buddy hit a DUCK HOOK into the river at
    Foster golf course hit a mallard square in the back
    tap

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Major League Baseball game, several years ago, bird winging across the field between pitcher and catcher, all on video. Pitcher releases the ball, bird comes into picture, feathers fly, bird goes down, umpire throws up his arms, they clean off the field.

That video's probably still on You-tube someplace.

Don't know why birds would attack you. Lot of mosquitos in your cap? Gnats buzzing around your neck?

Good luck,
    Dave Olson
    The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him GKChesterton

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Red-wing blackbirds nest in the grass and are very agressive in defending the nest. They'll take on many larger birds they see as a threat. I've seen them chase crows away and they are three times as large as the blackbird.

Hit a pidgen I think it was a pidgeon a couple of weeks ago . Taking off about 6 feet off the deck and them kapow ! Usualy they get moving when they see you comming but i guess they were checking each other out . A patch the size of your diner table full of feathers and the bird flew off . I dont think it would last too long , the plane just went straight in with minimal damage . Had a few members threaten to call animal cruelty so I said fine will send them the bill for repair to my plane . Cheers the pope

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Had a fellow take on a hawk in Arizona.  Did okay until he got to close and the hawk turned and ripped up his wings.  He learned his lesson, the birds have the right of way.  They been flying for a few years longer than us.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

bundu i really like the 3rd bird from the left [X(]
    Remember: Speed is life!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This is amazing,small birds are more agressive i guess and you will agree with me now hundered percent hehehe.A little crazy thing happens with my friend and his cousin few months ago.My friend was flying his Apachi i an open field and his cousin was not taking interest in the flight at all.He was almost sleeping on the grass when Apachi gets out of control because of its tail problem and hits my friend's cousin on the back,luckily his head does not get hurt.His cousin was just 8 years old and began crying and shouting.My friend says he had no idea that where his cousin was,so it was just an accident but an interesting one i hope you people like it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Spooked a duck in tall grass on landing approach with a Rascal C. The damaged was a broken prop and wheel pant, and a landing gear wire knocked loose.
    Top Flite Brotherhood # 1
    Sig Brotherhood #21
    Ryan STA/STM/SC-M/W Brotherhood # 27
    SIG Kadet Brotherhood # 89
    Cub Brotherhood #179
    Goldberg Tiger # 73
    Vice President of the not so scale, almost ready to fly, soon to be scrap, Warbird brotherhood
    Founder and president of the Builders Slower Than a Dead Turtle Nailed to a Fence Post Association
    My bench where you always find the weird and unusual!
    I bought a reusable kit the other day, it came with it's own large black trash bag!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yesterday I heard a news report on some event at the Vatican (or wherever the Pope was.) It seems some doves were released at some kind of event, and one of the doves was attacked by a big seagull.

The report went on to say that the dove fought back and eventually chased off the seagull, pleasing the crowd.

I've seen small birds chasing larger, slower birds, I understand the larger birds will get in the smaller birds nest (and go for the eggs, I suppose) so the small birds attack the big ones.

I haven't had a bird attack, but one field where I flew was rife with little finches. They enjoyed flying back & forth in front of my vehicle as I drove away.

It's all flying, I guess.
    Dave Olson
    The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him GKChesterton

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I like the vid!
    A guy who used to live on this site and now is rarely here due to the "upgrade".
    Most likely fading away till the My Forums is fixed. Too bad.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah, peta nuts will have a fit, but it's a cool video. I frequently attact the attention of Turkey Vultures. To be a protected species, we sure seem to have an abundance of them in Tennessee. I can make a couple low circuits with any of my planes and count on attracting at least two or three. I'll even confess to having given chase to a couple now and then. But relax peta nuts, no danger of hurting those things, they are deceptively fast and agile, you can't even get close to one! One of these days I'll get some on board video and post it just to get a few folks riled up.

On another occasion, I was flying an electric J-3 at night in a very open area, heard the esc give the sound it makes when the prop hits something and my plane tumbled and starting droping like a rock. I recovered and landed to find a few small dents and punctures in the wing and cabin area that I'm pretty sure came from an owl.
    Jerry
    AMA -922698 Nomal people scare me, but not as much as I scare them...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rye

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBd-Wlsic9E i love this one
    That's a great one rye.
    Tiger Flyer #49

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i think that birds want take control that rc...lol..
    http://www.rctoyspcm.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

like this video. once this has happened with one of our club member but his plane was not crushed.

Trying flying through a large flock of sparrows. Plane didn't hit any of them but it was very disorienting to have all those little birds flying around the plane while on final. Almost crashed it.

I was watching my son fly one time and he started yelling HELP, HELP. I run over to him and he was freaking out and handed me the Tx. Apparently a fly (large horse fly) had gotten trapped under his glasses and he freaked out. I laughed all day long on that one!

skeeter
    \"It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission\".

That's why it is dangerous to fly on the beach!

skeeter

ORIGINAL: Bundubasher

ORIGINAL: gwweber

I have been chased a few times by birds while flying my plane, but this one was personal.Β* Was Landing my new 50cc PAU on a pretty windy day and all the sudden this pair of birds attack me.Β* I mean, in my face trying to get my eyes etc.Β* I had walked to the end of the field as it was windy and wanted a bit if extra room and i was attacked.Β* Almost wrecked my plane into the restraining fence but got it on the runway with a small scuff on the wing tip.Β*Β* It was actually funny cause these were small birds and I am over 6 foot tall.Β* HmmΒ*Β*Β* I guess they won this one!

NOTEΒ*TOΒ*SELFΒ*Β* While it is bad to chase birds with you planes-you may get lucky!

You were not specific about theΒ*type of ''birds''Β* but I guessΒ*these birds can break your concentration while flying...........[img][/img]

Cheers

Bundu
    \"It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission\".