Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Humor
Reload this Page >

Wings!?! What Wings!?!?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Humor Have an RC related joke or story? If it is RC humor you're looking for we have this forum to make you happy now.

Wings!?! What Wings!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 10:19 PM
KnifeEdge540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wings!?! What Wings!?!?

Just thought I'd share a story of one of my early R/C airplane adventures... I had purchased a glow powered trainer plane form a guy off of craigslist for $40 bucks. It came with everything but a radio; Engine and all! It looked like it had never been flown and I was really excited about it. I noticed that there were pegs protruding from the fuselage as to secure the 63 inch wing to the plane. I hadn't considered that there might be 'special' rubberbands to use in this senario so I just grabbed any four rubberbands I had laying around the house. My father, my girlfriend and I went to a desert area near my house ( as I reside in southern AZ) to fly the plane.Needless to say, the rubberbands didn't hold and at the bottom end of a semi aerobatic loop, the wing completely disengaged from the plane and my dad and girlfriend were forced to sprint in opposing directions to avoid being blended by the accelerating propeller-driven spear. Ahhh, the lessons we learn
Old 10-14-2012, 07:46 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Wings!?! What Wings!?!?

I have had that happen even with the proper rubber bands.

Plenty of desert around Tucson. Really nice model fields too.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:36 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had an experience with my wings coming off once.

At our field we had a small tree that was not right on the glide path, but a little off to the right side of the runway about 100 feet of the end of the runway. It started out as a twig and had grown to about 15 feet tall. I think it was either a Mesquite or Mulberry tree.

It was mid fall and I was flying a plane much like the one in my avator. I was going to come in low and touch down at the end of the paved run way and be able to stop where I was standing which was about mid way of the run way.

As I made the cross wind turn I was about 10 feet high and getting ready to make the final down wind turn on to final approach when all of a sudden my plane exploded in mid air. It was the monokoted wings exploding as the plane went through the tree, and the fuselage emerging from the other side as a torpedo.

Since the field was on Corp of Engineers property, we couldn't cut the tree down without their permission. The tree lasted a few more years before it "disappeared". I don't know if permission was granted or not, but it was gone.

Frank

Old 10-14-2012, 04:03 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I miss your point Frank-what does your crash or tree at your flying field have to do with wings coming off in mid flight??
Old 10-14-2012, 04:07 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL, it's all about the CoE and preserving trees.

I have ripped the wing saddle out of a Viper and Seeker Q500 plane at speed. From firsthand experience, the fuse does not fly well without the wing.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:44 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

10-12 #64 rubberbands are the recomended amount for a .40 size trainer